FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki New Tiki (formerly - Tiki Lau), Westford, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
New Tiki (formerly - Tiki Lau), Westford, MA (restaurant)
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 5:21 pm   Permalink

Name:New Tiki
Type:restaurant
Street:Littleton Road
City:Westford
State:MA
Zip:01886
Phone:978-692-2355

Description:
It pays to turn your friends onto tiki! Kathleen and I spent a long weekend in Hampton Beach, NH to see our favorite comedian Brian Regan, and to enjoy the sand & surf. A friend and old neighbor of ours had recently moved to Massachusetts, and he lives and works on the way. We decided to visit him on our return from the beach.

We met up with our friend Tim at his workplace, and from there we went for coffee. He mentions to me on the ride that he wants to show me the tiki restaurant he told me about. I didn't recall him telling me this, so I said I must have had a few mai tais when he told me.

The place was closed as we pulled in, as it was only 10 a.m. at the time. So we went to get coffee, and came back at 11:30 when they opened for lunch.

For those of you breaking out your Tiki Roadtrip tomes at this point, it's listed under "sites permanently closed." Rest assured, it is very open. Naturally, I was excited to come across an undiscovered and up to this point declared dead tiki establishment.

So here are the pics. This is the sign that is visible from the road:

And this is the side of the building:

And here's the grand moai above the entrance:

He looks like he has a bad case of eczema on his forehead. Also looks like his eyes light up, but it was too early to tell.

As you enter, a carved palmwood tiki greets you on the left, and a very anemic fish pond with sad turtles on the right. Here's the tiki:

I didn't bother taking a picture of the fish pond.

Needless to say, we were the only ones in the place at 11:30 in the morning, other than the staff. We were seated by what I assume was the manager/owner, who we never saw again. Our waitress was nice enough, although she seemed to be distracted by other concerns, like, "Did I leave the stove on at home?"

Kathleen ordered a Pina Colada, I ordered a Suffering Bastard, and our friend Timmy had water (he don't drink). We asked the waitress if the drinks came in tiki mugs as pictured in the menu, but she replied that all those mugs had been stolen years ago.

The waitress returned with our drinks, which were actually fairly good. She also brought us the prefunctory appetizers, but with a bit of a twist. In the next pic, you can see the tea, duck sauce, and hot mustard, yet the fried noodles must have been on backorder, since we received:

Yes, that's french bread. I could only assume they were trying for the French Polynesian connection there.

Luckily, our meals were a bit better, standard, yet good, chinese cuisine. There are only six items on the menu listed as Polynesian, and even those are a bit of a stretch.

So overall, not a tiki mecca, but a nice surprise if you're not expecting it, or worth it if you're in the area and want a quick tiki fix.

As we were leaving the place, our friend peeked through the glass of the door next to the entrance tiki, and said "So that's where the locals gather!" I peeked in to see a bar, and a few tiki masks on the wall. It was quite dark, and there was a rather huge patron perched on one of the bar stools, so I didn't bother to venture in. I'll leave that for the next brave tikiphile that wants to explore and document this off-the-beaten-path establishment.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2007-03-15 04:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2012-02-24 11:46 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 5:50 pm   Permalink

Hooray! Thanks, TikiGreg.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 6:00 pm   Permalink

I thought a Worchester County tikiphile might be interested.I picked up a matchbook that lists an address on Rte 110 on Macy in Amesbury, so you can give us a report on that if you can.

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:17 pm   Permalink

Tikigreg:

I Hadn't thought about it in a long time, but I grew up in SE Mass., and all the Chinese/Polynesian restaurants there always gave some sort of bread and butter. Didn't seem that strange at the time, but it does look funny, now that you point it out.

My Dad always used to dip his bread in the Duck sauce!!

Aloha.

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:48 pm   Permalink

Very cool. Thanks for posting this tikigreg.

I live just over the border in Nashua, NH (grew up in Lowell, MA) and I can't believe I've never noticed that!

I'll be sure to check it out.

Thanks again.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-29 11:03 pm   Permalink

nice find!! did they serve "ambrosia" the flaming sweet & sour dish?

i miss that, after our new england travels ~ must be a regional "polynesian" favorite, we cant find it anywhere else.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 04:44 am   Permalink

Quote:
did they serve "ambrosia" the flaming sweet & sour dish?

dogbytes,

I didn't notice it on the regular menu, and the take out menu doesn't have it. If anyone else visits, maybe we can get a report on that too!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 07:56 am   Permalink

Hey, I just remembered this place and it's still open! The Makaha in Acton, MA. Anybody in the area been there? I haven't been there since about 1993 but I just checked and they're open yet.

Maybe this should have its own thread...

Read unflattering review here:
http://www.gweep.net/~rocko/Stow/

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 07:58 am   Permalink

P.S. Check on the Massachusetts French Bread Connection. Very common here.

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 10:09 am   Permalink

Pappy,
Thanks for the tip on the Makaha. I've a sister in Acton and will check it out this fall. Luckily, my "inner snob" is buried wicked deep.

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikisgrl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 6:44 pm   Permalink

Hi all,

Either we are neighbors or we are pretty close to each other. You failed to mention in your posts if there were Tiki Mugs to be bought or acquired through any means necessary at either of these local establishments?

Just asking, obviously the food is not the main attraction at these restaurants.

Beth

Just a quick P.S. Saugus Kowloon is still selling Tiki's with their name on them. I got a couple of pineapples last week.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikisgrl 2005-08-08 18:47 ]

View Profile of Tikisgrl Send a personal message to Tikisgrl  Email Tikisgrl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-30 03:20 am   Permalink

I went there a couple weeks ago with a buddy. We each got Zombies which were passable and served in a chimney glass. Food was tolerable and yes, you still get Italian bread. I'm afraid this place is in a death spiral. It should have been full on a weekend and we were the only ones in there eating. There were 6-8 people in the bar. The front Moai shown in Tikigreg's pic is even more in need of new paint than ever and the front is looking pretty shabby. If you owned a restaurant, wouldn't the first order of business every day be to sweep the trash out from the front of the place? *sigh*

tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 04:40 am   Permalink

Bump

Now that there's new ownership of the former Tiki Lau, I thought it would be good to bump this up. The NE Ohana has a trip planned there soon, so hopefully someone will post a glowing review here.

PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 3:54 pm   Permalink

Wow...I almost forgot about this place. (note: my family and I call it "Tiki Lousy", as OUR food was not tolerable...I thought it was ok). If you have ever driven past it at night, from what I remember, the Moai on the front, his eyes glow however only one eye works. I can't believe i forgot about this site, I only live like 2 towns over. Go figure. I'll be looking forward to the new review!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 4:43 pm   Permalink

Thier myspace page advertises sports games 'always' on tv, karaoke from 9:30 to close three nights a week, and live music starting in April. Unless they're bringing Waitiki over from Boston, none of this bodes well.
Then again, they also mention improved drinks...

Anyone been to the New Tiki yet?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation