FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki in Denver?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki in Denver?
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 3:12 pm   Permalink

I was unable to find mention of Tiki in Denver in the Locating Tiki forum or on CriTiki. Is there anything remotely Tiki in Denver? Please don't tell me that Denver is lamer than the Twin Cities!

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 3:22 pm   Permalink

I'm not aware of any tiki currently in Denver myself, but I *have* heard that there's a cool over-the-top Mexican place with a big mariachi band. I don't recall the name of it. Not what you're looking for, but sounds interesting nonetheless.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-20 3:30 pm   Permalink

The Mexican place is Casa Bonita. Indoor waterfalls with a cliff diving show and roaming mariachi band. You get service at your table by raising a little flag. Probably 8 or so different sub-themed dining areas, including in the rocks behind the waterfall. Pretty amazing and fun. No tiki.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 3:33 pm   Permalink

Yes! That's the place I'd heard of, thanks Randy. Sounds like a must-see.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:12 pm   Permalink

Ooh! That sounds cool! I'll look into going there.

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-20 6:38 pm   Permalink

Whaddya know, Casa Bonita has a website!

About other tiki stuff in the area, there was a place in LoDo awhile back called Tabu that had a logo theme heavily borrowing from Bosko's style, and some decor from Oceanic Arts. But the word was that it was just a normal dance club, hardly a tiki sanctum. Check out this old thread for a little more info too.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-20 9:41 pm   Permalink

Here are a few older links to some threads about tiki here in Colorado. You can still find a few traces if you look hard enough. Just within the last month I found an older mobile home park originally called the Kon-Tiki Village. It was de-tikified in 1997 when it was sold and the name was changed to Bear Creek Village. But there are a few architectural elements left on the clubhouse.

Colorado Tiki Part I

Tiki Kai Part I

Tiki Kai Part II

Colorado Tiki Part II

Colorado Tiki Part III

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2005-09-13 20:22 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 07:28 am   Permalink

There was a whole "South Park" episode about Cartman trying to get invited to a birthday party at Casa Bonita that involved convincing Butters that the world was destroyed by a meteor: http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/southpark/season7/southpark-711.htm

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-21 1:55 pm   Permalink

My. wife was friends with the guys who invented South Park. They all went to school together. Can you imagine the yearbook? "the guys most likely to make cartoons about little kids and poo....."
And Casa Bonita rocks, the food sucks, but if it ever closes shop, it would make the ULTIMATE Tiki bar. Thirty foot waterfall, caves, rope bridges, plam trees and fake lava rock everywhere.......man, it would be beautiful.
Savin' my pennies.....

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Modern Drunkard

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:03 am   Permalink

Alas, the long drought is over. Denver does indeed have a Tiki bar now: Tiki Boyd's in the Ramada on East Colfax. Tiki aficionado Boyd Rice (see: Taboo: The Art of Tiki) recently designed and assembled the lounge. They play only Tiki music on vinyl and the bartenders are steadily building their repertoire of Tiki cocktails. If you live in Denver and a Tiki item to contribute, they'll give you a fair trade in drinks.

View Profile of Modern Drunkard Send a personal message to Modern Drunkard  Email Modern Drunkard Goto the website of Modern Drunkard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:45 am   Permalink

Finally! That's fantastic news... and it's great to see you posting here, to boot!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 11:58 am   Permalink

What??? I thought I was up to speed with the tiki scene here in Denver. I have not heard a peep about this place. Must investigate ASAP.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 1:14 pm   Permalink

I'm thrilled to hear about the new Denver tiki place...pictures?

Mr Dale reports:
Quote:
And Casa Bonita rocks, the food sucks...

It sucks in the Tulsa Casa Bonita too...really really, dry rice, and there are no divers or anything like that. However, the basic decor is good and, like Denver, it'd be pre-adapted to tiki.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 4:04 pm   Permalink

When did Tiki Boyd's open? I was in Denver over Labor Day weekend. I'll gnash my teeth, pull my hair, and tear my clothing if it was open while I was there!

Or, maybe, I'll make a return trip. That certainly would be more enjoyable.

PS. FKR, Thanks for the great magazine.

ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-13 8:18 pm   Permalink

(edited out by ZM)

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2005-10-19 20:07 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation