FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Resin Table Grapes?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Resin Table Grapes?
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 3:15 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have any information on the lost art of resin grape manufacturing? There must be some round vintage molds floating around somewhere. I think it's high time to resurrect this hobby

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chacha
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-16 3:23 pm   Permalink

I just love those things and was just looking at two grape swag lamps yesterday.

View Profile of Chacha Send a personal message to Chacha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 3:41 pm   Permalink

I'm dating myself, but my mom had a set on her living room coffee table. I always thought they were pretty cool.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 4:33 pm   Permalink

Love 'em! You can get them at flea markets for a few bucks (usually).

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
eel
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-16 4:37 pm   Permalink

I've been working with resin for a while now. Those who have attended Oasis have seen my seahorses, mermaids, swordfish, tables, lamps, jewelry, etc.

Some day I'll post pictures...I've been meaning to for a while

If you decide to try the "vintage craft" yourself be aware that the materials are expensive and highly toxic. Even though I have a collection of about 10 vintage DIY resin books, many of the materials needed aren't even made anymore due to their toxicity. There is a book called "Pad" in which there are detailed instructions for creating a set of coasters.

As for grape molds, I have some old stock glass ones however I have yet to use them, they are a one shot deal. I've found that the grapes are plentiful out there and I pick them up whenever I find a good color or good price.

I love doing it and am constantly creating new stuff. I also have a large collection of vintage resin lamps, wall art, furniture, and jewlery. Cheesy fun!

View Profile of eel Send a personal message to eel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 8:30 pm   Permalink

Im surprised that these things turn up semi regularly in yard and estate sales but Ive yet to see a mold of one. Like tiki mugs theyre one of those items that can go for either $1 or $50 depending on the seller. Ebays a good source but the shipping of an 8 pound item is often more than the purchased price. Ive seen lamps, bookends, table grapes, and candle holders made out of those crazy grapes and everyone I met seems to have fond memories of them so I thought a revival would be a natural. Id love to be able to make a cluster of colored tikis on a vine as a homage.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-17 12:57 pm   Permalink

I was going to sell a pair of red grape swag-lamps that I found at a garage sale until I actually plugged them in and saw how beautiful they are. I hung them behind the tiki bar in front of the zebra-skin instead. Here's a photo of Doctor-Z & the grape lamps from last party. He is pointing out the lion-claw scars on the zebra.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-17 2:15 pm   Permalink

That's my husband Krustiki in the picture with Dr. Z. It's funny that he would show up in a thread about resin grapes, because I love them and keep buying them, but he can't understand why!

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-17 3:57 pm   Permalink

Yes! Love em!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 10:29 am   Permalink

Does anyone remember the "clackers" that were made of two big resin grapes attached to both ends of a string? You held the middle of the string and moved your hand up & down real fast so the grapes would swing up and down & hit eachother making a clacking noise. They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 2:44 pm   Permalink

When they were the rage in elementary school you couldn't walk ten feet without hearing the rhythm of the clack. As long as you hit them below the ring they were fine but when you got bored with this and put some muscle into them you might painfully hit your face or even chip the resin. I've had this one for a while now and still haven't worked up the courage to go downtown on it.

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 10:45 pm   Permalink

I love the clackers! We all had them in elementary school.
I still have 2 sets and as for the table grapes, I like the lamps best. I've only bought one (at a yard sale last summer) and as I walked back to my car I could hear the people at the sale all laughing at me. Well, the jokes on them because I got one cool as hell lamp for $1.00

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-08 03:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-06 10:29, kctiki wrote:
They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

In the UK we were told they were banned coz the balls could fly up and break bones, that why there known as wrist-breakers.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 05:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-08 03:52, atomictonytiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-06 10:29, kctiki wrote:
They were contraband at school because the resin could shatter and (you guessed it) put your eye out!

In the UK we were told they were banned coz the balls could fly up and break bones, that why there known as wrist-breakers.

Or worse. When I was about 6 my Dad was showing me how they worked, and on my first attempt I nailed him right in the nuts.

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 5:39 pm   Permalink

Yeah, resin grapes are cool, but I'm working on something that will revolutionize the "resinated fruit craze"....
RESIN RAISINS!!!!!!!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation