FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 07:50 am   Permalink

cool! great finds david!! what do you make of the top of it? is that metal in the middle? was the tiki somehow used as part of the stair railings?

any chance the article in the record can be posted here too?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 09:35 am   Permalink

Here it is:

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100228/A_NEWS0803/2280303

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 5:08 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your posted comments! That is a metal disk of some sort, I couldn't take it off and there was no disk on the bottom. There were no other markings on the Tiki other than the "ISLANDER" on top. Maybe some one put it on to cover a hole in the center. It looks like it is attached by big nails. There is no easy way to really get it off.

I have been looking at it more closely along side the the BOS photo. I'm not sure now if this is an indeed the same exact Tiki as in the photo. Does any one else have an opinion on this?

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-03-02 5:39 pm   Permalink

abstractiki - I also noticed that tiki looks similar to these ones in the Tahiti Bar at the Marie Antoinette Restaurant in Quebec:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 9:18 pm   Permalink

Yah, if you look close you can see that those are 2 different tikis.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-02 10:48 pm   Permalink

WOW! David, what an amazing discovery! Any chance the owner will part with them? If anyone deserves to have those tikis in their collection, it is you, my friend!

Great work, let the tiki sleuthing continue!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 08:06 am   Permalink

hey paranoid! thanks for the link, and hope things are going well in nyc for you!

vic- holy smokes, you must have perfect vision! where is the difference??!

sabu- nice find in comparisons. im guessing that both places were supplied by OA? any guesses on who carved these fellas?

david, nice article! it is awesome to see someone pick up the torch and turn it into a raging inferno. im glad to see all of your hard work get chronicled in the local newspaper. i'll admit, it is difficult to be completely out of it now in getting leads on the islander (read: a touch of jealousy), but i do enjoy seeing the updates and madly respect your sleuthing skills and dedication. i just wish that i also could have received the same response and interest from the stockton record when i was sniffing around there doing research for the initial post of this thread. i hope you are able to uncover more stories, pictures, and artifacts -- and are willing to share the stories on tc so we can vicariously live through you!

Quote:

On 2010-03-02 17:08, abstractiki wrote:
Thanks everyone for your posted comments! That is a metal disk of some sort, I couldn't take it off and there was no disk on the bottom. There were no other markings on the Tiki other than the "ISLANDER" on top. Maybe some one put it on to cover a hole in the center. It looks like it is attached by big nails. There is no easy way to really get it off.

I have been looking at it more closely along side the the BOS photo. I'm not sure now if this is an indeed the same exact Tiki as in the photo. Does any one else have an opinion on this?

as for the tiki being the exact same one, i would have to guess maybe(?) if you look at the woo family's photo, you can see another one at the bottom of the other stairs. i think these guys were staffed next to the bottom (and maybe tops?) of each stair railing. you can see in the pic that there is metal in the back of them, maybe to stablize them to the wall. i would have to guess that they were supplied by oceanic arts, and that there were probably quite a few of them. neil pollard told me that each stair rail had tikis that supported them, but i could never get a very clear picture as to where they were and what they looked like. someone sold me a tiki rail a few years back that claimed it was from the islander, but it was marked "trader vic's" because the seller felt it would draw more interest. however, i'm pretty sure now that he was bullshitting me.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 08:44 am   Permalink

Wow, very cool work and find. That tahitian tiki is beautiful.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 11:03 am   Permalink

Hey! Just read the article from the Stockton Record, and I'm mentioned in it!

"Lincoln Center's Islander remains the Big Kahuna... It is still revered in tiki circles.
That's no exaggeration. Recently I attended a tiki convention in Modesto. A tiki buff up all the way from North Hollywood was wearing an Islander logo on a necklace."

I'M THAT TIKI BUFF!!! From West Hollywood, not North Hollywood, but who's to quibble when you get some ink in an article about the Islander?
And I have proof! Here's the pendant the author mentioned:

Yay! A brush with tiki fame!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2010-03-03 11:04 ]

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 9:06 pm   Permalink

Sabu - Yup! it sure does, nice postcard.

JT - I'll see you next week at Minnie's, don't forget the Rum!

Tobung - Thanks! I gave him my card and asked him to call me if he ever wanted to sell them. And yes you are indeed the Tiki Buff he's talking about! The Tiki sleuthing shall continue, Cheers!

Virani - thank you.

Tikicleen - Ive always felt that the Islander is your baby and your approval means allot to me. It was Svens book Tiki Modern and this Hop Louie thread you started in particular that got me hooked on this urban Tiki archeology. You laid the ground work for me and for what was to come. You made it all possible. I really owe you big Mahalo. I shall not rest until all the Islander Tikis are accounted for!!!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tucker's Tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-07 11:02 am   Permalink

Nice, I like Image heavy posts of the historical variety. After visiting and throughly enjoying this site for quite a while now, I thought It might be time to finally join in. I'm an animation professional who spent a good twenty years in Hawaii, and has been an avid Tiki fan for decades.
See ya next Post.
Cheers

View Profile of Tucker's Tikis Send a personal message to Tucker's Tikis  Goto the website of Tucker's Tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

on the nose the swirly line is different (starts off staighter on left, more curvy on right) and there is more wood taken off under the eye of the one on the right.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2010-03-07 13:17 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 7:51 pm   Permalink

Tommy Lee's oldest daughter (Valerie Lee Acoba) just sent me this family photo. I don't know the date but it was in the 70's. Mahalo Valerie.

Tommy Lee and family in front of the Islander, 1970's

tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-08 9:37 pm   Permalink

OH

MY

TIKI

GODS!!!!

Val Acoba taught at my high school!!!!! Never had her as a teacher; she taught dance, but I sure remember that name... she probably wouldn't know me, though.

I always look forward to updated from abstractiki, but this really blows my mind!!!!

COOL PIC, by the way, thanks for posting! I'm guessing that's Val in front in the lavender blouse? SHe was much older when I knew of her!

[ This Message was edited by: tobunga 2010-04-08 21:40 ]

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 5:53 pm   Permalink

ISLANDER FIVE 0, FOSTER P.I.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation