FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
the lost chapter: Hop Louie and the Stockton Islander (image heavy)
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 1:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-08 11:56, martiki wrote:
similar bumatay was also at Kelbo's: (in the back)

That's interesting; another element shared by the Islander and Kelbo's was the
"Smiley mug" which was apparently based on the post illustrated on the left side of the ad. (I seem to recall seeing the same post in a photo from La Mariana as well.)

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 1:30 pm   Permalink

That is known as the logo Tiki concept.

Oh, and then there is THIS famous example of the Bumatay ray-eyes, of course!:

The one odd thing is that the Islander statue has the rays IN the eyes,

...while the mug and all the other examples have them AROUND the eyes...!!? Oh the perplexing mysteries of Tiki archeology!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-08 7:56 pm   Permalink

Boy they really liked this guy at the Islander! They even put him on the menu!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-11 10:05 am   Permalink

If the broiler could be saved, the Islander can be saved. Never give up!

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8384&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 10:56 am   Permalink

Unfortunately I think the Islander's structure is too far gone; it would be necessary to start from scratch. As a restaurant, it hasn't existed for 25 or 30 years. It would sure be nice to get the original construction blueprints.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 6:34 pm   Permalink

That's right, never give up! You could probably get it for free if you just hauled it a way, if someone had 5 acres and were a handy man or contractor it would be the greatest home tiki bar project. Imagine the Islander in your back yard! .....I know, I know im dreamin again.

Here are a few more pics:

Tommy Lee 1974

The "Hawaii 69 Revue" publicity photo for 1969 Islander appearance

"Nui Nui Evalani" 1969 Islander publicity photo billed as a genuine Polynesian princes

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-11 18:43 ]

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 6:40 pm   Permalink

I found this awesome photo of The Stockton Islander at the Bank of Stockton Archives. The information sheet will be arriving soon by U.S. Mail so I'll update this post with that info later.

Note the Moai lights on the tables!

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 6:55 pm   Permalink

Nice job Abstractiki!

Great photo. Who would have thought to find Tiki archives in the bank vault. How the hell did you figure that one out?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 7:01 pm   Permalink

That's a great photo - nice and clear. I'm curious as to why the Bank of Stockton has the photo; was is taken during a company lunch/dinner/event? What was it that prompted you to contact them?

Those moai lamps are cool! I think I've spotted a mug just in front of the guy in the foreground; looks like its one of the "peanut" maori or ku mugs.

There's a short pole/carving just behind the rail on the lower right, but I can't make out what it is.

Thanks again for posting these photos, it's nice to see this thread come back to life!

Ovarian Cancer Research

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 7:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks Dusty & LOL T!

I was diggin on the Bali Hai Apartments and contacted a reporter who had written about the Bali Hai Moai in one of his columns a few years ago. He gave me the tip! The bank has over 26,000 photos. They use them in there calenders and art shows and such. The bank got most of the photos donated to them by the estates of area photographers. These photographers had long standing photo businesses in the community and worked on many projects over their life times. They never threw any thing out. The families recognizing the old picture as history of the community wanted to preserve them, but didn't want to store them and wanted their loved ones pictures to live on and benefit the citizens.

[ This Message was edited by: abstractiki 2009-10-13 19:17 ]

tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 08:01 am   Permalink

excellent idea!! after driving around for years on hwy 99 and seeing those "bank of stockton" billboards with all of the historical photos, it kills me that the thought never crossed my mind to further explore. fantastic!!!

it's pretty cool to see these photos side by side. can you spot the differences?

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 09:50 am   Permalink

You mean the "Supremes" cover act? You certainly could not be pointing out the thatch-less ceiling and the ugly-ass disco mirror ball spaceship. Nice catch Mr. Cleen. Also keep up the great work all.

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 09:58 am   Permalink

looks like some wall elements have changed but its hard to tell...

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 10:09 am   Permalink

OGR....that ain't no mirror disco ball spaceship...that's a frosted glass swag lamp. Fairly popullar in Tiki establishments back then.
Sven sold a few of those at Tikiyaki Lodge Night 1, and they ended up in Kirby's Rumpus Room....

Note upper left....round version of that saucer lamp.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Or Got Rum?
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 10:14 am   Permalink

Duh, It is also in the first pic. Many thanks for the info. The thatch is gone though, right?

View Profile of Or Got Rum? Send a personal message to Or Got Rum?      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation