FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Your first concert: Who, Where, When.
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 2:33 pm   Permalink

Some notables, that aren't embarassing...

The Replacements and Steve Earle in NYC
Neil Young and Sonic Youth in Philadelphia, (the hippies booed Sonic Youth until Neil came out and played with them)
Bob Dylan backed by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the Grateful Dead at RFK stadium in DC, (the last show before Jerry Garcia died, the first time...he went into a diabetic coma after that show) it was about 130 degrees on the field, and I wore a black flag t-shirt to the show! That's about all I remember.
Way too many punk rock shows that were incredible 4 band bills, for $5 at the Khyber Pass Pub, The Trocadero or Club Bacchanal in Philadelphia!

I also saw Cinderella at a bar in Northeast Philly, why? I don't know. It was scary, hair metal chicks have NO sense of humor, many should have fore-went the spandex!

OH YEAH - the Hooters and the Stray Cats at the Philadelphia Zoo ( I quit my fast food job to go to that because the manager wouldn't let me off work, and then my mom was so mad, she 'got me' a job at the dry cleaners, which was not only toxic, but horrible! It was worth it!)
Robert Hazard and the Heroes and Cyndi Lauper after a Phillies Game at Veterens Stadium,
The B-52's and Peter Gabriel at the Robin Hood Dell,
Dire Straits at the Dell,
and Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble, 4 rows from the stage at the some theatre in Upper Darby! That show was awesome!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 4:13 pm   Permalink

My first concert was Thompson Twins and OMD at the Orange Show in San Bernardino, CA. Lied to the parents. Said I was spending the night at a friend's house.

My parents didn't think concerts were safe for young girls.

About a year later, I put my foot down and informed them that I would be going to see Crowded House at the De Anza theatre in Riverside, CA. And I would need to borrow the car. I don't think they'd ever seen me so passionate about anything in my life, so they caved.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 4:15 pm   Permalink

I'd list all the decent shows I've seen but being that I'm probably the only person in the world that listened exclusively to reggae music for 10 years straight, I'd be typing to myself. When everyone else was going to rock/hardcore/punk shows I was seeing artists unknown to the vast majority of the world. If I were to mention that I saw Dennis Brown, U-Roy, Mutabaruka, Delroy Wilson, Culture, Yellowman, Sister Nancy, Burning Spear, Eek A Mouse, Nicodemus, etc. would anyone care? Probably not so I'll stop now.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Since you grew up in South Florida, did you ever notice that we really didn't get all of the big groups come down to Miami. I remember that my older brother used to drive up to Orlando to see groups like the Rolling Stones and the Who play at the Tangerine Bowl in the early to mid 1980s because their tours did not include any stops in Miami.

Joefla-I totally remember that and remember resenting it big-time. Back then, I couldn't wait for the day when I was able to get up and leave the area mainly because some of my fave bands would never come down there. As good a time as I had as a teen in South Florida it sometimes seemed like the Land of Misfit Toys. I totally remember The Who and The Stones making U-turns after playing in Orlando at the Tangerine Bowl and not coming further south. Pissed me off. If i'm not mistaken Bowie did the same on the 'Serious Moonlight' tour, AND on the Stones '81 tour Van Halen (w/DAVE) opened up for them. It sucked missing that show!! But I think you're right, there was a lack of real venues back then. The Sportatorium was the only game in town. It was a dump, but I loved it!! Great teenage wasteland. Did you know that it was formerly an airplane hangar before they turned it into an arena?

And yeah, I heard about the Sunrise Musical Theater turning into a church. Crazy! I saw so many shows there AND I had my high school graduation ceremony there.
I saw U2 there in the summer of '83 on the 'War' tour with The Alarm as openers. A friend and I were so obsessed with U2 that we tracked them down (to make a long story short) and caught them coming off their bus for sound check. It's hard to beleive now, but they had a really freaky entourage. First The Edge came off. Still had hair then and wearing a red flannel shirt. He signed my 12" Maxi single of 'Two Hearts Beat As One' and kept walking. I was like 'wait, I have to talk to you'. he was friendly but he was like 'can't I have to go'. What did I expect, I was some teenage dude, not a hot chick waiting for him. After what seemed like a mini parade of freaks coming off the bus, Bono emerged. He looked like he just woke up. Signed my single as well and kept walking to the stage door. I still have that signed 12". The signatures are a little faded but you can still see them. The show that night was amazing. It was basically the same show that was recorded on LP and video at Red Rocks in Colorado called 'Under A Blood Red Sky'. Still just amazing. First time I had ever seen a singer dive into the audience. Very emotional show.They totally connected with us and for the next couple of years I was a dyed in the wool U2 freak (up untill 'Rattle & Hum'). Great time, glad I was there.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 5:45 pm   Permalink

1978 - Madison Square garden - ELO

That was the tour where they had the giant space ship on stage. When the music started there was no sign of the band, but the space ship started to smoke and light up in different colors. Eventually the top flew upwards, and the band was inside.

Awesome.

My first backstage pass was Clapton, also at the Garden.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 5:50 pm   Permalink

Y'know...I was thinkin' rock n' roll! Actually, my VERY first concert was pretty cool, too:

For my 10th birthday, I very much wanted to see The Baja Marimba Band, featuring Julius Wechter (Martin Denny's vibes player) as the warm-up band for...

(drum roll please!)

Wayne Newton!!

January, 1967

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 6:32 pm   Permalink

Dickies / Agent Orange - Somewhere in Hollywood

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 6:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 16:15, johntiki wrote:
I'd list all the decent shows I've seen but being that I'm probably the only person in the world that listened exclusively to reggae music for 10 years straight, I'd be typing to myself. When everyone else was going to rock/hardcore/punk shows I was seeing artists unknown to the vast majority of the world. If I were to mention that I saw Dennis Brown, U-Roy, Mutabaruka, Delroy Wilson, Culture, Yellowman, Sister Nancy, Burning Spear, Eek A Mouse, Nicodemus, etc. would anyone care? Probably not so I'll stop now.

I care John, I truly do...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 6:56 pm   Permalink

The Music Machine, Yellow Balloon and The Nitty Gritty Dirtband, 1967 at some theater in Anaheim, CA (I think it was called Melodyland...round stage in the middle that rotated).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 7:03 pm   Permalink

Buddy Rich, 198...2 (?)

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 7:24 pm   Permalink

For my first concert I went to see the Tubes ("She's a Beauty" tour, I believe) play The Kabuki in SF, in ....uh.... must been '84. I don't remember much, because it was the first time I'd ever smoked ...uh... well...

Anyway, the costumes were great, especially when Fee Waybill came out at the encore in what seemed like 2 ft tall platform heels for "White Punks on Dope".

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 7:51 pm   Permalink

Pink Floyd
The Wall
Los Angeles Sports Arena
1979 or 1980

With a side of mushrooms

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 7:56 pm   Permalink

SHA NA NA at the Greek Theater with my Mom!!!
I think I was probably 10 or 11 years old.

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-12 7:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-12 19:51, floratina wrote:
Pink Floyd
The Wall
Los Angeles Sports Arena
1979 or 1980

With a side of mushrooms

NICE ONE!!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KOAN - TIKI

Posted: 2005-07-12 10:44 pm   Permalink

The Cars - 1980

View Profile of KOAN - TIKI Send a personal message to KOAN - TIKI      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation