FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:40 am   Permalink

Band: Depeche Mode
Year: 1984
Venue: Warner Theater, Washington D.C.

Book of Love was the opening act, not that it matters much.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-12 11:45 am   Permalink

The Who at the San Diego Sports Arena, 1979. This was their first tour with Kenny Jones. Unfortunately, I never saw them with Keith Moon.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:00 pm   Permalink

Reggae Sunsplash
Merriweather Post Pavillion
I think it was the summer of 1990...

I always was a big music fan but didn't want to go through the hassle of having my parents dragging me to a concert so I was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to seeing live music.

My first concert is actually too embarrasing to mention...
John Schneider (Bo Duke) at the York County Fair Grounds in 1982. I only wanted to see the Joey Chitwood Thrill Show where they jumped Monte Carlos and drove Chevettes on 2 wheels but I had to stay for Mr. Schneider's performance. So in theory it wouldn't qualify as the first concert I really wanted to see...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:04 pm   Permalink

Charlie Daniels Band - Irvine Meadows Ampitheatre, early 1980s.

I wore my cowboy "longhorn" shirt & a drunken cowboy threw up on me.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:17 pm   Permalink

Cheap Trick, 1979, Long Beach Arena. I still think their first album is an unqualified power-pop masterpiece.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:26 pm   Permalink

Well, technically my first concert was the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I also saw a few jazz concerts that my mother took me to as a boy (she once worked in the record industry and knew some jazz musicians of the day).

But I am assuming you are meaning my first ROCK concert. That was either Canned Heat or El Chicano, and it was either 1968 or 1969. I can't remember which one actually came first. The El Chicano concert was at Disneyland. Bob Hite once worked for my Dad before the band got started, and Heat used to play in the Valley and Thousand Oaks area. I think it was Canned Heat that was the first one.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:29 pm   Permalink

I saw Peter Paul & Mary in SF somewhere I think with my whole family when I was little (80's?)

We sat in the grassy area and my straight laced father was upset about all the hippies around us smoking weed.

He also denied that Elton John was gay or that the Kingston Trio's song about being "high as a kite" was about drugs.

[ This Message was edited by: dangergirl299 2005-07-12 12:37 ]

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:44 pm   Permalink

My first concert was Deep Purple at the Hollywood Sportatorium in 1985. What a dump that place was!

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 09:38, donhonyc wrote:
And just for good measure my second concert ever: Cheap Trick (w/special guests UFO) at Sunrise Musical Theater April 1980. Dream Police tour, baby!!! That was a good one!!

donhonyc: Did you know that the Sunrise Musical Theater is now a church? Yep, it is now known as the "Faith Center." I actually live about 1/2 mile away from it.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 12:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 11:26, Tiki Rider wrote:
The Beatles, Hollywo0od Bowl, 1964

OK, you win!

My Grandfather took my aunt to the Beatles at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, and he said "I couldn't hear a thing, all those silly girls screaming, why did they go to hear music, if they're just going to scream??" She was proably 13 or 14. I always asked my mom why she wasn't that cool, she gave me the stink eye, and said "Your Aunt Clare was very spoiled."

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 1:00 pm   Permalink

Keep 'em coming. I love this.

Gotta also mention some of my others. I'll keep it limited to the highlights:

Prince-Purple Rain Tour 1984. Orange Bowl Miami

Van Halen (w/DAVE!) 1981 & 84 Hollywood Sportatorium, Hollywood, Florida.

All the times I saw Iggy Pop. 93, 99, 2001. 2003 & 2004 w/The Stooges. All New York City Dates.

Sonic Youth w/performance artist-actor Eric Bogosian doing monologues from his "Sex, Drugs, Rock n Roll" show at The Academy, New York City Summer 1990

Neil Young. James L. Knight Center, Miami November 1985 (first time I saw Neil)

The Pixies (then unknown. Opening (!) for the Jesus & Mary Chain) at The World, New York City Summer 1988.

New York Dolls w/Burning Brides at Irving Plaza this past April, 2005. New York City!

Two shows I wish I was at: Ted Nugent, The Scorpions, & The Pat Travers Band Summer 1980 @ Hollywood Sportatorium and Rush @ Hollywood Sportatorium circa 80-81. Both of these shows riots broke out at. At the Rush concert it was full blown with tear-gas. It must not have been that traumatic because my friends that were there (we were all 15 or 16)and weren't hurt or traumatized by any of it. It seems like the cops were probably over reacting.

Let's hear more of yours.

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2005-07-12 13:09 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 1:08 pm   Permalink

donhonyc:

Since you grew up in South Florida, did you ever notice that we really didn't get all of the big groups come down to Miami. I remember that my older brother used to drive up to Orlando to see groups like the Rolling Stones and the Who play at the Tangerine Bowl in the early to mid 1980s because their tours did not include any stops in Miami.

I wonder if that was because we really didn't have many venues for them to perform in since we had no basketball/hockey arena until the very late 1980s. The sportatorium was such a dump! Its kinda funny to think how back in the 80s, the sportatorium was WAY out in the boonies. Now, there are housing developments that have sprawled out into the everglades!

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 1:42 pm   Permalink

My cousin and I, ages 14 & 15, were stuck in Ohio for a family wedding. They wanted us kids to go out (I think they wanted to get rid of us really) so they offered us two choices: tickets to see Barry Manilow, or tickets to see Toby Beau and the Doobie Bros. Even at 14, we girls knew Barry Manilow was squaresville, so we opted for the latter. I didn't realise that I knew that many Doobie Bros songs (or any of their songs for that matter) until I saw them.

The first concert I bought tickets for was Elvis Costello in 1979 in an old abandoned theatre in Pismo. Talking Heads opened. Who knew? Fab-u-loso!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 1:47 pm   Permalink

Anthrax - Paris - 1991

Well, I'm younger...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 1:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 13:00, donhonyc wrote:
Two shows I wish I was at: Ted Nugent, The Scorpions, & The Pat Travers Band Summer 1980 @ Hollywood Sportatorium and Rush @ Hollywood Sportatorium circa 80-81. Both of these shows riots broke out at. At the Rush concert it was full blown with tear-gas. It must not have been that traumatic because my friends that were there (we were all 15 or 16)and weren't hurt or traumatized by any of it. It seems like the cops were probably over reacting.

I can understand why there might be rioting at a Nugent show, but Rush?!? Was it festival seating or something?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 2:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 13:54, cynfulcynner wrote:
I can understand why there might be rioting at a Nugent show, but Rush?!?

You know how it is with those modern day warriors.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation