FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20
kroozzn62
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 05:19 am   Permalink

looks good dude , yeah take it for a boogie down ..

View Profile of kroozzn62 Send a personal message to kroozzn62      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 03:45 am   Permalink

No update on the board, but yesterday I went to a car show on the coast then went for a 22 mile ride along the coast

First of all heres my bike with Squiz's HR Holden. Squiz is a fellow tiki nut who loves his old cars, and hes headed over to Viva Las Vegas soon - lucky bastard!

And just a sample of the scenery from the ride Lovely weather eh?

[ This Message was edited by: hewey 2010-03-22 03:46 ]

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 4:57 pm   Permalink

What? Australia with SMALL waves. I don't buy it. It's a fake pic!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 04:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 16:57, surfintiki wrote:
What? Australia with SMALL waves. I don't buy it. It's a fake pic!

The Alaia board is still in the same state, but with the weather getting colder Ive decided to hook into my first Paipo (hawaiian bellyboard), particularly given Ive got this week off

So I printed off a template, stuck it together and trimmed it. I then transfererd this to 3mm MDF to make a more rigid template

Cut the mdf out with a jigsaw, sanded it down to get nice smooth lines.

Transfer this to the Paulownia wood blank

Final shape. Its reccomended that you leave an inch or so on the base so you can continue your shaping past the 'end' of the board to get nice clean lines.

Next step is cut in the rails and a concave in the bottom with a hand plane, shape the nose, final sand then varnish. Plan is to take it for a surf by the end of the week

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 5:07 pm   Permalink

Yeah! Bring it!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 5:08 pm   Permalink

Making a Paipo- Sounds so dirty

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 5:41 pm   Permalink

Hewey I'm still digging the Alaia board! I love to try that sucker down under in
some warm water.

Cool Peewee bike. I have a beach bike but is old and rusty. That Beach pic look
allot like the PMW. Not the inland shot though.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-23 11:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks Surfintiki, TeaKEy and Seeksurf

Hooked in and got a bunch done on the board today. Here you can see the concave in the middle and the rails at the side ready for shaping

View from the top

Final shape, still needed final sanding at this stage

Nose of the board shaped. just needs to be smoothed out a little

Woohoo, sanding is done, time for some marine grade varnish. Love how it brings out the colour and grain in the wood

Pretty happy with how it looks

Shot of the end gives you an idea of the profile, lurvely caurves eh?

mmmmm, wood

I had to get an arty shot in

Just needs a couple more coats of varnish and she's good to surf.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 12:17 am   Permalink

hewey, you should really glass that. at least with one coat of light glass.

looks cool, too.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 01:42 am   Permalink

Sweet curves and that end profile looks pretty functional hewey...you gotta get someone to get a pic of you riding it in some hibiscus print boardies! 5mm of rubber all the way over here as of this week...

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 04:44 am   Permalink

Thanks Pdrake. Theres a bunch of guys who do Paulownia wood Alaia and Paipo boards (like Tom Wegener, Surfing Green etc) and they only coat their boards in Linseed Oil. The Paulownia is really salt water resistant, which is why its ideal for board making (plus its light). The varnish wont be as strong as a glassed board, but I'll only be taking it on small beach brakes for now so it should be fine.

Heya Paipo! Yeh, when you buy the blank they include a booklet on shaping the board including the rails and concave section, helps counter the lack of fins. Ive just bought myself a Go Pro waterproof camera, so will be hoping to get some cool action shots in the future (prob next summer )

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

Hell ya! that sucker looks great nice job. looks like fun project.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 09:33 am   Permalink

Sweet board! Love the bike.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eric 21
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 10:41 am   Permalink

frenchy old school bike !!!!lol idem

View Profile of eric 21 Send a personal message to eric 21  Goto the website of eric 21     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-26 12:12 am   Permalink

Thanks Seeks, Lizard and Eric

Added a leash for good measure and went surfing today The basics boil down to I suck (hey, Ive never surfed anything before), I caught 3 decent waves, and I had a good time. As you can see the weather was pretty special too

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation