FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Tim Biskup or Shag?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tim Biskup or Shag?
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 07:50 am   Permalink

Who came first? Somebody owes somebody.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 10:55 am   Permalink

I don't think it's a case of one "stealing" from the other, so much as both of them having the same influences. I see lots of Jim Flora in Biskup's work.

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2005-07-23 10:55 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 11:45 am   Permalink

Wow! No kidding. Thanks for that link !

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 3:41 pm   Permalink

To my eye, their styles are very different!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-23 7:03 pm   Permalink

Anybody going to the opening in Pasadena tonight. Sobeiski Gallery. Biskup, Shag, and more. Looked good through the window.

http://www.mendenhallsobieskigallery.com/exhibitions/index.html

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:03 pm   Permalink

I'm with Tangaroa. The only thing I see that is comparable is the simplicity of their styles.

Shag definitely was inspired by Jim Flora which he admits to but I don't really see that in Biskups work.

I like Biskups work much better but thats just my opinion.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-24 12:03, FLOUNDERart wrote:

Shag definitely was inspired by Jim Flora which he admits to but I don't really see that in Biskups work.

Huh?

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 9:38 pm   Permalink

Yeah - no offense Flounder - I see a ton of Jim Flora inspiration in Biskups work!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 05:08 am   Permalink

That's cool it's just my opinion.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 09:47 am   Permalink

Biskup is awesome - really talented! I wish I'd had the foresight to buy some of his work way back when (or Miles T's for that matter ) - you'd think he'd give me an "alumni discount"! (i.e. free - AHAHAHAHAA - OK - maybe not.)

aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-25 5:15 pm   Permalink

I'd say neither one owes anything to each other, and that both practice what's common to many forms of art - taking a variety of influences and developing a personal style that's unique but still shows traces of its lineage.

For example, take a look at this (apology for bad scan quality):

Is it Shag? No, Ward Kimball, from a Disney short in the 50s. There's a whole host of artists, illustrators, and animators from Vip to Friz Freleng who must have influenced a bunch of the styles we see today. BTW, along those lines, here's a little
feature-ette I put together recently on Ryohei Yanagihara, who also had a bright graphic style influenced by his contemporaries in the 50s. About the Jim Flora influence, I have to say I see a lot more of Flora's crazy surreal style in Tim Biskup than in Shag, whose work seems more representational, although stylized.

Another thing that both Shag and Tim Biskup also deserve some credit for is how their efforts helped pave the way for a wider range of "lowbrow" artists to reach people who might not otherwise have ever thought of buying art at all. Tim's Burning Brush art auctions provided a great link between artists and Joe Buyer, in a forum that's pretty hard to duplicate in the regular gallery setting. Shag's work itself has been sort of like the "gateway drug" for many art buyers, providing that first spark of interest in original art as something to actually take home, and an awareness of galleries like La Luz that regularly present works from other talented artists too. Dunno if this makes sense, and I'm not saying they're the main factor or only factor in the success of the "lowbrow" art scene, but I think they both deserve some credit.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 10:54 am   Permalink

Ed Fotheringham's stuff is also inspired by the works of people like Ward Kimball, Andy Warhol and others. But he took it in a different direction.

http://www.users.qwest.net/~efotheringham/

SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 12:13 pm   Permalink

A great point, and well delivered, Randy!

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
polynesian posh boy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:21 pm   Permalink

They are both amazing artists who are keeping the "low brow" alive and well today. I'd hang either one of their works over my mantle at home. I prefer one over the other but it is totally personal preference.

View Profile of polynesian posh boy Send a personal message to polynesian posh boy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquaorama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 6:50 pm   Permalink

I've got a couple of Shag and a couple of Biskups prints around the house. Although I love Shag I do feel that Biskup is REALLY catching on with people these days. I see his Gama Go clothes all over San Francisco and his prints are going for more and more every day.

View Profile of aquaorama Send a personal message to aquaorama      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation