FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hawaii 12-20 Auburn, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Hawaii 12-20 Auburn, MA (restaurant)
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-19 7:56 pm   Permalink

Name:Hawaii 12-20 Auburn, MA
Type:restaurant
Street:Corner of rtes 12 & 20
City:Auburn
State:MA
Zip:01501
Phone: 617-832-5858

Description:
All I remember about this place was big tikis out front and begging my parents to go there. They probably replied with something like, "Shut up, you." It must have closed when I was in college (88-92). Anyone remember it? It's a 99 Restaurant now. (how I hate it)

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2005-07-20 12:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: pappythesailor 2007-07-12 02:50 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-12 02:54 am   Permalink

From my phone book research, I think this place closed in 1987. I also found out it was a motor lodge too so if you got too drunk you could stumble out back to a room. Here's a pic.

Things must have been desperate in 1986. From their 1986 yellow pages ad: "We now have country music and line dancing in our new Hee Haw Lounge." Golly.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 8:11 pm   Permalink

I do remember this place but, I never went there. I do, however, have a mug!

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 8:13 pm   Permalink

Hey, Pappy:
Do you have any info about the Mauna Kai in Marlboro or the Wind Tiki in Worcester?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-03 08:42 am   Permalink

No and almost nothing. I'm a failure. It's a good thing I didn't pursue my history degree because I can't dig up anything.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-12 4:49 pm   Permalink

Here's another piece to add.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-02 20:13, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey, Pappy:
Do you have any info about the Mauna Kai in Marlboro or the Wind Tiki in Worcester?

Hey Rick, the Wind Tiki is still open and really not a bad place at all. There is no actual tikis, but lots of bamboo and it IS (sort of) an A-frame building. I would compare it with the Bali Hai in Saugus. Drinks are OK, food is good, and they got a cool ceiling to floor waterfall in the middle of the "grotto room".
Ya wanna go some night?

Another place I "frequent" is the Kahula in Southbridge, MA. ZERO tiki, but there has been some nights I've walked out of there staggering with just 2-3 drinks.

The Wind Tiki may not be a bad place for the NE tiki clan to meet at sometime.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-23 8:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The Wind Tiki may not be a bad place for the NE tiki clan to meet at sometime.

Yikes. I lived three blocks from there and I never went, not even for takeout. If we're gonna go someplace w/o tiki, I'd vote for a place that at least has good Chinese food. (My apologies to Mr. Woo.)

Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-04 6:00 pm   Permalink

Yikes. I lived three blocks from there and I never went, not even for takeout. If we're gonna go someplace w/o tiki, I'd vote for a place that at least has good Chinese food. (My apologies to Mr. Woo.)
[/quote]

Pappy, are you referring to the Wind Tiki or Kahula? I didn't think the food at Wind was all that terrible. (certainly not the best I've ever had). The Kahula on the other hand......that's a "drinks only" kind of place!

Also, After talking with Rick this past weekend, he informed me that he was talking about the defunct Wind Tiki in Worcester, MA. I was referring to the one in Webster, MA. I did not realize there was another one.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 3:47 pm   Permalink

Hawaii 1220
definitely worthy of further discussion.
And why 1220?

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 3:57 pm   Permalink

Corner of routes 12 & 20.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 5:33 pm   Permalink

Damn! I forgot how cool that place was! Is's an @&%#ing 99 restaurant, now!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 9:31 pm   Permalink

Whoaaa Nelly! That is one swank watering hole! In my mind's eye, I can see shag carpeting and chunky resin lights glowing inside a Witco land. Or perhaps it was just a standard Orchids of Hawaii outfitted Fu joint - but the outside is killer!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 10:06 am   Permalink

Kiara,

That is a fantastic photo, great find. Appreciate your posts on TC.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-29 11:18 am   Permalink

I was reminded of this place:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33074&forum=2

...and this place:

...and of course this Florida classic at the Daytona Hawaiian Inn:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation