FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-21 10:18 pm   Permalink

unfortunately, the chapter of the islander is coming to an official close.

the building the hop louie built from the ground up, and turned into a polynesian pop temple will face demolition in the spring of 2007. the pollards, which own pollardville/chicken kitchen sold the land to a developer who will most likely build housing and strip malls in the lot. they ran the infamous roadside stop for numerous years and have decided to retire and sell the land. they were responsible for saving the almost historical landmark islander building from uncertain future in the early 1980s when lincoln center could not rent it out.

there has been some questionable rumours about certain individuals who are interested in buying the building and moving it to a different location (i heard even the bay area!) but it is highly doubtful.

so cherish it while you can, visit it now before it is gone forever!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 3:19 pm   Permalink

Kudos to tikicleen and the drunken hat for sharing in your research and photos over the past few months. Driving past the old place in Pollardville nearly every day for many, many years, it seemed so incredibly sad to see it decay through time. It seemed so much more impressive as a memory than to see it now. I would like to think that someone would purchase the building, relocate and restore it to its former glory, but I would venture to say that it is way beyond repair since it has been left to rot in Pollardville for 20 years. Thanks to you guys, at least there is some history to savor and remember here.

On a related note, a couple of years ago I ran into an antiques dealer in Clements that said he was talking to someone from the valley who was compiling Islander photos and artifacts for a book on the subject. Was that you guys? Just wondering....

[ This Message was edited by: quickiki 2006-08-22 16:05 ]

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 3:28 pm   Permalink

Tikicleen...what a great post and so damm informative...Who said learning can't be fun?..oh wait, most of us did in high school...seriously I really enjoyed reading of the history of the Islander...I'm still up a creek if there is a test later...I hope I can buy you a drink on the Hooptylau!!!!

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wahoo

Posted: 2006-08-25 09:36 am   Permalink

Great research! My dad lived in Stockton in the 1960-70. I'll have to show him this post and pics. I recall visiting the Islander when I was little going back to visit family in Stockton (we moved in 1971).

View Profile of wahoo Send a personal message to wahoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-27 10:31 am   Permalink

thanks for the great compliments everyone. having a great group of people back you on these types of projects further motivates us to do more digging in the urban jungle. we really appreciate the positive responses to our post.

quickiki, you hit the nail on the head. there have been swirls of talks about someone maybe scooping up the building and moving it elsewhere. but in reality, even if one had the money to do such a thing, there would be much restoration and repair jobs to perform. it just is not feasible, unfortunately.

i know the antique dealer you speak of quickiki, yet i cannot recall his name. we always referred to him as "chuckles" and he had a huge lot of stockton islander postcards that he found in a dumpster. he closed up shop a couple years ago, but still would show up to sell at the alameda swap meet time to time. as for your question, nope that wasnt us. it was always our intention to do research on the islander to satisfy our curiosities, and then report back all that we found on tc for everyone to see.

when are we going to be able to coerce you into coming down to our place?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-28 11:13 am   Permalink

hey guys, from time to time my wife and I stumble around Minnie's and/or Modesto. Maybe some Friday or Saturday night we could hook-up (not this weekend though - DUI patrol, you know!). PM me when you'd like to meet sometime or if you're in the Stockton area!

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:04 pm   Permalink

and on july 4th, 2007;

~finally free to reside in a tiki bar~

happy independence day!

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:08 pm   Permalink

Huh? Don't tell me you finally got your hands on it?!?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:12 pm   Permalink

Hip Hip Fucking Hip Hip Hooray!

Congratulations and all my best!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and that is too cool)!

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-04 14:04, tikicleen wrote:
and on july 4th, 2007;

~finally free to reside in a tiki bar~

NO WAY!!!! C'mon out with it, you gotta tell us. That is EPIC!

Chongz

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:44 pm   Permalink

He couldn't have found a better home.
Congrats you two!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2007-07-04 2:46 pm   Permalink

YAY! I am so Happy for you.

Congratulations!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 06:53 am   Permalink

It's like the Elgin Marbles

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 07:10 am   Permalink

nice story!! and even better pic of the vintage sign.....can you guess what my next sign replica project is going to be now???

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManFromT.I.K.I.
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-05 10:22 am   Permalink

I've been reading this thread with great interest--thanks for the research on this lost landmark. It really was a landmark in the true sense of the word. So conspicuously located on Pacific Ave. and different from anything else around it. You really couldn't miss it.

Makes me wish I had appreciated it more, but sadly for me at the time I didn't see it for the special place that was. I was sad to see it moved away though . . .

I'm really happy that the tiki went to someone who can fully enjoy it as one of the last vestiges of this particualr piece of Polynesian-Americana.

View Profile of ManFromT.I.K.I. Send a personal message to ManFromT.I.K.I.      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation