FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 1:06 pm   Permalink

I have been away for a few days and just caught this thread.
Cleen, this is a perfect thread of why I come here.
Thank you for the inspiring info. You never let us down.
Unga

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 1:51 pm   Permalink

Did you learn anything about the Islander that was in Los Angeles? Was it opened by Hop Louie, or by Tommy Lee (or someone else entirely)?

(Man, I've got a lot of Critiki updating to do now!)

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-07-14 13:52 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 11:09 am   Permalink

Hey Everyone,

I showed my dad Tikicleen's article, and asked him a lot of questions. But I left my notes at my parent's house, so I'll post what information I have later.

But anyway, it's no longer a rumor or urban legend, my dad confirmed that Hop Louie did indeed lose the Islander through gambling. But he said it was either through poker or pai gow.

Oh, and my dad said that Hop Louie didn't have mob ties. Darn it. That would make it only more interesting :)

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 12:15 pm   Permalink

humu~ the LA islander had a different owner. but as to who it was i have no idea. ask bob at OA he'll know the name of the person for sure.

paranoid~ that's what we had thought! did your dad know if he lost minnies in stockton and modesto the same way?

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 6:30 pm   Permalink

A+ for you and a
Perfect spelling, grammar and delivery. I will have one gumdrop for you the next time we see each other.

Chongolio

Hop louie what a cool name

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 10:48 pm   Permalink

What a perfect post! Great research Cleen & Hat. Now Nina & I really must make the trek to Minnie's. Sorry we couldn't make it out on the last trip. Thanks for sharing all of your most excellent sleuthing!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Ape
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 06:03 am   Permalink

Just wanted to I really enjoyed your historical research, it made for a very enjoyable read.

View Profile of Fez Ape Send a personal message to Fez Ape      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 10:28 am   Permalink

Here's pics of the Minnie's Stockton menu :

And Minnie's Modesto menu :

[ This Message was edited by: puamana 2010-01-02 20:55 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-18 10:52 am   Permalink

What, no Oysta Beef on the menu?!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 2:57 pm   Permalink

puamana~ awesome! that cover of the gong lee's menu looks eerily similar to the matson lines menu cover for hawaii. i also like the note to the diner on the inside cover talking about how minnie's "takes justifiable pride in being listed in Duncan Hines' latest edition 'Adventures in Good Eating'." if we only knew the year!! i'd love to track down that duncan hine's book.

paranoid~ thanks for clarifying and confirming the loss of the islander to gambling. keep looking for some pictures of your uncle hop!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 9:56 pm   Permalink

Cleen, thanks so much to you guys for this thread. It just keeps getting better and better! I can't believe that Stockton Minnie's info. My strange, semi-inexplicable fondness for Stockton nurtured anew! Ahhhh.

Seriously...East Harding...I think that's about where some good thrift stores are now...yum, skid row(s). Always interesting, at least until gentrification destroys everything nifty. Dang, I'm jonesing for Stockton now. Not to mention Modesto.

Thanks again and see you soon I hope!

xo tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 12:44 am   Permalink

Aloha,

This comment was lost in the change from fake name to the real name.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2011-11-29 22:57 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:07 pm   Permalink

Filslash, you've just helped fill in a HUGE Chris Isaak missing link for me. Neato! Thanks! I'd love to hear any of his or Kenny's reminiscences...

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:46 pm   Permalink

filslash, I know it's a long shot but it would be very cool if Chris or any of his bandmates could meet us sometime at Minnie's. He could show up in a disguise,...or not,....and I promise we wouldn't reveal his true identity. uh-huh, really.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hop Louie's

Posted: 2005-08-15 12:30 am   Permalink

I am one of Hop Louie's daughters, and I just signed on this forum yesterday.

FYI: Hop did not lose the Islander to gambling.

I am checking with my other sisters about some of the things we might have left from any of the restaurants since the 1950's.

Please understand that that I am not a real computer/internet savvy type and it will take me a while to get a hang of this and I will try to post interior shots of Hop's restaurants when they were happening.

Mahalo ...

View Profile of Hop Louie's Send a personal message to Hop Louie's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation