FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
SilverLine's latest attempt - in OAK! (March 6, page 6)
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 07:46 am   Permalink

My latest attempt; a pine Moai. I did this one for my step-mom who wanted something she could put out in her garden, so I went with a large design that could be recognized from a distance. It's about 38 inches tall. It's kinda crude, but effective, I think. I hope she likes it.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 08:06 am   Permalink

Holy Moai Silver!!! Nice nice. Someone's gonna be happy. Specially around easter!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 11:09 am   Permalink

Yeah, I dig the thick grain on 'em. He'll keep the spirits away!
Any idea what kind of pine it might be?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 11:14 am   Permalink

Maoi are just the coolest, they don't need all the angry faces and stances to make a statement. Just one cool look that someone thousands of years ago got just right.
Good job Silver.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 12:05 pm   Permalink

Definitely Way Cool. It is Really a Maoi and very visible, like you said. Excellent job and the Wood is Perfect for the bold design. You're step-mom is a Lucky Lady!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 6:53 pm   Permalink

It has a primitive look that fits a Moai very well...has a bit of a Witco look to me as
well...nice work Silverline.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 9:59 pm   Permalink

I saw this carving in person the other day and it really is cool. He turned a big ol' hunk o pine into a good looking idol don'tcha think!!( I also got to see Silverline's winter carving retreat space he just prepared and I am jealous that he is going to get to carve indoors while I will be shivering out in the cold. BRRRR

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 8:20 pm   Permalink

As a lark I entered a couple of my carvings into a local juryed art show. I didn't think I'd get selected to be shown with the "highbrow" artists this event attracts, but I was WRONG! They accepted my Catalpa Marq! The opening was tonight. Here are a couple shots of the venue. It's a three month traveling show. Perty cool fer a midwestern tiki-phile/carver!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 8:55 pm   Permalink

Well DUH! Look at this Carving you entered, That is one Really Awesome TIKI. The Color is Perfect and it looks like you must have made him a complete Christian, you sanded the Hell out of him. The Detail Is Crisp and Sharp. Good to see you posting work again...

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 9:45 pm   Permalink

I knew you said this was coming up and I was just wondering the other day if it was going on yet. Glad to see that they do have some good taste here after all!! Thanks for the pics of the event. How is the big oak carving coming ???

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-03 11:23 pm   Permalink

Congrats! That's a good looking tiki carving. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 11:46 pm   Permalink

Way to Go Silverline! Congradulations! Very well done Marq! And no doubt that you were chosen!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-03 11:57 pm   Permalink

Ditto what others have said. This is a wonderful piece & would be a great addition to any collection (I wont even begin to imagine what it would cost to send over here!). Is it kosha to ask what sort of price you have him? Unfortunately Im not asking as a serious purchaser but genuinely interested as a fellow artist as someone with involvement in the running of a local gallery. (please PM if you'd rather)
The other work in the exhibition seems of very high calibre (as is your own) & I am trying to gauge a comparison with Contemporary Maori woodcaving in NZ.

Cheers
Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-03 23:57, Tamapoutini wrote:
Is it kosha to ask what sort of price you have him? Unfortunately Im not asking as a serious purchaser but genuinely interested as a fellow artist as someone with involvement in the running of a local gallery.

Sorry Tamapoutini, I can't help you there. This one is not for sale; my wife likes it too much (and so do I). And if it were for sale, I really don't have any idea what it might go for here.

squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 8:45 pm   Permalink

Nice job Silverline! She's a beaut!
REPRESENT KC!!!! WOOOOOOO!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation