FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Creating Tiki Ľ Ľ Tiki Carving Ľ Ľ SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 8:38 pm   Permalink

It was not completely finished in these pictures, but there was really very little left to do; trim the bottom flat and level and do the same for the top with a slight slope to the rear, which Iíve now done. And it still needs some kind of stain and finish. (Needs some kind of hair, too. Any ideas?)

This was a real challenge for me. Having been a photographer for about 25 years now, visualizing things in 3-D was something new! Iíve NEVER done anything like this, and it was FUN! (I may be hooked!)

The first two I carved were small (made from would-be firewood), and pretty awful, but not so bad that I thought I couldnít do better. So why not try a big one?! (Itís just shy of 5 feet tall.)

The design idea came from The Islands Menu in BOT. Itís an interesting design but still something I thought I could do. I like the long, stretched out look of it; thought it would fit my log fairly well, too.

The wood is a Hackberry limb from a split-trunk tree in the neighborhood. Itís reputed to carve well and I canít disagree. I did all the work with standard carpentry chisels and using a miter saw only for the mouth. Striped the bark with a 100+ year-old drawn knife. Took about two weeks to complete working only a couple hours a day. I used two large, but short, trunk sections as ďsawhorsesĒ to make things easier (a tip I learned reading this forum).

Thanks for all the tips from everybody here! Iíve learned a lot, and have LOT to learn. Any suggestions for improvment would be GREATLY appreciated!

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2007-03-06 11:14 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-31 8:46 pm   Permalink

Cool! Needs an Afro Wig!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 06:38 am   Permalink

Nice job! That looks awesome.I never heard of hackberry but it looks good and smooth, kind of like crepe myrtle.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 5:45 pm   Permalink

Looks GREAT!!!
And as for Suggestions?.........I suggest that since you are now bitten by the carving bug that you get in your boat and drive across town and visit us so that we can meet and share tips and techniques etc. That should be fun. PM us.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-01 6:17 pm   Permalink

cool! Thats a cool looking tiki and i dont think i have seen that style before. cant wait to see more

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 08:25 am   Permalink

Nice Job! It will look great decorating any tiki spot.

I would suggest that you spread the design to wrap around the log next time so that it will look good from all angles.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 8:57 pm   Permalink

Here's an update on #3 and a new #4. Stained and varnished the big guy and started on the little one about a week ago. The small one is from a pile of free firewood, so I have no idea what the wood is. It was a bit "punky" and hard to carve, so it looks rougher than I'd like, but what the heck. Still need to find some better tools.

So long as they keep getting better, I'll keep trying.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:18 pm   Permalink

Beautiful!! Love 'em both!!

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:39 pm   Permalink

That tall guy is way too cool! and a vintage design yet from an old menu... You nailed it.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 05:26 am   Permalink

nice effort on boff of em....especially like the big one...
keep it up.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 05:38 am   Permalink

Very interesting style Silverline. Very refreshing and diffrent, I love it. If you haven't yet, go through the "Tools Carvers Use" thread. There is great info there about tools.
Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 9:52 pm   Permalink

That lil one is cool too. Nice work

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 8:07 pm   Permalink

Here's my attempted copy of the tiki in the very first photo in BOT, the "protagonist." I just gave this guy to my brother for his birthday. Three coats of marine varnish make him a bit glossy, but I have no idea what my brother plans to do with it.

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2005-10-13 20:12 ]

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-13 8:48 pm   Permalink

Well done Brad. You did fine work considering you only had a partial picture as your model. What type of wood and how tall is it? Before you give it to your Bro, get your picture taken with it and post here. Oh, and let's get together and share some ideas soon.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-14 05:36 am   Permalink

excellent job!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation