[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Need Help from Florida Tiki Central Members
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Need Help from Florida Tiki Central Members
joefla70
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 10:56 am   Permalink

Curt,

Another thing to think about is whether you want a house with some acerage on it or if you would rather have a condo or a house with a "zero-lot-line." I don't know if you have those out in Seattle, but down here in South Florida land is so scarce that so many homes are now being built on tiny lots that have small yards and very little space between you and your next door neighbor. I was just recently up in the Jacksonville/St. Augustine area and there is lots of land still undeveloped. The development I visited was a horse community where there were very nice homes that had stables and 5 acres of land for each house. You won't find anything like that in South Florida.

View Profile of joefla70 Send a personal message to joefla70  Email joefla70     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 1:42 pm   Permalink

Florida is the next California as far as real estate prices go. Values are just going to go higher as boomers retire and move here from points north, in my humble opinion.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-03 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-02 18:16, mahalomo wrote:
Curt - I have your answer...

Indeed, I think you may!

Thanks for this information, Mahalomo. Dunedin sounds like it has much of what we are looking for and my research so far has turned up nothing but positive things about the place, not to mention some great photos of the area and its beautiful beaches. (It may interest everyone to know that I posted an almost identical request for information on another message board in Florida. There, the people have recommended Dunedin as the number one place I should check out, with St. Pete and Sarasota taking second and third).

I also appreciate your emails in answer to my many questions.

And thanks again to everyone who has given me their opinion so far; all have been a huge help!

So far, it looks like Florida's west coast is winning me over . . .

Sailor Curt
Edited to correct poor grammer!

[ This Message was edited by: Sailor Curt 2005-08-03 16:13 ]

View Profile of Sailor Curt Send a personal message to Sailor Curt  Email Sailor Curt Goto the website of Sailor Curt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 11:56 am   Permalink

If you like Dunedin, you may also want to check out Gulfport too.

It's a little south of St. Pete and has kind of a funky vibe to it -- still a little rough around the edges. But it's close to the water, beaches, and has a nutty little downtown with some nice restaurants and shops and a little performing arts center.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 12:15 pm   Permalink

I like Gulfport.

I would have mentioned Dunedin except for the fact that you wanted a progressive music scene - which Dunedin does not have, imo.

St. Pete has a lot of museums, venues for artists of all kinds, lots of outdoor festivals, a mediocre to crappy baseball team. Dunedin is a pretty good drive to St. Pete or anywhere else, really, down the infamous US19 - which consistently ranks within the top 3 in traffic accidents in the US.

Gulfport is a sort-of suburb of St. Pete and is a pretty laid back kind of scene.

It doesn't have a brewery - but there's a nifty winery right down the road.

The Dunedin beer is...well...it's not in the same league as any I've tasted in Seattle.

Anyway - not disparaging Dunedin, I've lived here for 30 years, however and just look at Dunedin as a small town. A good one. But a small one.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sickmont
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-04 12:38 pm   Permalink

I would've suggested Venice or Sarasota, but all the old-Florida type places on the beach are being torn down and replaced with condos. And, real estate prices here are going way too far through the roof. But, at least we've got the Bahi Hut to relax at...

View Profile of sickmont Send a personal message to sickmont  Email sickmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-04 2:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-04 12:15, pablus wrote:

I would have mentioned Dunedin except for the fact that you wanted a progressive music scene - which Dunedin does not have, imo. Anyway - not disparaging Dunedin, I've lived here for 30 years, however and just look at Dunedin as a small town. A good one. But a small one.

Hi Pablus. Thanks for your opinions.

In order of importance on the list I submitted, I would put the availability of a local music scene near the bottom; I love all types of music, but rarely venture out to hear live music much at all these days. In truth, I only added that particular item to the list because I have learned that a progressive music scene is often a great barometer for gauging what the local population is like.

As far as the size of a place like Dunedin is concerned, that is not all that important to me, but may make more of a difference to my wife (see, size does matter!)

Personally, I would look forward to a living situation where the town I live in is small, but close enough to drive to a larger city if/when the urge should strike.

I was a Merchant Marine up until 1995 (hence the Sailor Curt moniker) and worked for three years with an ocean-going tug boat company that operated out of St. Petersburg, so I know that area -- including Tampa -- pretty well.

Sailor Curt

View Profile of Sailor Curt Send a personal message to Sailor Curt  Email Sailor Curt Goto the website of Sailor Curt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 1:41 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:03 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-07 08:13 am   Permalink

Hi Chip and Andy:

Thanks for your feedback. You wrote:

Quote:

On 2005-08-05 13:41, Chip and Andy wrote:
Having moved here from the San Francisco Bay Area, I am really happy with the Miami area. We live in Hollywood so we get the best and worst of Miami and Ft. Liquordale.

I just have to ask this question: What is the crime rate like in Miami these days? (I ask because I was once the victim of a street crime while visiting there back in the mid-80's). That has always been my major concern about Miami, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote:
We have plenty of good eats, a limited but exciting arts community, and a few homes that are still reasonably priced. Coming from Seattle the home prices aren't going to scare you as much as some others that come to the area.

How would you describe the housing market in comparison to Seattle or San Francisco?

Thanks again for your comments.

Sailor Curt

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 12:42 pm   Permalink

Miami is not a great town. The crime rate has gone down since the days of Miami Vice, but if you don't speak spanish - you won't fit in. Just to the North are Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. The cities are a bit more integrated and have a more relax vibe. Miami is an hour away so the it makes for a great place to visit. Real Estate has exploded in the last 3 years so finding a nice place - thats affordable - may prove difficult. My suggestion is to visit in the summer during the hottest part of the year - if the heat doesn't bother you then come on down.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-11 07:01 am   Permalink

Using the great comments/facts/suggestions that Tiki Central members have provided on this thread and the information that we have found ourselves, my wife and I are now focusing primarily on Florida's Gulf coast, more specifically, the Tampa/St. Pete area.

We are planning a trip to St. Augustine in late Oct./early Nov. to visit relatives and while we are there, plan to make some driving forays to check out various spots on Florida's west coast first hand.

Thank you again to everyone who offered up opinions and advice. Y'all are the best.

Sailor Curt

Edited to remove bad grammer!

[ This Message was edited by: Sailor Curt 2005-08-11 07:03 ]

Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-13 9:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-02 19:06, sungod wrote:
Sailor Curt, Today is your lucky day!! I just happen to be a real estate agent in Pinellas and Pasco counties. Feel free to email me and I'll be happy to give you some idea of types and cost of some properties. Sungod

Sungod: Thanks for the offer. Email from me on its way to you.

Sailor Curt

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation