FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-24 8:28 pm   Permalink

super! i am so glad this finally all panned out for you david.

and i concur with boris and sven! they definitely chose well, and samea is welcomed here anytime.

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 6:16 pm   Permalink

Mahalo for the comments DC, tikiman, BB, OGR, Big Bro and Tikicleen.

Big Bro here is some "samoa of Samea" and the others. A few closeups with a touch of photoshoped contrast so we can adequately study these exquisite artifacts.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-25 10:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-24 14:40, bigbrotiki wrote:
Give me samoa of Samea!

Hokeh Hokeh....THAT'LL do, THANK YOU !!!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-26 02:13 am   Permalink

Send all of those paintings to GROG!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-26 9:36 pm   Permalink

Great work again, Abstractiki!

Thanks so much for sharing your latest discovery! So great to find out not all was lost from the Islander.

Do you have any idea where in the restaurant these hung?

What was the condition of the paintings when you saw them up close? Have the aged well? Sometimes it's hard to get a proper assessment from photos

Oh! And do you have a approximate size on the moai that was out in front?

Mahalos again for all your tiki sleuthing!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 09:13 am   Permalink

Can you EVEN imagine paintings like that hanging in a restaurant these days??

There is ONE velvet painting that is way less suggestive than those, hanging in the Dagger Bar at Don the Beachcomber. The management have had all kinds of complaints about it. AND IT'S IN THE BAR!! Ahhhh!!!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-27 09:13, Luckydesigns wrote:
Can you EVEN imagine paintings like that hanging in a restaurant these days??

There is ONE velvet painting that is way less suggestive than those, hanging in the Dagger Bar at Don the Beachcomber. The management have had all kinds of complaints about it. AND IT'S IN THE BAR!! Ahhhh!!!

Spike,
This one aka "Melon Girl" is hanging in Frankie's.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 10:02 am   Permalink

We all know that Moss and Frankies is an anomaly! Haha...
Nice grab though, Ben!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 6:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-26 21:36, tobunga wrote:
Great work again, Abstractiki!

Thanks so much for sharing your latest discovery! So great to find out not all was lost from the Islander.

Do you have any idea where in the restaurant these hung?

What was the condition of the paintings when you saw them up close? Have the aged well? Sometimes it's hard to get a proper assessment from photos

Oh! And do you have a approximate size on the moai that was out in front?

Mahalos again for all your tiki sleuthing!

Thanks T,
The paintings were in pretty good shape,some scratches and blemishes here and there and some were better than others. They basically haven't been moved in 30 years but they do have a few imperfections and i'm sure they faded from their original brightness when new due to smoke and dust in the restaurant.

The only one with a major tear was the third one down. She is standing holding a white sheet behind her. She has a large cut to the left of her stomach. It is about 5 or 6 inches long. The owner told me that this one was hanging in the kitchen. All the rest were hanging in the main dinning area.

The Moi was 5.5 ft tall and about a foot was buried in cement so i would say it was about 6 and 1/2 feet tall.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hop Louie II

Posted: 2013-05-04 9:25 pm   Permalink

Mahalo! I haven't been on this site since 2005. I am the daughter of Hop Louie & Minnie and have been working on their family business history since my father past away in 1988. I think it so great that he was so admired and appreciated for his restaurant career. You have done a wonderful job in piecing together this aspect of his life. I will be visiting Stockton & Modesto in May and would like to possibly meet with some of the "old-timers" that use to know Minnie & Hop back "in-the-day". Please send me a message here if you have any information or leads for me.

Again, Hop and his family thank you for piecing his TIKI years. Mahalo, Elaine

View Profile of Hop Louie II Send a personal message to Hop Louie II      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 6:43 pm   Permalink

I had a long conversation with Hop Louie II last night on the phone and she wanted me to convey her deep appreciation to all the TC Ohana who have contributed to this thread.

I will soon be working with her to bring more information on Hop Louie's remarkable life and career to Tiki Central. This should include some more Islander artifacts and photos. This is a great opportunity and I'm really looking forward to it.

To all the Tiki Central urban archaeologists out there, please keep searching and posting new discoveries as they are made.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 9:59 pm   Permalink

Wonderful news, can't wait! I wonder if she has seen Eric's Islander bowl, the best of all his tributes to the place yet:

(Sold immediately, of course)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-10 10:18 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC Hop Louie II!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-11 3:46 pm   Permalink

WOWZA! I just saw the post on the paintings, for the first time. Those are amazing. Great job of sleuthing, as usual, Abstract.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-12 05:21 am   Permalink

A-LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HA HOP SING III!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation