[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Enchanted Tiki Room Presentation at NFFC
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Enchanted Tiki Room Presentation at NFFC
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 09:01 am   Permalink

well see, that's what amazes me! how long could that thing last in the sun and weather with electronic and pneumatic innards and not malfunction or look ratty after just a few days? you'd think that since the barker bird was so high up and away from the crowd that they would have made him a little more durable and just sculpted his body entirely.

looking at my bird, i'm amazed that something like that would've been out in the elements for more than a day. i wonder how many barker birds they had on hand?

good ol' disney show quality!!! thanks, walt!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki1963 2005-07-20 09:02 ]

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 09:58 am   Permalink

Kevin & Jody found LOTS of Barker Birds while doing their research to create this one. There were red, blue, green, pink ones... they eventually settled on this design, as this is the one that Walt introduces people to during the Disneyland 10th Anniversary TV show. (You can see it on the Disneyland tin set.)

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-20 09:01, tiki1963 wrote:
well see, that's what amazes me! how long could that thing last in the sun and weather with electronic and pneumatic innards and not malfunction or look ratty after just a few days? you'd think that since the barker bird was so high up and away from the crowd that they would have made him a little more durable and just sculpted his body entirely.

looking at my bird, i'm amazed that something like that would've been out in the elements for more than a day. i wonder how many barker birds they had on hand?

good ol' disney show quality!!! thanks, walt!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki1963 2005-07-20 09:02 ]

Actually (and I KNOW I have a photo of this somewhere...) there was a kind of "pill bug" looking protective covering they'd put around him at night....

You can't see it here - but it was just below him & would coccon up and over the bird...

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:43 am   Permalink

god knows i've seen images of the barker bird a million times...but i gotta say, is that not the coolest idea in the world?

damn, disneyland was so over-the-top awesome back in the day!

View Profile of tiki1963 Send a personal message to tiki1963  Email tiki1963     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:43 am   Permalink

Interesting photos, Tangeroa.

I wonder, what's the provenence of the bamboo cane?

I notice that the BB in your photos doesn't have one, but his perch is bamboo.

Hmmm... bambooing the perch, that might also be a project to undertake.

He certainly looks a little more shaggy than the one in the Walt photo.

I'd like to get a blow up of that Walt photo to take a look at it.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:45 am   Permalink

BTW, Pirates of the Caribbean in Florida has a barker bird.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 10:51 am   Permalink

i have a bunch of vintage tiki room exterior slides osmewhere in all this mess. here's another color pic of the barker in his element...

tiki1963
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 2:42 pm   Permalink

isn't that the WDW/Pirates barker bird with the shaven belly...right?

man, that thing freaked me out as a kid!

that would sure be a cool follow up limited to the tiki room barker! i'd like to mount him to my shoulder and hit venice beach with that one!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki1963 2005-07-20 14:44 ]

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 9:07 pm   Permalink

The WDW parrot has a shaven belly with a tattoo of an anchor. Plus a peg-leg.
He was originally located just before the speedramp exiting the attraction and gave the safety spiel. One would assume it caused a pile-up and they moved him outside.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 11:09 am   Permalink

Any of you folks who wished you could have been at Kevin's presentation at NFFC shouldn't miss this Friday's Tiki Taix!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15803&forum=4&0

This is King Kukulele's monthly tiki cabaret night, it happens the last Friday each month at Taix French Restaurant in Echo Park (not far from Tiki-Ti). This month, Kevin is going to be leading a tribute to the Enchanted Tiki Room, and it will include lots of elements from the NFFC show.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation