FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 02:18 am   Permalink

Hey, i have taken the plunge and started down the road of tiki carving

I have muttered a few things about thinking about getting into it, and my girl took it in. Yesterday was our anniversary, and i got a 4 piece chissel set, rasp, rubber mallet, and oil stone - i was bloody stoked! Even better, she got all the info from here on TC! She looked up past posts, and made a list of stuff i would need, and got it for me. She's a legend!I didn't have a clue.

Anyway, this arvo I bought 2 blocks of hebel (also known as AAC or light concrete 'cause it has lots of air bubbles), and I have a big mess - this stuff is very very dusty. My 1st carving is well on its way to becoming a tiki! Having a lot of fun, and looking forward to posting it for all to see.

Funny how it takes on a life of its own and evolves into something way different to what you first planned. And little TC quotes come into your head like "remove all the bits that aren't a tiki" suddenly make sense.

I don't have a digicam, so no pics yet. I will borrow/steal my neighbours when I am done, but I don't want to be stealing it every day for progress shots. And it is too messy to put on the flatbed scanner (how I do my art).

Look out for updates.

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2008-07-25 23:57 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2010-02-26 04:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2010-03-23 04:35 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 12:17 pm   Permalink

AAC Block carving! Can't wait to see it Hewey!

Aaron

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 7:33 pm   Permalink

When I think AAC block I think Aaron.

A sidenote for me- I was thinking of this today and was going to post it but this bring it back up for me. I want to start carving wood and I just want a good set of chisels. LIke a small, med. and large. And a hammer. Rubber? or wood? I have never worked in wood so I'm new but I want something that I could do great things with. I usaully can produce what I see or think up.

I wouldn't what to send too much and it would be best to pick-up unless something better was ship only. Something like what Hewey got.

I have looked to flea markets but surprizing nothing. And I wouldn't want dull rusty metal. I have looked to far past this but is Sears an option. I'm not sure if there is a old post for the standard tools.

Not to take any heat away from Hewey but if I can get them soon I can compete with Hewey.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-13 7:40 pm   Permalink

Hewey , less talk more carve .

Hehehe, just kidding mate. Keep us posted and lots of pics too.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 04:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-13 19:40, rodeotiki wrote:
Hewey , less talk more carve .

Here you go folks. Walking the walk, not just talking it up What do you reckon? My first carving of any kind what so ever.

To give you an idea the block is about 2 foot tall. It has all been done with chisels and a rasp - no sandpaper.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-13 19:33, teaKEY wrote:
A sidenote for me- I was thinking of this today and was going to post it but this bring it back up for me. I want to start carving wood and I just want a good set of chisels. LIke a small, med. and large. And a hammer. Rubber? or wood? I have never worked in wood so I'm new but I want something that I could do great things with. I usaully can produce what I see or think up.

I wouldn't what to send too much and it would be best to pick-up unless something better was ship only. Something like what Hewey got.

I have looked to flea markets but surprizing nothing. And I wouldn't want dull rusty metal. I have looked to far past this but is Sears an option. I'm not sure if there is a old post for the standard tools.

Not to take any heat away from Hewey but if I can get them soon I can compete with Hewey.

My girl got this stuff from the local hardware store. I know nothing about chisels, so I got no idea of their quality. They work okay for me. Price and brand probably mean nothing as I am downunder.

Do you need much to get started? Hell, Finkdaddy was producing works of art with a boxcutter!

Mate, get whatever you need and get carving

Here's a higher resolution pic if you want a closer look:
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/tc/aja?full=1

It was originally going to be in the style of Aaron's hypnotiki (but with this design). Nice simple lines, and not too 3D, yet wicked looking. I figured the simple lines would be good for a novice. It sucked big time.

Then I screwed up the eyes, and the only thing I could do was make deeper holes where the eyes were. This looked kinda cool, so I then set about making the rest more 3D, and added the character line on the head. Hey presto - a tiki is born.

Estimate a days worth of work, over two arvos/nights.

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2005-07-14 08:16 ]

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 09:27 am   Permalink

Thats freakin awesome !!!! Nice work Hewey.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 09:35 am   Permalink

Hewey, you're natural, you need to carve more. That tiki is excellent for a first tiki.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 09:46 am   Permalink

I really like it and it kind has a hint of a womans figure. But her mouth looks dagerous.

Nice carve and get started on the next.

-----------------------------------------------

www.PalmCityTiki.com

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfinstro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-14 09:51 am   Permalink

Where can I find hebel (also known as AAC or light concrete)???
NICE JOB

[ This Message was edited by: surfinstro 2005-07-14 09:51 ]

View Profile of surfinstro Send a personal message to surfinstro  Email surfinstro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 09:54 am   Permalink

The eyes are my favorite part, they look like an ancient carving.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-14 3:34 pm   Permalink

did you have fun hewey.that is nice work!love it.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 5:03 pm   Permalink

Very Cool Hewey!! Nice first TIKI!! Aarons Akua gave me 2 AAC concrete blocks to work with. I got to get started.
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 6:45 pm   Permalink

Allright Hewey. Nice #1.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-14 7:18 pm   Permalink

Off the hook, keep it up dude.

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation