FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's is coming back
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Trader Vic's is coming back
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 2:09 pm   Permalink

This item was in Leah Garchik's column in the SF Chronicle today:

Harry de Wildt gave a birthday lunch for Denise Hale at Campton Place last Wednesday, at which John Traina (that's all the social stuff, now let's get to the news) said that all $50,000 shares in the new Trader Vic's have been sold, and the next step is $3.5 million in renovations to the site, the old Stars. Chipping in has a nice old-fashioned ring to it, but it also means that shareholders are likely to have special privileges, which is traditional, too. The old Trader Vic's was a place where everybody was served the same bongo bongo soup, but outsiders couldn't help notice that the swells got better tables.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 2:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-04-04 23:14, donhonyc wrote:
Great news. Just hope the one they open in NYC is as cool as the original/vintage versions.

Does anyone know what is happening in the space formerly occupied by Trader Vic's NYC in the basement of the Plaza Hotel? I heard it's still not being used. Are the furnishing and decorations still intact? Might warrant an investigation.

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-12 14:09, cynfulcynner wrote:

This item was in Leah Garchik's column in the SF Chronicle today:

all $50,000 shares in the new Trader Vic's have been sold, and the next step is $3.5 million in renovations to the site, the old Stars.

I hope the new cash is invested in a hurry. Trader Vic's has 12 months before the next crawl.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 11:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-30 21:16, ekman spiral wrote:
juno,
no need to worry AC is exactly the same, if not worse, then you left it. i presently live in OC which despite their continual raping of their past architecture and roots is not as bad as AC.... yet. (hey GRACE KELLY lived here!!)

Unfortunately the house she lived in is gone. We had our family wedding reception at a family member's house that is right across the street from where the Grace Kelly house was recently demolished. They are building another new OC McMansion in its place. I guess it could be worse: They could build a WalMart there instead of a house.

Hey, Ek, we'll be in OC for a week in July. If you're around, let's meet up.

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 12:26 pm   Permalink

An off the record comment from a Vic's employee is that Arizona is next (now surprise), then Vegas (no location yet) and in a few years, Hawaii (also no location yet).
Also, Trader Vic's drink book is being re-issued!!!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 7:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-11-15 12:26, mrsmiley wrote:[/
An off the record comment from a Vic's employee is that Arizona is next (now surprise), then Vegas (no location yet) and in a few years, Hawaii (also no location yet).

Mahalo for the update, Mr.Smiley.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 12:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 12:26, mrsmiley wrote:
An off the record comment from a Vic's employee is that in a few years, Hawaii (also no location yet).

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 11:20 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 11:36 pm   Permalink

My tiki kharma must be dead on lately because I rarely read the paper but the cool dining section caught my eye in the lunchroom today. Read and enjoy!

Scroll down to Trader Vic's Returns

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 11:48 pm   Permalink

Link to the Hotel Valley Ho website were Trader Vic's will be located has finally been updated with construction pics. I drive by frequently...they are busy!

Hotel Valley Ho website

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-02-03 09:33 am   Permalink

That is incredibly promising. Sounds like Vic's is franchising again. With a chef who wants to keep it old school and set in such a beautiful hotel, my optimism meter is running high!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 10:16 am   Permalink

This is a beautiful hotel, looking at it from the website.
I did not know it existed.
A definite Tiki Central gathering when Trader Vics opens!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-03 11:23 am   Permalink

keep snooty michael bauer out of the place!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-15 12:26, mrsmiley wrote:

Wow, I must have an original copy - who knew?

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 10:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-12 14:45, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-04-04 23:14, donhonyc wrote:
Great news. Just hope the one they open in NYC is as cool as the original/vintage versions.

Does anyone know what is happening in the space formerly occupied by Trader Vic's NYC in the basement of the Plaza Hotel? I heard it's still not being used. Are the furnishing and decorations still intact? Might warrant an investigation.

Maybe a little late for a response, but I just noticed the post. I live a few blocks from the Plaza, and there is currently nothing there. There was a nightclub there for a while (I went in out of curiosity, but it was heartbreaking to see), so it is definitely not intact.

I am hoping and praying for a return to NYC of the good Trader. Interestingly enough, there is still a brass sign next to the fire hose "siamese" connection that says "Trader Vic's". I am getting a digital camera next week and I want to get a picture of that. I can post it if anyone cares.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 10:30 am   Permalink

I live a few blocks from the Plaza, and there is currently nothing there. There was a nightclub there for a while (I went in out of curiosity, but it was heartbreaking to see), so it is definitely not intact.

I am hoping and praying for a return to NYC of the good Trader. Interestingly enough, there is still a brass sign next to the fire hose "siamese" connection that says "Trader Vic's". I am getting a digital camera next week and I want to get a picture of that. I can post it if anyone cares.
[/quote]
mR sMILEY has been temporarily invade by an evil thought; "When you visit the sign, how about bringing your digital camera AND a crowbar!!"

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation