FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Trader Vic's Passion Fruit Syrup Discontinued?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Trader Vic's Passion Fruit Syrup Discontinued?
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 09:36 am   Permalink

I said it before and I'll say it again...

Make your own.

everyone here is so anal about fresh limes and the like, why should passion fruit be any different?

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 09:42 am   Permalink

Testify, FZ!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 11:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-07 08:10, professahhummingflowah wrote:
I just received in the mail two 10 oz. bottles of Hawaiian lilikoi (lilikoi = Hawaiian passion fruit) syrup from the Big Island's Love Family Farms. Looks pretty good. Even still get seeds inside. We'll report from the field later. Also, my mom is sending me a bottle of lilikoi syrup from Aunty Lilikoi's place on Kaua'i. (Funny thing, aunty lilikoi is actually my calabash aunty). Then I read an interview of Kern Mattei on cocktail.com, and it says the Mai Kai uses Kui-Kui brand lilikoi syrup from Hawaii when they can't make it themselves. I guess I'll ask mom to buy that one too and send it to our mailing room at Okonkuluku University.

I feel like I am becoming a collector (and connoisseur) of lilikoi syrups! How weird!

Right on! I love Aunty Lilikoi, you'll love it too--they make it with fresh, ripe passion fruit picked right there on Kauai; nothing but that and sugar. Try it once and you understand immediately that you could never even come close with a homemade syrup made with canned juice. It's even got lumps! My suggestion is the Demerara Dry Float made with Aunty Lilikoi--it really comes to life.

I've tried the Kukui brand as well, it's pretty good too. Like Aunty's stuff, it has an intense fresh passion fruit flavor and the natural tartness of the passion fruit. Way better than Vic's (and I like Vic's).

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-07 11:18, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:

you could never even come close with a homemade syrup made with canned juice.

who said anything about canned?

fruit markets, man, fruit markets!

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 11:53 am   Permalink

I just bought three bottles from TV.
They now come in a liter bottle instead of the 750ml .

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-07 12:49 pm   Permalink

I'm all about making my own syrups, but haven't been able to lay my hands on any passionfruit here in B.F. Egypt. Maybe next time I'm in NYC...

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-28 2:11 pm   Permalink

I just ordered 2 bottles of passionfruit syrup from TV, only to discover too late that they changed the recipe. The bottles arrived yesterday, and the new syrup is absolutely vile. It's completely unusable except to make orange sno-cones or something. Needless to say, I was pissed at having wasted all that money, and shot off a nasty e-mail to the TV store. I just can't understand why they decided to completely reformulate a decent product and make it terrible.

I'd love to make my own syrup, but I've scoured the local Mexican and Asian food stores, and the only thing I could find was some sort of passionfruit soda pop that contains no actual juice.

On the advice of the Bum, I ordered a couple of bottles of the Finest Call Passionfruit Puree today, and will see how that works out.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2008-11-28 14:12 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-28 6:47 pm   Permalink

Goya Passion Fruit Pulp - Heat, Reduce, Filter through cheese cloth, mix with simple syrup, add a little vodka to stabilize it - done.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-28 7:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-28 18:47, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Goya Passion Fruit Pulp - Heat, Reduce, Filter through cheese cloth, mix with simple syrup, add a little vodka to stabilize it - done.

None of the stores around here carry it.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Have you tried the bigger Mexican markets?

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 3:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-08 14:57, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Quote:

Have you tried the bigger Mexican markets?

Yup, we've got a fairly large supermercado, and they've got all the Goya products...EXCEPT...passionfruit.

I just received my order from Finest Call and it's excellent, made with real passionfruit pulp, so I'm a happy camper again.

The TV syrup is going into the toilet.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 3:25 pm   Permalink

Same here...no mas passionfruit. Unfortunately, I am in need of a lot of it. I'll try the Finest Call as well. Thanks.

Edit: I just saw on FC's website that their puree is only 13% passionfruit. Aaargh! Where is Super GoyaMan?

[ This Message was edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2008-12-08 15:27 ]

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-08 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-08 15:25, jingleheimerschmidt wrote:
Same here...no mas passionfruit. Unfortunately, I am in need of a lot of it. I'll try the Finest Call as well. Thanks.

Edit: I just saw on FC's website that their puree is only 13% passionfruit. Aaargh! Where is Super GoyaMan?

That's actually more than Trader Vic's original recipe, which was 11%.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-21 06:53 am   Permalink

I was in a Walmart Supercenter last week and in the freezer section was passion fruit syrup pulp, along with pulps from a couple of other fruits. I don't remember the brand off-hand, but the size of the package was the same as what I purchased at a local hispanic market.

The products Walmart carries can vary from store to store, but it's worth a shot.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-21 08:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-21 06:53, Hot Lava wrote:
I was in a Walmart Supercenter last week and in the freezer section was passion fruit syrup pulp, along with pulps from a couple of other fruits. I don't remember the brand off-hand, but the size of the package was the same as what I purchased at a local hispanic market.

The products Walmart carries can vary from store to store, but it's worth a shot.

Shortly after I received my bottles of Finest Call, I went back to my local Supermercado and found Goya Passionfruit pulp buried in the freezer section behind a bunch of other stuff. It's now sitting in my fridge awaiting the day when my FC runs out.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation