FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving What I did on my summer vacation....P*I*S*C*O joins the family!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What I did on my summer vacation....P*I*S*C*O joins the family!
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 06:21 am   Permalink

Awesome tiki dude. The colors really suit the design and execution of it. The cuts are so clean and tasty

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-13 06:41 am   Permalink

That is a great looking tiki and using my very favorite colors. It's finished up so completely clean.

Aside from the few cracks, It doesn't even look like it was made of wood. Was that intentional? I'm sincerely curious as I have some projects in mind that don't involve wood.

Can't wait to see how the next tiki emerges from the other piece of wood.

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 09:58 am   Permalink

LOVE that piece. That next one is going to be FAT! It already is FAT.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
curb creature
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-13 10:27 am   Permalink

that looks great 8ft. may i ask how/ what kind of paint you used?..primers/sealers?..looks awesome..totally awesome.

View Profile of curb creature Send a personal message to curb creature  Email curb creature Goto the website of curb creature     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheeky half
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 11:39 am   Permalink

Excellent!!!

View Profile of cheeky half Send a personal message to cheeky half  Goto the website of cheeky half     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 8:54 pm   Permalink

Many, many thanks to all of you for the kind replies.
I am pleased with the end result and my only goal when carving is just to try and improve from the last one I did. I have seen several threads lately which say that one carver or another "has raised the bar". I agree that the skill level is improving and it is so neat to see all the unique styles emerging as new pieces are being created. But I want to state here that I am certainly not trying to compete with anyone at all. I just wanted to share the results of my latest project. I will now answer the questions asked by everyone so far.

DOGBYTES: This is going to be an outdoor tiki for summer and indoor for winter.

SAXOTICA: I will be keeping this guy and will place him in a special spot.

ALIENTIKI: I also like the natural grain look of wood for tikis but so far what I have done with most of my carvings
is to add some color to jazz them up. Hopefully not garish or gaudy. I do intend to "go natural" with future carvings.
I do think the sycamore was a good candidate for paint or stain though because it is nearly an eggshell white wood grain. Now if you wanna carve a "ghost tiki" then it might be perfect. Oh and I would say that all together it took me between 20 and 30 hours.

MANOKOA: On this carving I got pretty lucky when it came to cracking. It didn't do that much splitting. I must admit that although I did not do it, I did consider getting some wood putty and filling and then sanding all the cracks in order to make it look EXACTLY like a bottle. I decided that I wouldn't be fooling anyone and just liked it fine the way it was so that's what I did. I wouldn't rule out using putty
on a future piece but that could limit the staining possibilities.

CURB CREATURE: As for the paints used, here is what I chose.
Flat black for the top knot and Amazon Silt Green (#6010-4)for the body. I had it custom mixed at Lowe's paint counter. If you are going to paint a tiki for outdoor use, make sure you get EXTERIOR paint. I selected "American Tradition Exterior Flat Latex"
as the base. I then coated with a MINWAX SPAR urethane sealer called "Helmsman Indoor/Outdoor Clear Satin"

GREAT QUESTIONS EVERYONE!!!
I hope that answers all the queeries to your satisfaction.
Let me know if you have any others.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR KIND WORDS!!

8FT

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-07-14 20:58 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 12:04 pm   Permalink

I love the inspired pieces. This one turned out fantastic. I know you must be proud.

Let us know what becomes of his chunky sycamore brother.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-15 6:20 pm   Permalink

That is one heckuva good looking Moai. I dare say perfect, Excellent job 8'.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 08:12 am   Permalink

So So Sweeeeet. Easter Island must be jealous! Exquisite use of colors.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 2:36 pm   Permalink

Nice work Great color.... Man love it

[ This Message was edited by: Thanatos 2005-07-16 14:38 ]

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 4:20 pm   Permalink

I think you just broke the cool scale.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 06:48 am   Permalink

Man, i'm sittin' here looking at your progression photos and going, "Holy crap"! that is one amazing moai!

beautiful job!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 3:28 pm   Permalink

8FT,

I think you have been to the top of the mountain! That is THE nicest piece I have seen of that type. It's a beautiful carving...and the colors are perfect. You're THE man!

What did you do to keep such a large piece from cracking badly? I live in very humid weather and most of my wood still tends to crack right where I don't want it to. Do you have any pointers or tricks?? Right now I carve in "live" wood and dry them for severl weeks, face down, on a rack in my garage. That seems to keep the cracks to the back of the carving, but I would like to limit the cracking to a minimum. I've tried some oils with limited sucess. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 8:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks GMan, I appreciate the comps. I am proud to have had so many fellow TC'ers reply so favorably to what is only my 4th carving. I just started today on my next one. It is a smaller pine log and will not be a full body figure.

As to the concerns of cracking in logs, I am not the expert there. I usually just live with whatever happens but I agree those cracks often appear in the worst places. However, sometimes they just add a taste of authenticity to a carving. I would suggest you read some of the older posts and threads to find out what some of the regular big boys do to retard cracking. I seem to recall that Benzart and Basement Kahuna had a lot to say on the subject in previous posts. Do some searches and hopefully you can gain some knowledge there that will help your situation. Meanwhile, keep carvin' !!!!!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 3:59 pm   Permalink

8FT,

Thanks for directing me to the posts on cracking. I'll look around and see what they have to say. I just finished putting a second coat of linseed oil on the carving I did on Saturday. I actually sanded this one a little! The smooth beauty of your work inspired me!

I can't wait to see some progress pics of your new carving....show us!!!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation