FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Bretton's Bali Hai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
Bretton's Bali Hai, Kansas City, MO (restaurant)
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-24 9:07 pm   Permalink

Name:Bretton's Bali Hai
Type:restaurant
Street:1215 Baltimore?
City:Kansas City
State:MO
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
I found the mug shown
here at TikiRoom.net and in this post here at Tiki Central asking about it. So I did a little reserach online.

There's a photo online at the Kansas City Library showing Bretton's Restaurant at 1215 Baltimore in 1955. Nothing special. Have a look.

But in a 1957 article on tips for visitors to the city, \"Breton's Bali-Hai Room across the street from the Muehlebach Hotel between 11th and 12th on Baltimore Avenue\" was recommended. This would seem to be a different location (though close) from the original Bretton's.

This is all I know . . so far.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 11:03 am   Permalink

Here's some general info I found online about Bretton's Bali H'ai last year. It's from a 4/19/01 article in The Pitch: Bretton's founder, Max Bretton, was a rabbi before he went into the restaurant business in downtown KC. Bretton's was open from 1945 to the mid-1970's. The Bali H'ai Room was added in 1954 and served Cantonese dishes.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 4:00 pm   Permalink

Here's a menu from Bretton's Bali Hai :

and a matchcover:

[ This Message was edited by: puamana 2005-09-05 20:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: puamana 2009-12-09 21:12 ]

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 7:38 pm   Permalink

Here's the Bretton's mug that just sold on eBay for almost $70. (Yes, I have permission from the seller to use these photos for just this specific purpose.) How do we get all this put together on Critiki?

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2014-08-20 18:45 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-22 19:38, SilverLine wrote:
How do we get all this put together on Critiki?

Images need to be more than 500 pixels a side, information will be posted and updated by Humu when she has time but she's a very busy young woman. I suggest hiring her to do some of her spectacular web or database design, paying her lots, then giving her some time off to work on Critiki.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation