FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Big Woo Bar - progress report (New pics 12-22-05)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Big Woo Bar - progress report (New pics 12-22-05)
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-28 2:02 pm   Permalink

Hello, All!

I have finally gotten around to taking some simple pictures of our newly renovated backyard. I know there are old pictures of what the place looked like before around here someplace, but since I am in full Tiki-Mode as of late, I have no idea where to look for them!

The landscaping is coming right along as is the lighting. Tikis and jungle animals are in place. I suppose we are going more for an Adventureland feel since my son (as well as myself) are huge fans of that particular 'land!

There are still some odd items laying about as it really is a work in progress.

** I will add some night shots later on this evening. Bar construction shots will be added during the course of next week!

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-01 12:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-04 19:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-10 11:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-22 23:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-08-29 01:46 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2005-12-22 13:03 ]

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-28 4:02 pm   Permalink

Looking good....looking good!!!

Can't wait to see it in person.

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-28 7:11 pm   Permalink

looks like its coming along well. it has what every tiki back yard needs, and that is tropical creatures and tiki statues.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:23 pm   Permalink

Okay .. a lil update.. some more shots of the walls and surrounding areas. The nights shots didn't turn out at all.. so I'm going to try again this evening. I keep missing the "dusk" lighting and my camera doesn't like night shots it would seem.

The future site of the Big Woo Bar 'n Grill!

The walls will come together in three stages....

After the base coat comes the tape...and a second color

The final product.. minus the thatching yet to paint near the roofline...

Another side of the yard.. our under-the-sea wall... Mom and my lil guy did the work here!

More to come as we move along!!

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:37 pm   Permalink

you did that bamboo wall... with paint & masking tape? it looks spectacular, with a LOT less splinters than the real deal!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:57 pm   Permalink

What an amazing use of paint and tape. Very creative!!! Can't wait...getting closer!!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 7:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the replies ! It's amazing how it all comes together slowly but surely. A room full of tiki stuff just doesn't do it for me. I need my bar up so I can stuff it full!

Octane - Yes we definitely were going for the exotic look. More of a ...Jungle Cruise meets Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom meets The Tiki Room.

dogbytes - Thanks!! It does take a lot longer than cutting bamboo would, but the results are really what I wanted all along! I just kinda tried it out on a small spot and said hey this is IT!! Now I can't stop myself. Whole house may end up this way if I have the time!

Moki - Thanks for all your support and inspiration! Ric's as well! Talk about creative! Whew! The taping is tough on the fingertips over the stucco. Fingertips are callused now haha! Can't wait to have you both here!

TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 7:53 pm   Permalink

Okay just a couple more pics for an update.

Thankfully I finished the bamboo behind the bar BEFORE construction...

Still have more to do though.... it's a good size wall..

The basic structure is up. Nice and substantial to avoid any bar collapse-mishaps, I hope

The roofing and the bar itself will be completed next week.

And one night shot that didn't turn out too bad.

Thanks for looking!

Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 8:21 pm   Permalink

Brave woman you are to be working so high on a ladder to reach the top of that wall. You are following the directions on the top step that says "This is NOT a step" right!!?? Ric always seems to have trouble with that one

The framing looks great too. Update us again soon....

flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 2:10 pm   Permalink

Great creativity..... if were to paint the bamboo again and knew the project ... would you do it. i started a project like that one and swore not again. But yours looks great and you seem to be doing more and more.

Really like your work.

-----------------------------------------------

www.PalmCityTiki.com

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 6:42 pm   Permalink

Your work is great. Looks like it is going to be fun!

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 9:54 pm   Permalink

Moki - Thanks again! ..and yes, I am verrrrrrrrrrrry mindful of that "this is NOT a step" rule on that ladder. I'd actually like to NOT be in traction for the party so I am trying to be ever-so-careful up!

flacookz - I would definitely do the project again. It's rough on the fingertips and the ladder work is a lil scary, but the results are so worth the efforts for me. I had intended on just one wall, where the bar was to be, but it's like real bamboo.. it's spreading everywhere now. Just can't stop myself haha! Compliments on my work, considering the amazing things you've done with carvings, is high praise indeed. Thank you.

Thanatos - Thank you! I am sure when it's all completed, things will settle into a nice relaxed Aloha feel and it will be a blast! Love to have you make it out!...if you can stand the flight/drive hehehe Just took a peek at your carvings. WOW! The Pirate Grotto?? Just.. wow!

PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 9:57 pm   Permalink

Very nice work. I don't even need to fly, or drive too far!! Let us know! We'll come help ya break it in proper!

Pops+

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 12:21 am   Permalink

Created some flicker flame tiki torches this afternoon.

Using electric candlesticks, a hacksaw and my trusty hot glue gun.

Made about 8 today. Hoping to finish the other 6 tomorrow after some serious bamboo painting.

TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 12:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-05 21:57, PapeToaTane wrote:
Very nice work. I don't even need to fly, or drive too far!! Let us know! We'll come help ya break it in proper!

Pops+

PapeToaTane,

Thank you kindly! We'd absolutely love to have you! Here's the link for the event:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=15823&forum=4&4
...and I'll send you more details in a private message!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation