Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving I must be insane
I must be insane
Teanoi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-26 08:29 am   Permalink

Encouraged by what I see posted here, I decided to have a go at carving my own tiki. I selected a small, dry piece of pine.

Lacking appropriate carving tools, I used a Swiss Army Knife. Yeah, that's right, a swiss army knife.

I sketched a simple face on the wood and went to work.

So far, I have blisters, raw hands, a big pile of shavings and a slightly narrower piece of wood.

I'm loving every second of it. I'm going to work around the eyes a little bit today.

View Profile of Teanoi Send a personal message to Teanoi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 08:35 am   Permalink

Ah! A good belly-laugh over coffee to start my day!! Thanks for posting that!! Insane? Yeahhh... prolly so... So what?!?! Practical...?? Sure!! You can use the tweezers from the Swiss Army Knife to remove the splinters!

Keep it up!! There's a tiki in that wood somewhere - just waiting to come out!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 08:55 am   Permalink

The first Tiki I ever tried was done the same way.
I found a piece of driftwood on the beach when I was in Rarotonga and I carved a Tangaroa like the ones I had seen around with my swiss army knife.
Thanks for bringing back a nice memory, and keep chipping away.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-26 09:42 am   Permalink

I am at work, coasting on my one hour of sleep I had last night due to my own obsessive creation of a pile of wood shavings.

oh, and there's a tiki emerging from this piece of log I have at home.

Stick with it and look for a woodcraft store. I just found one a mile and a half away from me that has been there for for a year. You should also try exacto blades.

p.s. My first tiki was carved from a chunk from a 2x4 with a scalpel

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 10:23 am   Permalink

Hey Teanoi

Glad to see another "tea" up in this place. Yeah man, any start is a good start. Thats about the same tools that I own.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:40 pm   Permalink

Ahoy there-

Let's see a pic- blisters or carving

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 8:17 pm   Permalink

Teanoi,

There is nothing wrong with you, you're just sick/nuts like the rest of us! You'll be fine if you keep carving a steady stream of tikis. However, your symptoms will get worse if you deny your urge to create. Bring on the pics - I want to see your thumb and the carving!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 12:51 am   Permalink

Mate, how good is it!? I had so much fun on that first tiki, it was unbeleivable. Can't wait to see the pics!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 10:07 am   Permalink

I am thinking of starting a treatment center for all of us stricken with this disease. Welcome to the club.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-27 10:54 am   Permalink

I have a fever -

And the only cure . . .

is MORE TIKI!!!

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Teanoi
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-27 3:47 pm   Permalink

I'm going to take just a little break until I can get my grubby little paws on either a) proper tools or b) a sharper knife.

I'm having trouble around the eyes too - I'm doing my best to not let the blade slip and cut into them.

I'll take pictures later.

View Profile of Teanoi Send a personal message to Teanoi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation