FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 9:06 pm   Permalink

Dr Buzzy - The lawns been mowed since then, its all respectable like First priority is making the cars go vroooom! Currently the bug is out of action, so we own 4 cars, and only my girlfreind's hatchback is driveable.

Sir Ben - Yeh, its a sweet set up. Definitely better than working under a leaking verandah and getting in trouble for using the good glass outdoor table as a workbench!

Master Surfin - Bikes? Did I mention my cruiser isnt going either? Need to make up a custom bracket to hook up the cabling for the 7 speed hub. See above comment about making cars go vroooom as being the priority The stickers are cool, going for an old surf wagon inspired look

Although it is kinda scary to start adding up how much $$$ there will be in stickers on the windows, when most are $5-$7 each, and both side rear windows will be covered eventually! I dont have a sticker, but I'll get "Kustom Kahoona" signage for the back window down the track. Currently looking at options for a vintage wood slat roofrack for it too, should be cool. Would love to make a massive polystyrene tiki then fibreglass it, to carry on the roofrack!

Captain Seeksurf - homey it is, looking forward to making it a little cooler too, with some tiki and vintage car paraphenelia

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 06:09 am   Permalink

plenty of room for some tiki action in there hewey.. we wont rest bugging you until you until you show us some new stuff!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 11:37 pm   Permalink

Well, its sure been a while...

First up, we've got another family member, Daisey (to the right). She was picked up from the shelter, but is fitting in quite nicely

The latest tiki. This is Cocos Palm (again), and thats a BIG mouth on it. I'd like to say Ive got something really cool planned for the mouth, but at this stage, I have no idea what Im doing! Also note the prerequisite International Size Reference and Bailey dog making sure it's standardised.

Side profile. Id like to take out a little more, but its already pretty top heavy.

Ive rounded off the top a little. It'll probably receive a bandanna or something like the pirate I did, to cover up the crack And Tia checks out these strange woodchips

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2008-07-25 23:52 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 05:17 am   Permalink

All right Hewey! Good to see ya posting pics again. Dude that mouth is gonna be HUGE! Good start so far.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks surfin

But what the heck is this stuff for?

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 03:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-26 21:48, hewey wrote:

???

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 04:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-27 03:32, Tama The Terrible wrote:

???

Nope

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2008-08-02 04:26 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 04:18 am   Permalink

I've done some more work on the big mouth tiki. It's got eyes and some paint, but Ive got no pics so I'll just have to leave you in suspense I also finished off carving an AAC/hebel tiki I started ages ago, and have started to paint that too Again, no pics of that either... but I did remember to take some pics of the logs I picked up this arvo...

So the dilemma is, you own a beetle, and have 2 x 1 metre logs (3.2 feet) and a 70cm log (2.3 feet) to transport home. I opted to just grab one of the big ones and the little log this trip.

Fits in easy when you ditch the passenger seat! Thats 1.7 metres (5.6 feet) worth of log in there!

These logs are cocos palm. Not the best for carving, but good enough to play with. I'll be keeoing one of the big ones and the little one, and the other big ones will be donated to Kruzzin62 (Brendon) for him to carve The best part is the same guy who gave me these logs will shortly be cutting down these cotton palms (aka mexican fan palms according to my research). Below are a couple of pics to give you an indication of size Basically I just need to specify what size these are cut into! Unfortunately my limiting factor is what I can get loaded onto a trailer

kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 04:37 am   Permalink

man those palms are huge dude ,love the enginuity with taking the seat out of the bug nice thinking ,i suppose the roof racks wouldnt take the weight..

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 12:38 pm   Permalink

Those look like Washingtonian palms or Mexican fan palms see HERE
THey are excellent carving palms.
Oh yeah, Did you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car? I'd take it back and make'um give you the correct one!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-26 21:48, hewey wrote:
Thanks surfin

Those are the spare parts from taking the seat out of your car!

Great, huge looking palms! I say cut it as big as you want, and rope that pack of wild dogs inhabiting your back yard to it and pull it home ala a dog sled~ MUSH!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 11:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:
i suppose the roof racks wouldnt take the weight..

Believe me mate, I sure as hell wont be lifting them up there! You'll see what I mean when I drop the big log around

Quote:
Those look like Washingtonian palms or Mexican fan palms

Yeh, Im getting all excited!

Quote:
Those are the spare parts from taking the seat out of your car!

Incorrect!

So I got the logs home without any dramas. This gives you an idea of the size of them

You get the camera out, and all the dogs want to do is pose...

The correct answer for the pile of parts is they're tiki anatomy! The wrench (we call em shifting spanners) is tongue-like thing (?), and the bolts/nuts/washers have been put together to make cool tiki eyes!

This threaded rod will be cut up to make tiki teeth

And I finished carving this thing, and threw on the first coat of paint. It will get another coat, then get a black wash for that cool old feel. The plan is a grass skirt, and surfboard behind him.

Oh yeh, I went to a local car show which includes a swap meet as part of it. Sometimes you find some cool vintage gear, even the occasional tiki mug. Unfortuneately, I dont think this counts! I didnt even bother checking the price

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2008-08-02 23:56 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 8:51 pm   Permalink

Your tool tiki is one of a kind! NICE.

The surfboard and skirt will be cool.

Good to see you creating again mate.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-28 11:25 pm   Permalink

Hewey's log, 29 November 2008:
Yeh, Im still alive. Basically my life's been completely turned upside down over the last year. Funny how tiki stuff take's a back seat whent the proverbial hits the fan eh? Anyway, just letting you know Im still kickin around, and I hope to get back into the carving side of things again soon Hewey

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-29 6:56 pm   Permalink

What the hell Hewey!!
Glad your ok, and climbin' back We missed ya!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation