FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Is this Tiki?
Is this Tiki?
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-25 02:11 am   Permalink

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/calthai2003/detail?.dir=a502&.dnm=9678.jpg&.src=ph
I have a pair of them. They are from the Phillipines. Whadaya think?

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 02:16 ]

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 06:22 am   Permalink

They look pretty neat but I wouldn't consider them tiki per say. That doesn't mean they wouldn't look cool hanging in a tiki bar!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuimaleko
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-25 2:35 pm   Permalink

A hand carved, wooden, tribal, spiritual image from an island in the Pacific and it is not "Tiki" per se. Very interesting. Oh well, thanks for your response.
I actually bought them in Oregon ten years ago and thought they are PNW Indian. Then I found a tiny word carved on the back of one that I read as Panama, for five years until a friend with shaper eyes, said "that is not Panama, that word is Philippines." I checked it with a magnifying glass and he was right.
Oh, by the way isn't everything that goes into a Tiki Bar "Tiki"

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 15:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nuimaleko 2005-07-25 19:32 ]

View Profile of nuimaleko Send a personal message to nuimaleko  Email nuimaleko Goto the website of nuimaleko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 8:39 pm   Permalink

Would this be considered tiki? If we use the guidelines of being 'hand carved, wooden, tribal, spiritual image[s] from an island in the Pacific' could we consider this Philippine carved crucifix a tiki?

What Sven has stated so simply in the past was, “If it says ‘tiki’ on it, there should be tiki in it.” So no, not everything that goes into a tiki bar miraculously undergoes a sudden transformation to become "tiki."

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 9:39 pm   Permalink

No it is not tiki. It doesn't look tiki, it looks more Asian (Oriental) if anything.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 04:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-25 20:39, johntiki wrote:

could we consider this Philippine carved crucifix a tiki?

Well we TC's would not but Marquesans would refer to it as a
"Catholic tiki".

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation