Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Ukulele Classes in OC by Shirley Orlando
Ukulele Classes in OC by Shirley Orlando
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-07-24 12:27 pm   Permalink

Starting August 24th, Shirley Orlando will be offering a 6-week ukulele class here in Huntington Beach, CA.

Shirley is a multi-talented, top-notch musician in general, and a fabulous ukulele player specifically!

Ask those who saw the Smokin' Menehunes when she graced our stage about her fantastic playing.

Her number at her store - Island Bazaar - is 714-843-9350.

Island Bazaar is also a great place for rattan furniture, ukuleles, tons of Hawaiian fabric at great prices, Tiki Farm mugs, editions of Tiki Magnazine, and other great stuff.

Island Bazaar
16582 Gothard (just South of Heil)
Huntington Beach, CA

Stop by today!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 1:11 pm   Permalink

I'm finishing up my final lesson of the 6 with Shirley this coming Wednesday. Her class is great - I've learned 15 chords and can play 15 songs - all in 6 weeks! I'm taking the class with my friend Dean Sislin and the rest of our classmates are mostly in their 70's and are mostly former residents of Hawaii - it's been a real treat and at $72 ($75) is a great value. I recommend Shirley's classes to anyone interested.
Mahaloz,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 5:17 pm   Permalink

Yet another reason in the long list of why I hate Californians.

My skin is turning green.
My blood is turning green.

Harumph.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 5:46 pm   Permalink

Very Cool! All of it. Bong's post, Shirley's playing and lesson givin' and Holden has now joined the ukulele ranks! Keep at it and have fun, the ukulele will set you free!
Uke on,
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-23 11:27 am   Permalink

I read this on the fleamarketmusic bulletin board:

"Shirley was in a bad auto wreck. Broken ribs, punctured lung. She'll be okay but is in sore shape. Send cards to the shop."

She's a very nice lady and a gifted ukulele player. I hope she recovers quickly.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-24 6:16 pm   Permalink

I sincerely hope that Shirley is doing alright. I played in the Menehunes with her for a little over a year and haven't really spoken to her since. She is one of the kindest and most sincere ladies that I know. Get well, Shirley.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns 2006-03-24 18:17 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 12:14 pm   Permalink

Get well mana headin' out to Shirley from the Lost-Isle. A real nice lady and one heckuva of a uke player. High hopes for a speedy recovery! Piko did an interview with her on his podcast The Hawaiian Concert Guide. Search his site for Ukes for Troops, which is the orginization Shirley is involved with that put Ukuleles into the hands of guys and gals in uniform fightin' overseas.
You can also here her play on the latest episode of Coconut Wired. The song I play is off of the first Smokin' Menehune Demo and also features Lucky Design on guitar, TikiBong on lap steel. Not sure who is on drums Lucas? I don't even know the name of the song. Spike?

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 12:51 pm   Permalink

Hi Chong, I played shaker on the first Smokin menehunes CD (And bass guitar) and bongos and upright bass on the second CD. Polypop played conch on the first CD, Shirley played uke, Lucky D. was guitar and vocals, and bong on steel. The second CD had me, Lucky and Bong and Shirley played one song on Uke.

I think Bong went and visited Shirley, so he may have more info on her condition right now.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 11:43 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info Lucas! I hope to give the Smokin Menehunes some morre play and also get Lucky Designs new band Junk Bucket in a future episode. Let me know if you ever want to send some newer tunes out over the Coconut Wire.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-30 1:46 pm   Permalink

Sure Chong, will do! We are working on something right now.

I think Lucky D's band played recently somewhere local. I heard they kick ass!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pik0

Posted: 2006-03-31 10:41 pm   Permalink

Aloha mai kakou,

Just a quick update regarding Auntie Shirley. She's still improving and return home on Sunday or Monday of this week. She has kindly asked all the musical groups to take a few weeks off from using the Island Bazaar as our practice location.

Everyone down here is praying for Shirley and we hope she will be back on her feet real soon.

Malama pono,
Piko

View Profile of pik0 Send a personal message to pik0  Email pik0 Goto the website of pik0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation