FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Visiting Destin, FL area in September...need help snagging a palm!
Visiting Destin, FL area in September...need help snagging a palm!
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 07:21 am   Permalink

I will be visiting the Destin, FL area the week of September 18th and I would love to find a very cheap or free palm(s) for carving.

Can anyone help me? or at least give me some ideas?

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 08:42 am   Permalink

Take a chainsaw. Sabal Palms are indiginous and can be found everywhere. Pine trees are the majority of lumber up there. OR call a landscaping company and have them save you some.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 09:20 am   Permalink

Be careful with the chainsaw though. The Sabal palm or cabbage palm is the State Tree and thus is protected and Some counties do not allow removal without a permit. However there are Always palms being removed for building and landscaping purpouses. Aloha sters you right. Tree companies will usually Give them to you if you show up with a truck and a smile.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 10:06 am   Permalink

Pray for a hurricane.

(Just kidding! As a Floridan, I'm allowed make jokes like that!
21?!!!! You've got to be kidding!)

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 11:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-03 09:20, Benzart wrote:
Tree companies will usually Give them to you if you show up with a truck and a smile.

12 packs of icy cold beer will go far this time of year and it's heat/humidity... Never hurts to have a $20 bill or 2, either.

Most landscaping companies wait til the dead stump has "died" a little before cutting it down- I assume for carving this is a good thing too, as the stump gets to dry out a little- making for less weight are possibly better drying? Less weight helps for sure...

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 11:47 am   Permalink

AlohaStation: Chainsaws scare me too much, but thanks for the suggestion.

Benzart: Thanks, I'll call a few places in advance. Southern charm is my specialty, so I have no problem laying it on.

Philot: funny, but not funny, I have researched the hurrican predictions & it seems the rest of the season is focused on the Eastern part of the U.S. LOOK OUT Carolinas! Our vacation was ruined last year by Ivan.

CaptSkully: So true, I've bribed many friends with a six-pack to move some piece of heavy furniture.

Keeping my fingers crossed. THANKS!

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 12:44 pm   Permalink

The Drier the cheaper its is to ship...If you feel like a puzzle I can ship sawdust and pieces....Good luck and enjoy the visit to the Sunshine/Hurricane State.

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-03 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Pray for a hurricane.

They just had 3 (Ivan, Cindy, Dennis). So there may be plenty of palm stumps around.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation