advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My first attempt
My first attempt
Chairman Kaga

Posted: 2005-07-29 10:39 pm   Permalink

Hi all. I have been lurking around here and there for a while now and I finally finished my first carving. Just wanted to post it to get some feedback. Feel free to offer any critique what so ever....
Thanks in advance

View Profile of Chairman Kaga Send a personal message to Chairman Kaga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 02:24 am   Permalink

Pretty damn cool for a first attempt! The black highlights really, er, highlight the features. Very cool stuff.

Welcome to TC! Apparently you have taken on board plenty whilst lurking around. I thought i was being watched. Part of me reckons you should try and have a go at more detail, part of reckons the wood grain and stain is sweet and simple as it is.

Again, very nice.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 06:04 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC ChairmanKaga and a Very nice first tiki. It is very advanced for being the first. Cute expression, like "who me? I didn't take the chocolate bar!"
Don't stop now.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 06:13 am   Permalink

I like the last pic where he is peeping out from the foliage. Very mischievous!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 06:59 am   Permalink

Really nice first effort. It will be fun to see what you do next.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 11:47 am   Permalink

Very nice tiki, Kaga. Yes, he is mischievious-looking with that grin. Thanks for posting.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-30 9:29 pm   Permalink

Chairman-K,

He's got a nutty look in his eyes. I've always liked crazy looking tikis. What's next? We'd all love to see lots more tiki pix from you here on the board!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-31 3:15 pm   Permalink

welcome.excellent ferst tiki.keep up the good work.

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 3:29 pm   Permalink

Chairman K,

Good job! He has a great look on his face. What type of wood/tools did you use?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chairman Kaga

Posted: 2005-07-31 8:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone.
To answer some questions it's palm though I am not sure which type. We recently cut down a large palm in our front yard that could pose a threat during a hurricane or large storm. It was about 30' tall or so so I ended up with some 2-3' lengths (above). I am borrowing some gouges and chisels from a friend. They were her fathers but she does not use them and has graciously allowed me to borrow them (I could post a pic because I am not sure of their sizes/gouges etc). I actually burned the darkened sections with a Bernz-o-matic torch and then sealed the whole thing with a couple coats of polyurethane though I may still add one more coat to ensure it lasts for a while...

[ This Message was edited by: Chairman Kaga 2005-07-31 20:16 ]

View Profile of Chairman Kaga Send a personal message to Chairman Kaga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitots

Posted: 2005-08-01 12:35 pm   Permalink

Chairman Kaga, that looks great. I started carving about 3 years ago, and it is even better then some I have made! Keep it up. I have been selling mine at a flea market where I also sell my tiki kids clothing line. I get between $75-$100 for them depending on size. And it is great therapy!

View Profile of Tikitots Send a personal message to Tikitots  Email Tikitots     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 08:25 am   Permalink

Alez Tiki! I like the patterning of the eyes, almost like a tattoo, I'd love to see more detailed pictures of how the eyes were carved & burnt.

[ This Message was edited by: freddiefreelance 2005-08-02 08:39 ]

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation