FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 3:40 pm   Permalink

A sad sight, indeed.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-15 4:19 pm   Permalink

From the ashes we can build another day .....Moody Blues

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-18 8:36 pm   Permalink

Had no idea that demolition day had come - just drove past the heap of debris that was the Islander

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-19 03:10 am   Permalink

Philistines
Another Tiki palace that now only resides in the memory of those fortunate enough to have enjoyed the experience of its grandeur. May its passing not be forgotten. (tissue please)
Trader Bob

View Profile of Trader Bob Send a personal message to Trader Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-29 4:08 pm   Permalink

I recently met with Marty Thorpe of Stockton and he gave me this awesome photo. (Thanks Marty) That's him with his hot rod in front of the Islander's Latitude 20 lounge in 1968. He was about 19 in the photo.

The Latitude was 3,500 sq ft and extended west from the Main Islander building. The entrance was facing the same direction as the Islander's.

Note the Islanders roof line, how small it seems in the distance.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2010-04-30 12:29 pm   Permalink

That is a sweet photo! It's got all the right elements.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 1:07 pm   Permalink

and lotsa coolness!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-30 1:51 pm   Permalink

Funny, I think of silver as a car color for the new millennium...I didn't think silver was a popular car color back in the 60's. I don't think it came as a standard manufacturers color. Anyone have any knowledge on this ?

That car looks badass in silver.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-30 5:32 pm   Permalink

I just realized the front of the car was cut off in that last picture so I scanned it again. The colors are almost dead on comparing the computer screen to the original but in the original photo the car looks like it might have a bit of a gold tone to it.

The Islander/Latitude was right on corner of Pacific Ave. and Benjamin Holt Drive. Pacific Ave was the main drag and cruising was big there during the sixties. I used to cruise it myself in 79-82 and even at 14 I rode my bike to this corner to watch the action. Then it was outlawed in the mid 80's and just as the Islander left Pacific Ave in the mid 80's so did cruising, end of and era.

Yea, I love this picture, this is a classic period photo. I almost fell over when he showed it to me.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 10:03 am   Permalink

Wow!

Leave it to abstractiki to dig up such a cool photo!

And finally the entrance to Latitude 20 in relation to the rest of the Islander is established! That question has been driving me nuts for quite some time now!

From the photo, it looks like it's much farther from the A-frame than would be accommodated in what was moved out to the Pollardville site.

Abstractiki, do you know if the Latitude 20 addition to the Islander was moved with the rest of the building or not?

Mahalo!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Found this by accident:
Anybody's dad in there?

"In 1972 the North Stockton Rotary Club met at the "Islander Restaurant" Nightclub called "Latitude 20". Needless to say, if those walls could talk......"

Blog with larger photo.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 1:34 pm   Permalink

unga! is that YOU??!

i think tobunga posed a good question. it seems like latitude 20 wasnt part of the move since it appears to be such a long extension from the a-frame. however, in all of the articles that talked about the big move to pollardville, it only mentions how the cut the place into three sections; top, and halved the bottom.

cool pic of marty!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 1:41 pm   Permalink

Good finds all around, guys. Jim, I remember that in the early 60s some American car makers offered "silver metallic" paint jobs, not just silver (grey), but green metallic, blue metallic and so on.

True, that Lattitude 20 entrance is like a different restaurant than the Islander! I wonder if the Barney West Moai was gone, or is just out of frame to the left. I tried to lighten the shadows to see more of the Tiki, you might have more luck with it doing that in the scanner:

The Tiki on the right of the porch is almost not visible. For comparison:

I would love to see a good quality shot of the sign-Tiki between "cocktails" and "dancing"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 1:42 pm   Permalink

seeing those demo photos made my stomach leap.

when i first moved here I knew nothing about the Islander and took a pic of that building just because of the A Frame.

I can understand why its been torn down but how I would of loved to have seen it first hand in its hey day.

such a bummer

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-01 3:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-01 13:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
I would love to see a good quality shot of the sign-Tiki between "cocktails" and "dancing"

I remembered this matchbook: Looks like it was THIS guy:

Sort of a Tiki baby. Reminds me of Sponge Bob when his lips are trembling and his eyes are watering
Now Eric is gonna make a felt Tiki out of it !

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2010-05-01 16:07 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation