[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-16 11:01 am   Permalink

I use my groggy upside-down so the top fits into the base. When I tried to do it the proper way(with the glass on the bottom) I made a big mess.
But I'm weird that way. Maybe it has something to do with being left-handed?

Chip&Andy, don't you still have to invert the whole mess when you go to strain from the metal side?

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-16 10:57, Chip and Andy wrote:
So, my question is... Am I just an idiot when it comes to shaking a drink or have any of you had the problem with leaks and spills from your shaker when the top fits into the base versus when the top fits over the base.

I don't use a Boston shaker, but whenever I see a respectible bartender use one, they always give the glass a good smack down with their palm to form the seal before shaking. And the seal is so great after shaking that they have to smack on the side of the glass (either with their palm or on the side of the counter) to break the seal. With a seal that strong, it shouldn't leak. But like I said, I'm a wuss and use a standard shaker.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-17 1:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-17 12:54, GatorRob wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-08-16 10:57, Chip and Andy wrote:
So, my question is... Am I just an idiot when it comes to shaking a drink or have any of you had the problem with leaks and spills from your shaker when the top fits into the base versus when the top fits over the base.

I don't use a Boston shaker, but whenever I see a respectible bartender use one, they always give the glass a good smack down with their palm to form the seal before shaking. And the seal is so great after shaking that they have to smack on the side of the glass (either with their palm or on the side of the counter) to break the seal. With a seal that strong, it shouldn't leak. But like I said, I'm a wuss and use a standard shaker.

You can break the glass that way and cut your hand severely, so it is not a good idea. The preferred way is to hold the glass firmly on the bottom with the glass part on the top end and twist. That way if it breaks it just ruins the drink and you won't have to go to the hospital.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-16 11:01, Tikiwahine wrote:
I use my groggy upside-down so the top fits into the base. When I tried to do it the proper way(with the glass on the bottom) I made a big mess.
But I'm weird that way. Maybe it has something to do with being left-handed?

Chip&Andy, don't you still have to invert the whole mess when you go to strain from the metal side?

I don't have any problems with the Boston Shaker, I love it. But sometimes you want something a little prettier when you pour, like the one in your picture....

The problem I run into is the top fits into the bottom, so when you shake (I usually shake hard) it leaks and I wind up wearing a good deal of the cocktail. Then, when I pour, it drips out and spills around the edges of the top. I have to pull the top off and then apply a strainer, kind of ruining the effect of having a pretty shaker in the first place..... I will see if I can get some pics of what I am talking about, maybe show-and-tell will help.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-17 13:42, Chip and Andy wrote:
The problem I run into is the top fits into the bottom, so when you shake (I usually shake hard) it leaks and I wind up wearing a good deal of the cocktail. Then, when I pour, it drips out and spills around the edges of the top. I have to pull the top off and then apply a strainer, kind of ruining the effect of having a pretty shaker in the first place..... I will see if I can get some pics of what I am talking about, maybe show-and-tell will help.....

I had that problem too, messy & slow. The holes in the top are such a good idea, they just need to re-design the whole thing.

I'd be much happier with a shaker like our groggy one, that has tikis on either side. maybe etched in? with tapa bands across the top & bottom?
you listening tiki farm?

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 2:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-17 13:19, thejab wrote:
You can break the glass that way and cut your hand severely, so it is not a good idea. The preferred way is to hold the glass firmly on the bottom with the glass part on the top end and twist. That way if it breaks it just ruins the drink and you won't have to go to the hospital.

Sorry, I got it backwards! I meant the metal half gets smacked down to seal it and then after shaking, the metal half is gently smacked on the side to break the seal. That's the way I've watched the pros do it anyway.

EDIT: I was curious, so pulled a few other bartending video clips I have and they're all different. Some smack it, some twist. Twisting does sound less dangerous, if less flashy.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2006-08-17 15:03 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-17 3:08 pm   Permalink

I think I twist slightly to begin, then smack it gently on the counter if there's any hint of being stubborn when it's time to release.

Boy, I hope no one quotes me out of context.

TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-01 12:06 pm   Permalink

I love vintage shakers and have a few but they're little use for mixing cocktails.

I watched Alton Brown's recent episode on cocktails -- including Daquiris -- and he recommended a Boston shaker. I bought a nice one at Williams Sonoma but couldn't get used to smacking it to open the seal.

Then I tried this one from OXO and I think it's the best. It's a cobbler but the top seals to the bottom nicely and the tapered straining nozzle makes accurate pouring a breeze. No drips or slips. The rubberized cap stays on snugly during shaking, and the bottom half is insulated, so you only feel the cold building up through the strainer top, making the shaker easy to hold as your drink gets colder. You can get this one for around $25.

[ This Message was edited by: TraderPeg 2006-10-01 12:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TraderPeg 2006-10-01 12:09 ]

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 7:37 pm   Permalink

I'm still using my trusty (and dented) plain ol' capped metal shaker handed down to me by my dad (who bought it around 1963).
Speaking of plain, here's a rather bland glass shaker I have with recipes printed

...until you put the fully automatic stirrer cap on! (one C battery not included)

It's incredibly useless (I get a better mix-up by hand), but it's a neat novelty and keeps my battery-operated swizzle-stick company...

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-01 9:19 pm   Permalink

Traderpeg, I agree with you regarding the OXO shaker. I got mine from a thrift shop real cheap and have been using it ever since. I have about 4 or 5 other ones but this one is the best.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-02 8:37 pm   Permalink

Twitch, there's nothing like using an old tool with history, that's for sure.

Some of these cool old mixing glasses make good pint beer glasses for the bar, and keep doing their duty that way.

Here's to the old stuff we love, and the new stuff that works great!

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation