FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Having Kids is for people with Unsatisfying Careers?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Having Kids is for people with Unsatisfying Careers?
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 06:47 am   Permalink

The weird and freaky reality is, the main reason we have children is because we are biologically programmed to in our genes. But because we are human we like to add all sorts of interesing altruistic notions to this basic biological fact to try and fool ourselves that we are not just mammals like the rest of them!

Eee-ee-ee

Off to eat a banana

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-28 22:30, TikiGardener wrote:
And my work is there to pay the bills. And pay for a domicile that frames her lovely visage.

TG you gotta be kidding! You say you can't identify with people being proud of their children, which I can understand, but then you go and make a Hallmark card-esque comment like that about your wife? Are we supposed to aww and say 'how sweet' or are you trying to make us puke? If that's the relationship you're in and the love you share is so fulfilling and beautiful I'm happy that it makes you happy but you don't know what love for a woman truly is until you've witnessed her endure nine months of misery and hours of excruciating pain to bring new life into the world. Not just any new life but a life that your love has created. I may not stand up and proclaim to the world, "I love this woman!" like that annoying diamond commercial on TV but whenever I see her traits or resemblance in our children the love I have is immeasurable and unspoken!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 08:03 am   Permalink

Quite the opposite. One of the reason I find her to be perfect is the fact that she doesn't get the whole need to breed thing either. I get all the satisfaction I need from her. Sappy? SURE! True? Yup!

I have no desire to watch the nine months thing take its toll on her.

For some people having a kid is the ultimate. But not for us. Just as body modification is for some people. But I don't get that either. If it floats yer boat, great.

But we have encountered the usual counter points of;
A) We must be crazy not to want to have kids.
B) We're Just being selfish. ( this one I find particularly offensive )
C)"But you'd make such great parents". Glad to know it, but thats not a strong enough argument for me to subvert who I am. I won't live my life to appease other peoples desires.
D) "You can't truly be happy unless you have children, you're lying to yourself."

I loved it when my wife came home from going to Disneyland. Her friend had lugged her baby around all day.
First words out of my wife's mouth; "NO WAY IN HELL!"

And you question my reasoning! Well maybe you don't question it that harshly, but damn if I didn't know I had met the right woman those 15 years ago.

And I hate diamond commercials.

AND if having an unsatisfying careers is the reason ( as proposed bay said DJ ) people have kids... I should have about 20 by now. I push crates around all day and deal with people who slack off to pad their day and avoid work. I load air sea containers in 100 degree weather. I have a boss whos reasoning faculties are compromised and who has all the spine of a slinky. I deal with truckers who feel no compunction about voicing their opinions about anyone who isn't white or a member of a hate group. My job gave me smashed toe which has changed my stride enough that my toe on the other foots is getting a bone spur on it which makes life after a long day on my feet unbearable. The sensation I get when I go into work could be summed up by quoting Marvin The Paranoid Android;" Oh great....Mind Taxing time again...."

So I'd say the DJ's reasoning is off the mark.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 08:24 am   Permalink

TG - I can respect your views and you stated them eloquently but your initial post came off sounding a little self-righteous and that prompted my mean-spirited remarks. I hate to use the old standby, "We can agree to disagree," but it sizes it all up pretty succinctly.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 08:42 am   Permalink

S'all good son! I take no offense at anything you wrote. I understand the tone and intention of your post perfectly well. Actually if there was anyhting mean spirited in it, I didn't catch it.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 09:06 am   Permalink

Oh good, then I didn't come off sounding as much like an asshole as I feared!

TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 12:06 pm   Permalink

The text was kind to ya this time. Ahhh the wonders of text communication and the merry hijinks that can ensue...

Oh, I did just think that the sappiness of my statements about my wife could be used as a yardstick to how some of us feel when people go off the deep end about their kids.

That said, I think we'd all agree that putting up with sappy statements about wives and children is much easier on the mind than a bawling spoiled child in a public setting.

Don't even get me started on kids in airplanes!

mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-07-29 2:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-26 17:21, Jungle Trader wrote:
Does Mr. Smiley have an unsatisfying career?

the auto parts business is quite fulfilling, thank you!
I keep trying for kids, but they always scream and run away from me in the park when I try to grab 'em!!!

Kidding!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MTKahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 4:18 pm   Permalink

You should definately love both...

View Profile of MTKahuna Send a personal message to MTKahuna  Email MTKahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 9:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-29 06:47, tikifish wrote:
...But because we are human we like to add all sorts of interesing altruistic notions to this basic biological fact to try and fool ourselves that we are not just mammals like the rest of them!

Eee-ee-ee

Off to eat a banana

tikifish likes bananas

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 9:57 pm   Permalink

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:51 pm   Permalink

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-07-31 7:50 pm   Permalink

Unless you have children (that you love), you really can have no opinion as to whether or not children are a good or bad thing.

Just as a man cannot completely say "being a man is better tha n being a woman", someone who has never had children of their own cannot really say "having no children is better that having them". You really do not know.

You may try to infer something like, "oh, these brats were screaming in the restaurant, and I never want to have kids", or you may rationalize that love for children is some sort of biological instinct, but what you don't experience is the joy and wonder and love when they respond to you in day to day life.

What stikes down the 'biological' argument for procreation is this, I'd give my life if it were to save my children. One needs only to look at the holocaust for example.

Fit that into your into your childless life of driving to expensive restaurants in you BMW...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 8:18 pm   Permalink

Mid Life Crisis.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-31 19:50, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Fit that into your into your childless life of driving to expensive restaurants in you BMW...

HAH!!! Like I have enough money for one!

And I trust my instincts on the children thing.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation