FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 09:38 am   Permalink

Thanks to Mrs. Pineapple for the inspiration for this post. This should be a good one 'cause I know alot of you have probably seen some amazing stuff. Even if it was a bad one, the event has (maybe) aged into a good vintage.

Mine: Molly Hatchet w/special guests (remember when the opener was the 'special guest'?) The Dirt Band. West Palm beach Auditorium. End of summer '79.

I think I mowed a neighbor's lawn to earn the $7.50(!) to buy a ticket. Remember the scene in 'Almost Famous' when the mom drops the kid off at the 'Stillwater' concert? That's what it looked like, except my mom didn't drive me there.

And just for good measure my second concert ever: Cheap Trick (w/special guests UFO) at Sunrise Musical Theater April 1980. Dream Police tour, baby!!! That was a good one!!

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-07-12 09:51 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 09:52 am   Permalink

First 'real' band: Van Halen (then called Mammoth), someone's backyard party in Torrance, CA, 1976

First 'real' concert: Queen, L.A. Forum, December 18, 1978 (and I still have the shirt, program & a bunch of unused silver & purple KLOS/Queen stickers)
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:00 am   Permalink

Sharon, Lois & Bram.

Hey they were big when I was 4!

The first BIG concert I went to was U2 with my brother, zooropa tour.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:15 am   Permalink

David Bowie! and I can't find my T-shirt Damn It!!!!
It kills me that I missed his last tour, he's rad!

View Profile of eel Send a personal message to eel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Riptide
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:21 am   Permalink

KISS, "Dynasty Tour" 1979 at the Forum in Los Angeles. It was a present for my 9th birthday. I fell asleep during the show, but woke up during the drum solo. I remember wanting to get a T-shirt (long-sleeve jersey style), but I thought $9 was just too much. I ended up getting the program for $4 instead.

I don't count Dr. Hook ("Cover of the Rolling Stone" was their big hit) at the Good Time Theater in Knott's Berry Farm as my first concert, which technically was prior to the KISS concert.

[ This Message was edited by: Riptide 2005-07-12 10:23 ]

View Profile of Riptide Send a personal message to Riptide  Email Riptide     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:22 am   Permalink

Band: KISS
Year: 1977
Tour: Love Gun

I was 12 years old and I was a huge KISS fan (okay, I still am). My parents wouldn't let me go to the concert (big deal, just because I was only 12), so, my best friend talked his parents into taking us. They were fans as well, and thinking back, I would guess they were in their mid-30's and pretty big partiers.

His parents bought the tickets and I asked my parents if I could stay the night at my buddy's house. It all worked out and I never got caught.

I did finally fuss up to it only a few years ago when my Mom mentioned that she knew about it all along.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiwinebear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:27 am   Permalink

The Beach Boys, somewhere mid-late 60's, Sacramento Memorial Auditorium. Went with my sister and her friends, and told them if there were too many screaming girls around, I would punch them. LOL

Great concert... I remember it well! And still a fan today.

Myke

View Profile of tikiwinebear Send a personal message to tikiwinebear  Email tikiwinebear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:29 am   Permalink

pink floyd, animals tour, anaheim stadium date unknown, age 12/13. older brother of a friend stopped on the southbound 57 just overlooking the stadium. told us to get out, as soon as we got out he laughed and sped off. we wandered down the embankment to the relatively wide open back area of the stadium... bikers everywhere, pot smoke and flying beer bottles. walked right through a back entrance with a batch of bikers... they though we were cool kids but we had no clue. wandered out one of the main entrances later and got on a bus a went home... had to hide from parents for a while cause we stunk like dope & booze

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:30 am   Permalink

This seems to be a common theme...

KISS, 1979 in Mobile, AL

I was 12 and I went with my older brothers. They disappeared and left my friend and I to wander around the whole concert. It was an eye-opener at that age.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:32 am   Permalink

Oh jeez. I feel SO lame
My second concert was Prince, the Purple Rain tour, which was pretty cool. Around that time I also saw Madonna, and the Beastie Boys opened for her!

I have to say, the reason I was not allowed to go to concerts was because I had 2 older brothers, who were 1 and 4 years older than I. They were spotted by my parents on the nightly news 'out of control concert goer' footage during the Who's tour with the Clash. They runined it for me. So, I had to wait a while before I could go to concerts...

I will say, I think I redeemed my cool points re: Phil Collins, by taking my younger cousin ( a Princeton Young Republican) whose FIRST concert was Billy Joel at the Spectrum in Philadelphia...to her SECOND concert, which was The Meatmen and the Volcano Suns at City Gardens. She wasn't that into it I pretty much cemented her in the YR mold she's been in ever since!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:39 am   Permalink

Grand Funk Railroad and Freddie King - Inglewood Forum, Summer, 1970

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:51 am   Permalink

Here is another thread from a while back that switched from a discussion about Jewel to a "What was your first concert?" thread.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3835&forum=6&start=15

In it, I made the embarassing disclosure that Spandau Ballet was my first concert.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:05 am   Permalink

Who: Duran Duran
Where: The Fabulous Forum, Los Angeles
When: February 1984
I still have the T-shirt!

Since I was only 13 at the time and had really overprotective parents, I was forced to purchase a ticket for my dad so he could go to the show with me.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:26 am   Permalink

The Beatles, Hollywo0od Bowl, 1964

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 10:21, Riptide wrote:
KISS, "Dynasty Tour" 1979 at the Forum in Los Angeles. It was a present for my 9th birthday. I fell asleep during the show, but woke up during the drum solo. I remember wanting to get a T-shirt (long-sleeve jersey style), but I thought $9 was just too much. I ended up getting the program for $4 instead.

I don't count Dr. Hook ("Cover of the Rolling Stone" was their big hit) at the Good Time Theater in Knott's Berry Farm as my first concert, which technically was prior to the KISS concert.

[ This Message was edited by: Riptide 2005-07-12 10:23 ]

Hey that pretty much matches my first concerts as well. Except it was my brother that fell asleep at the KISS concert. Me and my step Mom were throwing pennies at this guy that kept getting in the way. Hey RIPTIDE you must be my brother! And don't forget "Paul Revere and the Raiders" also at the Knotts Berry Farm good Time Theater.
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation