FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 8:51 pm   Permalink

Silverline, this last one is really Nice, except for the mold. You need to dry it out before you put any finish on it. You can leave it out in the baking sun a few days. You can carefully heat it with a torch and after it is dry, sand the mold off. once you have it clean you can spray it down with a light mixture of bleach and water, say i part bleach and6 parts water. thoroughly soak it and then let it dry again and then you Should be able to stain and varnish him.Looks nice.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-01 10:28 pm   Permalink

Hey buddy, lookin' good. I say lose the mold before doing anything else. Ben has it right. You gotta get it dry first and if that means bringin' it inside for a few days when it's raining, do it. Is it molding because it is green wood or is it all due to the wet weather? If you just have to leave a carving outside during the rainy times, get a good platic tarp and wrap it up good then secure with bungee cords. I have found this to work perfectly. He will be mighty nice at your cabin when completed.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 07:06 am   Permalink

Sweet Tang. Love it. Very sharp detail.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-02 2:21 pm   Permalink

Hey man! Great stuff! You've been very busy haven't you! I really like the moldy one. Also especially newtinytiki04.jpg - very nice! What kind of wood is that?

Watch out for those Foredom Burrs (The "Red Typhoon" is nasty if/when it gets out of control).

It's better now but it sure bled a lot with stringy skin hangin off it.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 11:17 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-02 4:09 pm   Permalink

YIPES! Tikigap, those burs are for WOOD! I'm sure they make a similar tool for surgeons if that's what you're needing! Newtinytiki was done in (everybody's favorite) walnut.

OK Ben/8ft, a-sandin' I will go. And it's indoors for him for the rest of the rainy week.

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-02 4:14 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-02 16:09, SilverLine wrote:
Newtinytiki was done in (everybody's favorite) walnut.

I thought so! I love that stuff...

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 4:05 pm   Permalink

Finally! That mold was a B!TCH! Don't let mold happen to you! One side effect was, it weakened the outer layers of the Maple making fine detail a job for the glue. No fun. But it's about 95% sanded off, stained and spar-urethaned, and now taking up residence on the porch of our lake house. Hopefully now I'll catch more fish!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 4:11 pm   Permalink

Silverline,

Mold or no mold, this guy looks great! Good job finishing him up. Too bad about the mold. I have to really watch it with the humidity here. Mold grows on everything and I am very allergic to it. I hope he holds together for you and doesn't continue to deteriorate. Now go catch some fish!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 4:44 pm   Permalink

Nice job Silverliner. Looks like you got rid of the mold pretty well. Now you have to do another one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 7:26 pm   Permalink

congrats to another coontiki graduate...super work Silverline. He'd make any carver proud.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 9:19 pm   Permalink

AHHH YESSS! It was worth the wait to see it finished. Sweet job. What's next?

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-30 09:20 am   Permalink

Wowsa! That came back very nicely! That dog looks very realistic, too! Nice job!

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 12:41 pm   Permalink

You dealt with the mold well, you can't even tell. Don't fish too much, you need to carve more.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 11:39 am   Permalink

He turned out beautiful - he looks like he's got a lot of attitude.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-06 06:08 am   Permalink

man silverline that turned out good! it just looks amazing. good job on getting rid of that mold. good luck in future tiki.

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation