FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-26 9:34 pm   Permalink

That's great to see new artifacts from the Islander still being discovered. Eric O's Islander print looks great in the real Islander bamboo. Nice work DC.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 2:44 pm   Permalink

I found it! I have been hunting this sacred tiki for a long time and I almost lost hope that this Islander tiki mystery would ever be solved.

I found the big moai tiki that sat outside the Islander. What luck, you won't believe the luck I had. The gods are with me.

Here is the story. I was at my reception for my annual art show a few weeks ago. A good Friend of mine was playing guitar and singing there and I knew he had fond memories of the Islander from his younger days in Stockton. I walked up and gave him an 8x10 photo of the Islander and an Islander mug as a gift.

When I was done an old man who had seen me do that approached me and said,"you know, I have one of those Islander tikis in my yard". At first I thought it was an other man who I had already talked to and visited a few years ago. Then he said no that's not me you have never been to my house. My jaw dropped and my eyes got big. He said it was real big and heavy and it was one of the ones from the outside. Oh my God I thought could this be the one? Well I got his contact info and today I made the trek to Stockton to see it in person.

The tiki looked pretty good for being so old and being left out in the elements all these years. It had no identifiers carved into it and had a lot of dry-rot. The old man said he got it in a trade from Neal Pollard right before Neal moved the Islander from Lincoln Center to Pollard Ville. He said he went to high school with Neal and they were old friends. He and his wife have many fond memories of the old Islander.

Bottom is in cement.

The eyes still look cool.

Some dry rot damage.

Guardian of the Islander Moai Tiki for almost 30 years.

Happy Hunting!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 3:13 pm   Permalink

Abstract,

That's....AMAZING!

We need to help preserve that Tiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 3:46 pm   Permalink

Abstractiki, Love how your relentless drive is producing results...Congrats and Great Job! OGR

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2012-10-21 6:33 pm   Permalink

Fabulous work Abstract...you must be part of the TIU (Tiki Investigation Unit)!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 7:18 pm   Permalink

Always nice work Abstractiki!!

Thanks for the great story and pictures!!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 9:43 pm   Permalink

Whoa! How cool is that?!?!

I have painted, drawn, carved and sculpted that tiki several times over in my various representations of the Islander! So great to see that it still exists!

MAHALO Abstractiki for all your urban archaeology that keeps the memory of the Stockton Islander alive!!!

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-21 9:55 pm   Permalink

Eureka!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 07:43 am   Permalink

eureka! exactly my thoughts!!

it's great to see that it still exists AND that it was located by being in the right place at the right time. i love it when things fall into place so magically. great find abstract!

for over a year, i have had some information from a person that has a family member with one of the tikis that was "just inside the front" -- the one that "didn't have a large crack running through it" and i always wondered if they were talking about this moai or possibly a sheltered tiki (the bumatay??). through other stalker-like methods, i think i have narrowed down the house it is at, but i have no way of making contact with the person without seeming like a total stalker-doofus. maybe we should compare notes to see if this is the same person, or if this is another lead that you could possibly take on?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 09:33 am   Permalink

Nice work as always Abstract! So much Islander history would have been lost to the sands of time without your hard work.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 1:03 pm   Permalink

awesome story!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 3:45 pm   Permalink

That is amazing! Great urban archaeology!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 3:50 pm   Permalink

THIS is why I love Tiki Central. great work!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 5:36 pm   Permalink

Mahalo DC, OGR, Vamp, BB, Tobunga, big bro, tiki C, TB, 1963, LD and Big K. I appreciate the comments and encouragement.

Tiki C, I will send you a PM and we can compare notes.

DC, preservation was definitely on my mind. When I first talked to the old man at my art show reception he wanted to trade the tiki for my biggest painting. The painting was for sale for $700.00 and I told him if I verify that it is an Islander tiki I'll do it and we exchanged contact info. The next day he called me and said his wife would not let him trade it or sell it. I was disappointed but I was still ecstatic that it may be the missing Moai tiki.

When I met with him I explained the whole urban "tiki archeology thing" and the "part of Americas popular culture and history" thing. I told him how a collector would store it out of the rain and sun and try to preserve it. I showed so much interest and affection for this tiki he said if it were up to him he would give it to me but his wife wouldn't let him.

He said it was in cement and very heavy. It took 4 men to carry it and it dented his truck when he got it.

I would love to see this tiki and others like it preserved and displayed in "America's Polynesian Pop Culture Museum" when it's built by one of us TC'ers that wins the Super Lotto.

Maybe someday they will move or his wife will change her mind and they will let me have it. I didn't press the issue at all. At least I know it is safe, has not been painted a bunch of goofy colors and it's not in a landfill.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-22 6:00 pm   Permalink

Abstractiki, truly a fascinating story of re-discovering and re-connecting with the past! Don't let this slip away - there may be another opportunity in the near future. She may someday come to tick him off about something else and may cause him to call you and give it away when she's not looking. That's how it sometimes goes... <smirk>

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation