FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Palama Tiki's First Attempt at AAC/Moai: Finished! Pg. 2..
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Palama Tiki's First Attempt at AAC/Moai: Finished! Pg. 2..
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 05:39 am   Permalink

Decisions, decisions... should i start a sable palm Ku or go with the AAC Moai?

since i didn't feel like debarking that palm, i decided on the AAC moai.

here's some progression shots (another first for me): i used a small hand saw, a rasp/plane, old kitchen knife, and a chisel.

this guy is in a very roughed out state, and the nose is coming out all wrong.

I'm thinking that i need to lower the forehead and the cheekbone area to give more relief to the nose, then plane down the hook in the nose till it's straight, as well as narrow the width.

I'm also unsure about carving the mouth; it looks simple but there's alot of subtlety in the Moai design that's not apparent till you start carving one.

Any suggestions A-A, or anyone else who's done Moai/AAC?

i'll be working on him more tonight.
thanks for looking.

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-19 05:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 05:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 05:22 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Palama Tiki 2005-07-20 17:58 ]

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 06:15 am   Permalink

The forehead sticks out too much, and the nose is flat? I found with carving AAC is that the square block shape has an influence on the shape of the tiki. Most carvings are round logs, so I found a square block just looked wierd when i tried to carve it. I think there is a need to hack away a lot of material to get one to work. But I've only done one, so I'm no expert.

Having said this, Gavtikis tikis were very square and seemed to work, so what would i know?

My current AAC tiki is being a little brat too.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfinstro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-18 06:17 am   Permalink

Nice Job!
Where do you find the ACC?

View Profile of surfinstro Send a personal message to surfinstro  Email surfinstro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 06:28 am   Permalink

I get the AAC from the local hardware store. However, it seems to be harder to come across in the states.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 06:50 am   Permalink

surfinstro: Thanks... i got a free AAC block from a local manufacturer. they usually sell it by the palletload, but i just wanted to try it out. it's a very interesting medium to work in.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 09:04 am   Permalink

well, the more i look at Rapanui Moai photos, the more i realize that it's gonna be difficult to salvage Franken-Moai, but i'll give it a try.

suggestions please (other than using him for a boat anchor).

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 1:08 pm   Permalink

I'd narrow the nose down a bit, it looks a little wide. And maybe trim the forehead back a bit. After you finish the rough, some 60 grit sandpaper will do wonders to smooth all the edges and make it all flow together. There's lots of different Moai styles - it will look fine. And remember, you're only half done.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 1:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks A-A, i appreciate the help. i'll be working on it tonight if the weather holds.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 3:50 pm   Permalink

Aaron speaks the truth.shave some off the head and forehead. A gentle slope from the head to the jaw line will even it out. just keep shaving a bit off at a time until it looks right. You are on the right track and just half way done.
Lookin good

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfinstro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-18 4:44 pm   Permalink

Does anyone know where I can get it in PA?
Thanks

View Profile of surfinstro Send a personal message to surfinstro  Email surfinstro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 5:47 pm   Permalink

Surfinstro: i would do an internet search for AAC manufacturers, or better yet, PM Aaron's Akua for info; he's the resident expert on AAC.

Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 6:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benz and A-A for the advice. i managed to salvage the carving this evening.... all hail the angle grinder! a 50 grit sanding disc did the trick in re-shaping the forehead and nose more to my liking. (i tried posting the photos, but having problems uploading the pics, so i'll post them tomorrow).

I'll work on the mouth and chin tomorrow evening.

purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 7:15 pm   Permalink

Here's some AAC dealers on the US.
http://www.safecrete.com/contactus.cfm

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-18 7:24 pm   Permalink

Looks really good to me. I want to try some of that stuff too.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 05:29 am   Permalink

Thanks Rodeotiki... it's looking alittle better as of last night. here's the results of the re-shaping with the angle grinder:

i narrowed the nose and tried to get the peak like the originals, but it came out this way, and i'm thinking i'll stay with that, with some minor refinements. the forehead/brow area needs straightening.

tonight i'll work on the mouth/chin area.

thanks for looking and for the helpful suggestions.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation