FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 6:26 pm   Permalink

Tobunga, yup that's her! Small world, she just recently retired her teaching job and is now producing theater. She still lives in Stockton.

Jungle Trader, ha ha, I loved that show, I've been watching it on HULU internet TV! Maybe it's rubbing off on me.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 6:28 pm   Permalink

Breaking Islander NEWS!

I'm sad to report that the Islander's last days are upon us. Demolition is imminent.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 11:04 am   Permalink

The end has finally come for the Stockton Islander. I was there a few hours ago and took these pictures.

TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 11:06 am   Permalink

DAMN!!!!!!!!
What tha hell ?
I dont live anywhere near the place and I feel sad!
Can somebody grab me a piece of the place?

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 11:12 am   Permalink

Another great building is down
Thanks for the photos and news again.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 11:40 am   Permalink

Another one bites the dust.
Thanks for a great thread Cleen!
May it continue.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 12:09 pm   Permalink

Doh!!
Bastards!!!

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 1:20 pm   Permalink

God I hate demolition photographs!!

Sorry to see the building go...what a waste.

Thanks again to abstractiki - for distributing the famous Islander bamboo souvenirs that help memorialize this once-grand tiki temple.

Thanks for the update guys (I think).

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-04-13 1:40 pm   Permalink

That Sucks!! What A great old place.. Those that were fortunate enough to go to the Islander back in the day, Long live the memories you have..
Abstractiki ~ Again mahalo's to you for all the updates and my awesome bamboo from there.. It's all history now...
I think I'll have to have a mai tai in my Islander mug now..
Aloha Islander

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 2:50 pm   Permalink

F*CK !

What a damn shame.

Thanx to you Abstract, I DO have a piece of bamboo from there.

You should have tried to get those doors.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 3:30 pm   Permalink

what a sight to see.

its incredible that it stayed this long, considering it was supposed to be torn down back in spring 2007. while its very sad to see the images of it being ripped apart, it was depressing to drive past it in its abandoned defunct state. i cant help but think of the kahiki video that was made when the guy filmed the entire demolition of the kahiki with corresponding depressing background music while it rained. guess we'll see if a walgreens pops up it in its place.....

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 6:35 pm   Permalink

Abstract,

Thanks for the final photos, glad that someone who cares was there to say goodbye to the old gal.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-13 6:50 pm   Permalink

Dang.

While it still stood, I always harbored a tiny hope that it could somehow be resurrected... no chance of that now...

Mahalo Tikicleen for starting this post and all your research and Abstractiki for your tireless urban archaeology! You inspired Manuel and I to sneak into the abandoned building twice on our recent trips up to Stockton, and I'm so glad we had a chance to actually stand beneath the a-frame of this classic tiki temple!

Guess I shouldn't bother trying to win the lottery now... woulda bought the Islander and brought it back into town and reopened it!
Too bad I'm not a millionaire! Heck, are there ANY millionaires out there who have any affinity for classic tiki culture? Where are you guys?!?! Help save our tiki past! AAAAAAAA!!!!!!

I'm sad now... but we'll raise a mai tai tonight to toast the Stockton Islander and mourn the departing of its earthly remains...

LONG LIVE THE STOCKTON ISLANDER!!!!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 11:39 am   Permalink

Warning! Sad and shocking photos!

Thank you everyone for your comments. On Tuesday there was a lot of media including Lodi News Sentinel who interview me for their story. Channel 10 News and the Stockton Record were among the others. I also met with the demolition contractor who is a nice guy that has fond memories of the Islander and Latitude 20.

By Wednesday I heard there was a whole bunch of people watching it. I couldn't stick around since my daughter was sick. They didn't get done with the demolition until last night.

Photo posted on Facebook by Ron, a Stockton Historical group member.

I took this picture early this morning.

I managed to salvage an outrigger beam from the debris.

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 12:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2010-04-15 12:11 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation