FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tikiwahine's Creations - Update Jan 22 - Mug shelf & rockin' out
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-21 10:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-11 14:40, JimTandem wrote:
Looks great Tikiwahine!

I especially like how the mugs are lined up to flow like a wave from side to side. Very cool. Looking forward to seeing more pics as you go along.

Yeah! A WAVE! That's cool. Nice job. Now get to work on the rest of them!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-05 7:08 pm   Permalink

Desk build step 2!

Some of the bamboo trim has been added, legs, and it's secured to the wall.

The bamboo in each inside corner is removable and will serve as a wireway.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2008-05-14 23:56 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-05 8:40 pm   Permalink

That looks great! I just saw a throw rug at sears that was made of bamboo slats. You could use that on the walls. Or go to an art store and get some cool paper. Looks good.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 10:49 am   Permalink

We have big plans for this room, skip! Tonight the desk gets more trim.

At the end of the month we're picking up enough woven bamboo matting to do the entire 19' X 20' vaulted ceiling. It will also be trimmed with the same bamboo.

This project is the precursor to the Huki Lounge Bar build, which should be a snap after dealing with the desk.

The green will eventually be covered with something, be it tapa, grasscloth, bamboo, woven stuff, we're not sure yet. We may cover the side of the desk too.

For now, we will do the ceiling and replace all trim with bamboo, starting with that ghastly strip of pink along the baseboard. The entire 400 square foot room used to be pink. Run Away!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 10:54 am   Permalink

Sounds like big plans. Post lots of pics. I hope to do this myself someday. I wish my desk at work would look like that.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 2:35 pm   Permalink

Will do JP!

Plenty 'o pics will be added along the way, I know I appreciate and look forward to other people's.

It's one of the things I most look forward to on my daily TC visits - especially room and bar builds.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-03-06 14:49 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 4:12 pm   Permalink

Cool, Huge desk TW. Looks like one I built for my son and his wife, 7 feet long and 3 feet wide. I love your Bamboo so far. I would paint large Lono and Ku's on the ends I think, but it is one of those projects that will evolve over the next year and will look so different then from now. Nice job. I think I need one about like that.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 4:21 pm   Permalink

Excellent idea Ben!
My painting skills are no where near good enough to grace this beast of a desk, but maybe I'll get brave and give it a go.

Right this second I'm getting visions of back-lit Moaisaic or LonoLamp made with translucent plastic acetate - backed with a frosted piece of flexible fiberglass curved into a half circle. I may have to give that a go. Sounds like more of a sconce project.

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-06 11:51 pm   Permalink

Mount lauhala inside the back and brush on a clear coat to keep dust at bay.

Rock ON Wahine.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 12:33 am   Permalink

The desk is looking cool Tikiwahine! Thanks for the pic updates, its hard sometimes to remember to take em cause you just keep plugging along while you work.

If you are sharing that desk, you are probably going to have a lot of wires and cords coming from the bottom. Have you thought about making a floating screen that will hide all the wiring? It could go just behind your middle bamboo support and a few inches off the wall. If you use tapa type cloth you could make like a bamboo scroll that hangs down from a couple of small eye hooks. Then when you need to get to the outlets just lift it up. Or even easier would be to get a couple of cheap bamboo beaded screens that you hang in doorways, cut em down, and hang back under there just in front of the wires.

Your hard work is paying off as your room comes to life!

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 09:53 am   Permalink

Great idea with the lauhala matting Monk, and you know I love dust-less creases!
Thanks!

Hey jim, I did think of that! What we're going to do is have the main power supply on the upper shelf, housed in a hinged box. The box will also serve as a riser for whatever tiki stuff I'd like to display. If there are any wires showing, it would be only one cord going to the outlet. I may use bamboo to hide it as well.

The very top of the desk is more space for me to display my collection. An extension of the mug shelf, if you will. It will probably be dual-tiered, but I won't get that that 'till the desk is done.

john
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-07 6:52 pm   Permalink

having that desk would make work almost fun and worthwhile, maybe to the point of staying after 5

[ This Message was edited by: john 2006-03-07 18:52 ]

View Profile of john Send a personal message to john  Email john Goto the website of john     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 11:32 am   Permalink

My Living room tiki build has begun!

This past weekend we painted the walls and laid a brand spanking new hardwood floor. Next the ceiling will be wired for many hanging lamps on a dimmer switch, then the bamboo matting will go on the ceiling, and bamboo will trim everything. Enough chit-chat, here are some photos!

Desk View - Before, with Brian who's here to help paint.

TV view - Before. The shelves are empty and the furniture is ready to be moved into the diningroom.

Patio Door View - Before

Three coats of paint make for good coverage and a smooth texture.

The first row of flooring goes down using deck screws.

The boys get to work laying the flooring.

The floor has been half laid.

Desk View - the floor is done and now the desk, trim, shelving & furniture has to be moved back in.

Hardwood floor in Exotic Longstrip Cherry. Note the character, lots of variation. Sweeeet. Reminds me of bamboo flooring a bit, with those thin strips.

Future Bar Area View - note the bamboo matting that will be mounted to the ceiling, but not until I stain it the same colour as the desk. Also, wiring must first be installed in the ceiling, enough to handle at least 12 hanging lamps.

Desk View - The desk is back in, but still in need of more bamboo trim and the computers still need to be moved back in.

TV View - The baseboard trim, shelves and some furniture is back in. The speakers have been mounted with bamboo trim to hide the wiring.

A Naughty Little Wiggle

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2006-08-27 15:11 ]

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 11:42 am   Permalink

Looking good. I love green.

I can already taste the Absinthe.

I was talking with the Amber Love Goddess this weekend and asked her where we'd like to end up and number one on her list was Victoria.

So... you may have some new Tiki Neighbors in a decade or so.
That cherry floor should be wearing in just about right by then.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 11:55 am   Permalink

Thanks Pablus,

Unfortunately, it was green, and is now the more tiki friendly brown. I've always called it The Green Room. When the ceiling is covered in matting, lamps & bamboo, I'm not sure what I'll call it!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation