FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Having Kids is for people with Unsatisfying Careers?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Having Kids is for people with Unsatisfying Careers?
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:36 pm   Permalink

I was listening to a radio show the other night and the shows host made a comment that I found interesting.

His opinion is that having children is a great thing to do if you have an unsatisfying career. I guess its his opinion that a fulfilling job fills your life with more meaning and without that job, children can provide you with a similar sense of purpose.

As a person with kids, I thought about that statement for a moment to reflect on my own choices.

I have an OK job/career, but I have never really defined myself by what I do for money but rather the choices I make elsewhere in my life.

My relationships, Hobbies, and Kids are where my value lay.

What do you think?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 13:36, Monkeyman wrote:
His opinion is that having children is a great thing to do if you have an unsatisfying career.

Having children is a great thing to do if you are independently wealthy.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:51 pm   Permalink

two separate couples near and dear to my heart just miscarried (my sister in fact is in the hospital right now).

So my take is on it: if you are able to have children, count yourself blessed and lucky. none of that other stuff matters.

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 1:53 pm   Permalink

Were you listening to Phil Hendrie?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:01 pm   Permalink

My European buddies tell me that when you ask someone over there what they do they'll answer "I ski. I bicycle. I like to bake. I climb mountains." Mostly hobbies and other rec. stuff like that.

In America the answer is always "I'm an accountant. I'm a mechanic. I'm a talk show host." Always with the profession first.

That was their observation and I've found it to be pretty accurate.

Defining oneself by job is uniquely American.
Therefore, children, being difficult and not monetarily rewarding would be looked upon as liabilities from a self-centered mouth breather's point of view.

I'm quitting my job and growing what's left of my hair long and starting a commune right now.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:06 pm   Permalink

I think if you have kids (or other such dependants), it's not about "liking" your job/career anymore...you NEED it whether you like it or not. Your universe has expanded beyond your personal desires. So maybe people with kids tend to stay with "unsatisfying careers" because they have taken responsibility for the well-being of someone other than themselves. And a job is just a job, your family is your life.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:22 pm   Permalink

Good point peej!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:31 pm   Permalink

I never want to have kids. My leisure time is the most important thing to me - traveling, seeing bands, dining out, etc. My job isn't bad but it's only a way to provide the means to have quality leisure time. I'll never have enough vacation. I wish I had 6 weeks to 2 months of vacation a year instead of a measly 2 weeks.

Having kids (and even pets) is too much of a sacrifice for me. I like having the freedom to go when and where I please.

If I won the lottery I probably would quit working but pick up more hobbies and do some volunteering to keep busy.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 2:56 pm   Permalink

Good point Pablus! A friend from Philadelphia was visiting me a while back, and she was saying that she hated living in NY, because people always asked what she did in terms of work, and never what she did for fun, artistic expression, etc. (She's an independent filmmaker, who has a day job taping depositions)

I've always liked San Francisco, because amongst my friends, it always seemed that people had their day jobs, and their 'stuff they do, creatively' I work in a design/ad agency, but I also do photography, bike, tiki stuff, music etc.

I actually love my job, and I'm having a kid. I guess some people aren't so lucky to have great bosses, a supportive work environment and cool co-workers. Both of my bosses have been incredibly supportive of my choice to have a kid, both of them have kids, and started their own business so they could enjoy them more. During the summer we usually have one kid around during the week. Of course the down side is that I make about $20K less a year than I would if I worked at huge agency, needed to commute and be in the office 60 hours a week. We can live with that. But, I worked at some horrific jobs in the last few years, and feel like I paid my dues, and can really appreciate the pros vs. cons of this job.

I think Americans have a weird double standard, we preach about family values, but don't actually do much to encourage people having kids responsibly, or having the resources to care for them, or raise them properly. But, I don't want to go down THAT road on TC

It is sad that so much of our value is placed on what we do (do you have a real job?) how much $$ we make, and we kind of miss the whole quality of life measurement. We're constantly debating whether to stay in the Bay Area and run the treadmill of the rat race, or cash out and live someplace cheaper, where neither of us will be able to find jobs we like as easily. It's a tough choice.

We are so excited about this kid, but we also know that it means we may have to keep or take a job that goes south, to keep the insurance and paychecks coming, but that's life. PJ is right, a job is just a job, your family is your life. I feel pretty lucky to have a nice balance right now!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:04 pm   Permalink

I have a very satisfying job, and I am a parent.

I think people should do everything they do to satisfaction.

Anyone who thinks that child rearing is the easy path to personal satisfaction for those without a fulfilling career are probably not parents.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 15:04, BarkerBird wrote:

Anyone who thinks that child rearing is the easy path to personal satisfaction for those without a fulfilling career are probably not parents.

they've also not been 9 months pregnant in July...

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:21 pm   Permalink

zpg... zero population growth... http://www.populationconnection.org/index.html

then again, you can never love your children too much!

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:27 pm   Permalink

I like kids, but I can't stand kids that misbehave (who can?), and the parents that either don't know what to do about their kids behavior or who are just plain stupid.

I can see the point of the argument about unsatisfying careers and kids. Let's face it if you have a job that sucks, you need something to look forward to when you get home, that is if you like your kids. Personally I have mixed feelings about it all. I feel like I'm still a kid myself at 39, and I like the freedom I have. I still hang out and party with the same people I did almost 20 years ago. But I agree with cynfulcynner, kids are great for the 'independently wealthy'. It's a huge liability and one that I can't take on now, nor do I see it really happening in the near future. I think I would be a good parent, and not to get all existential and negative, but why exactly do people have children? For themselves, or because they think the child they would have would enjoy being on this planet? I'm getting up there in age now and I feel that if I do it, I should probably do it soon, but with all the craziness in the world right now I have to question why the hell would I want to bring a child into it? So that child has to deal with all of the same craziness, and perhaps more in the future?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 15:21, alohabros wrote:
zpg... zero population growth...

Don't you wish your parents were as insightful as you?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 3:47 pm   Permalink

DonHoNYC,

To ask why have children is to me, a little bit like asking "why fall in love?"

For yourself? Because you want someone to share all your life with you?

And if you don't fall in love, you have all this freedom. Go anywhere, do anything, no strings to tie you down.

Because to me, that's what parenting is like. It's like falling in love. Hard work. And you'll never see the end of that hard work. But at the same time, I have two great loves of my life, where I had only one before!

If you can get through life scott-free, with the minimal number of connections to others, with the least strings and commitments to those who require your time and devotion, so much for you. Maybe that's a good way to be in a crazy world.

As far as bringing a child into a crazy world, well, please point me to the epoch in history when there wasn't crazyness and it was a good time to have kids. It probably lasted only 20 or so years, and those kids grew up and had to clean up the problems of the world. My parents had me during vietnam. Their parents had them during WWII.

But I have to say, I really didn't understand any of that truely until I became a father. I enjoyed my relatively carefree years too, very much. But I enjoy my life now as well, and I absolutely wouldn't change it.

It's something to think about.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation