FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving An important alert to the artists of TC
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
An important alert to the artists of TC
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 1:09 pm   Permalink

Sure there are.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-07-24 2:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2005-07-24 13:00, Razor wrote:
How much sense does that make to kick him off this forum?
Because he copied someones design?

I don't want him advertising here. He was just re-casting other's work; ripping off the original artists web graphics; blatantly flaunting the original source by saying stuff like "we're half the price of the Tiki Freaks!"; and being snotty here when people called him on it. The guy has no sense of ethics and I don't want him hanging around Tiki Central.

Quote:
Are these designs copywrited?

Yes, they are. Every piece of art created is automatically Copyrighted when it is created, whether it has a (c) symbol on it or not.

From the
US Copyright Website:

Quote:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created.

To claim that there is no original artwork in the world is a lame cop-out. If he feels all the good artwork has been done, then he should let the good people who did it originally sell them and make the money.

[ This Message was edited by: hanford_lemoore 2005-07-24 14:23 ]

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 2:11 pm   Permalink

Yeah, why not try selling copies of these on eBay? Mice are nothing new, right? They've gotta be public domain.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 2:18 pm   Permalink

Nice first post there Razor . So glad you could join us and impart some wisdom...

I think Red foreman would have said " Dumbass"

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-24 14:11, purple jade wrote:
Yeah, why not try selling copies of these on eBay? Mice are nothing new, right? They've gotta be public domain.

Actually they should be: they should've gone into public domain in 1984 but that was extended to 2000 by the
Copyright Act of 1976, then extended again to 2036 by the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act (aka "The Mickey Mouse Protection Act"). The Act was given the nickname due to the Walt Disney Company's spreading hundreds of thousands of dollars in lobbying cash around Congress, and was given it's official name to take full advantage of the feelings over Sonny Bono's (then recent) death from skiing into a tree at night while stoned on legal painkillers. Sonny wanted to legally change the term of copyright to "Forever," but after finding that that violated the constitution he put forward the proposition that it be made "Forever, minus one day." His wife & Congressional successor, Mary, has been pushing for that ever since.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 11:05 am   Permalink

You're a lotta help there, Doc. Thanks for the support.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 11:29 am   Permalink

FYI-

Surfinstro removed my piece from his site when I asked him too... I'm not selling my art, but I thought I should report.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-25 11:05, purple jade wrote:
You're a lotta help there, Doc. Thanks for the support.

PJ, I love you & your Hubby, but this perversion of Copyright just happens to be one of my hot buttons. No matter how much I love Disneyland I cannot condone what Disney's been doing to the Constitution to cover it's corporate ass(ets).

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2005-07-25 9:59 pm   Permalink

Surfinstro's been emailing me and asking me why I booted him from TC. It's really quite sad to read his defensive arguments about it.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 04:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-25 21:59, hanford_lemoore wrote:
Surfinstro's been emailing me and asking me why I booted him from TC. It's really quite sad to read his defensive arguments about it.

All the more reason to keep him away from the site.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 08:48 am   Permalink

I did not know surfinstro but was familiar with his live365 station and from another surf music forum. It is unfortunate that he was unable to see the errors of his actions before this all went down. I tried to politely let him know that what was doing was bad form and that I was willing to discuss the issue with him over the phone as two human beans. He did not call, but we did send several emails back and forth. I think he was coming around but unfortunately was still clinging to a thin rationalization that it was ok for him to do what he did because he ran the live365 station for free and made no money. I am bummed he got himself banned from T.C. it always suck to lose a surf music and tiki nut especially when it could of been avoided. Hoowever, I think Hanford did the right thing for the right reasons.

Saving the drama for my mama,
Chongolio

Great info Freddie. Very disturbing how flexible the laws are when the goverment wants them to be.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 10:19 am   Permalink

Maybe he can see if the local bookstore will let him use his live365 karma points to steal a book about how to learn wood carving. I suspect they won't go for it, either.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Razor

Posted: 2005-07-26 11:25 am   Permalink

"that it was ok for him to do what he did because he ran the live365 station for free and made no money"

I know him and I know he pays monthly to run that show and doesn't BEG or ask for donations. It's around 500 Yr

View Profile of Razor Send a personal message to Razor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Razor

Posted: 2005-07-26 11:41 am   Permalink

HERE ARE THE "RULES"
No discussing religion or politics. Tiki Central is not the place for this kind of discussion.

Your account must be linked to a valid email address. If a moderator of Tiki Central needs to get ahold of you, we will try your registered email address. If the email address is invalid we may temporarily disable your account until you can email us a new one.
Avoid writing entire subject lines and messages using all-capital letters. It makes your posts harder to read.
Be polite. Please refrain from insults and name-calling whenever possible. Be aware that if you do insult or name call, you'll be open to getting it back to you (tenfold, depending on who you insult!)
Spamming (posting the same message in all forums, or posting unwanted advertising in the forums) is strictly prohibited and will not be tolerated.

DID SURFINSTRO BREAK ANY OF THESE RULES?
NO

View Profile of Razor Send a personal message to Razor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 11:25, Razor wrote:
"that it was ok for him to do what he did because he ran the live365 station for free and made no money"

I know him and I know he pays monthly to run that show and doesn't BEG or ask for donations. It's around 500 Yr

Rayzor-Yep, thats what I meant, he did for it for free for the public to use without paying a cent just like many of other live 365 station owners on this board. My point being it did not give Surfinstro carte blanche to use other people's ideas and graphics as they were his own. He either gets it now or he is doomed to have this type of response follow him around where ever he does unethical business.
I still think it was a mistake that could of been forgiven if Surfinstro's reaction was'nt so hot and defensive and he stopped his auctions. Live and learn.

Chongolio

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com
Kamapua'a the Hawaiian Pig God www.piggod.com

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore - trying to fix the quotes - 2005-07-26 14:01 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation