[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Procuring Havana Club
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Procuring Havana Club
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-20 10:49 am   Permalink

Mind you, more than just a little more on EBay.....was $8-20 a bottle in Tijuana (depending on whether it was Blanco, or the 3, 5 or 7 year version)..... No hassles on the way home - even when they scanned our backpacks - they're just looking for terrorist stuff when they scan them - not for extra or "illegal" booze......

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 10:52 am   Permalink

ebay? surely this is a joke... you arent even allowed to sell alcohol on ebay, much less cuban rum.

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nomeus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:05 am   Permalink

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4488.aspx

http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/havana-club-rum/

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/spirits/havana_club_rum_anejo_7_year_old_700ml.html

looks like its going to run about $75 with shipping

View Profile of nomeus Send a personal message to nomeus  Goto the website of nomeus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:28 am   Permalink

Got mine from Masters of Malt - still have some 15 year old left. Its hard to believe I've gone through as much as I have because I certainly won't be reordering it any time soon.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:39 am   Permalink

I brought some back from Jamaica this summer and it was no problem. It is a good rum, but if I have to decide between $75 delivered and $22 crossing south, I will take Mexico at $22 for the 7 year.

Generally bringing any booze over the border is no big deal. They put it in a brown bag when you purchase it. At the border check they ask if you are bringing anything home. Just say a bottle of booze or tequila or rum. They are not going to look at what kind it is. I used to do this with Absinthe before we could get it in the US. Only 1 per person though out of Mexico.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-03 11:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-03 10:52, nomeus wrote:
ebay? surely this is a joke... you arent even allowed to sell alcohol on ebay, much less cuban rum.

They get around this by selling the "bottle" and not the "contents of the bottle" so it is not selling booze on ebay which is illegal it is selling a rum bottle that just happens to be full. I HAVE purchased rum off of ebay (Dagger Dark in an airplane bottle for example) with good results. I have enough empty bottles of rum, so I have no interest unless it is still sealed.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poutineki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-12-08 12:54 pm   Permalink

I just stroll over to the liquor store about 3 minutes walk from my house and buy it... but I'm in Canada. I can get the anejo blanco, anejo reserva and 7 year at the local store. To get their higher end stuff, I have to drive to a store about 4 hours away. The blanco is the main one of interest to me because, in my opinion, it's by far the best white rum available in Ontario. I don't even have any of the others in my cabinet at the moment.

View Profile of poutineki Send a personal message to poutineki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-08 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-03 10:52, nomeus wrote:

You used to be able to buy a full bottle unopened of Havana Club for the
collectable bottle that just so happened to be full of rum.
I did it all of the time, then some ebay bitch cop type musta ended that cuz
you can't find it anymore.

People suck.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-08 5:08 pm   Permalink

A couple news outlets ran stings on eBay with kids buying booze, so they were forced to stop evading the law. You won't find any alcohol on there any longer. There's still plenty of private selling going on, just not as open as it was. I've sold collectible bourbons privately, and I imagine there are rum groups as well. While still technically illegal (in the U.S), I don't think there's much risk in the occasional small transaction.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation