FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food All the Cool Kids use Shakers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
All the Cool Kids use Shakers
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-07 2:50 pm   Permalink

My $.02, but I've gone with stainless for both ends of the shaker. I've had a couple of instances where the glass breaks during shaking, which is not only dangerous (which I don't mind), but makes a huge mess (which I do mind!). Had it happen in the back of the Mai Kai and had to toss a entire 50 gal drum of ice because glass pieces got into it. You can also squeeze a stainless tin, which helps when you go to break the seal. They also don't break like glass. They can also be used as a poor man's mint julep or mule cup!

Make sure you get the right size, though. They sell two sizes and the smaller size (16 oz) drops too far into a standard bottom tin to be of any use.

As far as weighted, I guess I'm much lazier than AceExplorer, scratch that, I KNOW I'm much lazier than he is, so the extra weight doesn't do anything for me!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-08 05:59 am   Permalink

Good notes, TikiHardBop! From my reading online, it's the 18oz shaker tins which fit well into the 28oz shakers and make a good high seal.

Very nice tip to use the top shakers as julep cups.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-07-08 10:50 am   Permalink

I make a lot of my drinks nowadays in a top down mixer but mai tai's, daiquiris, and certain other drinks should always be shaken. I just recently bought my first Boston shaker after having always used stainless cobblers. It took a little practice but I'm so glad for the transition. Once you figure out the technique of sealing and releasing the glass from the metal tin, it's so much faster and easier than trying to pry the top off a cobbler shaker once it's gotten ice cold. That said, if I'm making something that needs to be strained (such as a daiquiri), to me it's easier to just release the cap off the cobbler and use the built in strainer than it is to grab a Hawthorn strainer to put over the Boston shaker.

I paid $15 for the Boston shaker at World Market. The pint glass had a rubber ring around the top but I found that whenever I smacked the tin down over the glass, the rubber surround would shift and not keep the seal. So I just took that off and use the glass directly against the tin and have not had any trouble thus far. A few days ago I was in a Restaurant Depot and saw they sold metal tins and glass pint glasses separately for like $3 each. And at a liquor/supply store they sold the tins on their own for a whopping $16. That's a crazy mark up. The sizes all seem to be the same between the three places. Any idea why there's such a discrepancy in pricing?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-08 2:39 pm   Permalink

Because they can? Personally, I have found that for your day-to-day cocktail tools, you can't really beat the prices of barproducts.com. From there, you can work you way up to the sky-high priced, but really, really nice stuff at places like Cocktail Kingdom.

And learning to use the Hawthorne and julep strainers is something that really comes in handy. The Hawthorne allows you to adjust the amount of straining of the cocktail you are serving. So you go from a really clear daiquiri to an everything but the kitchen sink Mai Tai.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-09 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-07-08 14:39, TikiHardBop wrote:
...can't really beat the prices of barproducts.com.

Yup, that's where I got my prices on the top 18oz shakers, and the bottom 28oz shakers. They claim low prices on their stainless because they manufacture (I think that really means they import directly from the manufacturer) overseas.

I always comparison shop with their web site. They also have pretty good write-ups if you're into the details of what you buy. With the pro shakers, for example, the 93mm top opening dimension is critical and they mention this in some of their descriptions. And they cater very well to professional and flair bartenders and people building bars who need mats, rails, racks, and other important stuff.

They ship from Largo, Florida, so the closer you are to the Keys the faster you get your stuff. I get my stuff in 1-2 days.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-07-09 12:50 pm   Permalink

And just to be accurate, the Largo that they ship from is between Clearwater and St. Pete. I spent a week there one afternoon.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-07-09 1:44 pm   Permalink

Oops, you're right TikiHardBop, thanks for the correction. I should know that "Key Largo" and "Largo" aren't the same places... Been to both many times and must have started daydreaming every time I read the address on my packages from them.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation