FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving 8FT's Frankoma project DONE...Final finished photos NOW!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
8FT's Frankoma project DONE...Final finished photos NOW!
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 4:04 pm   Permalink

Are you all having a great summer? I sure hope so.

Well I am starting a new carving and I have decided to handle this latest project just a little differently than I have in the past. Instead of taking progression photos along the way and saving them up until the carving is completely finished before posting them all together, I will be sharing pictures as I go along on this one so you can see what I'm up to and the fun part will be that I am not going to tell you what I am shooting for. Hopefully as I progress the details will be accurate enough to reveal the logs secret identity. I hope to be able to keep working on this fairly regularly because I am really excited about it. However, life happens and time will always be competing with my chisels so wish me luck. I hope it turns out good and that you enjoy the process.
Here's the first shot of the log. It is another sycamore log which I sealed when I got it home. In the picture you can see that I have debarked and begun to square off the ends since they both had very uneven chainsaw cuts from the tree service. Hopefully I won't hack it into an unrecognizable piece of firewood.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-08-24 20:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-09-04 21:33 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-09-06 19:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-09-07 14:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-09-13 17:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-09-17 21:41 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-01 18:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-03 20:53 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-06 21:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-10 15:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-13 21:40 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-10-29 23:22 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 5:42 pm   Permalink

I like it. The idea that you have, that is. Your log and I share the same "project" headlines. I don't know If I was going to show progress shots or not. I too haven't done the progress shots before. The cool part about it is that its live and TC memebers may swing the outcome.

I thought about your name today cause my project has been scaled to a near perfect seven feet. Man seven is taller than I thought seven was, and I am seven. It was right up there with the ceiling fan!

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 6:05 pm   Permalink

Okay , thats not fair . Now I am gonna be checking for updates often and may go crazy waiting...

Good luck , cant wait to see it.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 8:54 pm   Permalink

Hey 8FT! Is that part of the HUGE log you had in your driveway? (Or is that log still there?) Ya know, you can always PM me or something if you need help moving logs around.

Good Luck with the project!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 9:15 pm   Permalink

Hey dude. I already know it will be a sweet tiki when finished. I like the progress shots as you go along

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 9:26 pm   Permalink

Great idea... you'll keep us all guessing. I think they have Sycamores around here - just might have to try some. Is it pretty good about not cracking too much? What's the name/brand of the black sealer goo that you used?

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-07 10:09 pm   Permalink

Silverline, thanks for the offer to help move that big FAT log in the driveway. When that day arrives I will need plenty of help. As I have mentioned before that is 5 feet and about 600 pounds. The log in the pic. above is from a different sycamore tree than the FAT boy and the Pisco.
Now that I have squared off the ends, it is 2 feet tall and still very heavy.

Aaron, the product I used to seal with was an aerosol can of Pruning sealer from the local Ace Hardware and cost me less than $6. It is their brand and is not with the paints but next to the axes and saws. It coats as easy and as fast as spray paint. It is a bit thinner than the old traditional pruneseal that used to come in a quart can. That stuff you had to apply with a putty knife so it was a bit messier. I used the whole can on the 3 new fresh cut hog sized logs I brought home. Hopefully that will help slow the drying and prevent a lot of cracking. I do think sycamore is about as hard as Ash but the cracking is'nt too bad.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 8:42 pm   Permalink

In an attempt to keep the progress shots coming, here is what I have done so far.

The work now totals 7 hours of prep and carving time. Sounds like a lot for the progress but time really adds up fast.

Unfortunately after a 2 month drought here we are now in the second week of a dreary RAIN DELAY!!!!

Can't wait to get back out there. Will post more pics when things dry out....

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-08-24 20:43 ]

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-24 10:43 pm   Permalink

Hey 8 ft, hit us with it as soon as possible...

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 9:38 pm   Permalink

The rains stopped and I have had a chance to get back out there a couple of times since my last update.
I am now up to 10 hours of work on this one. Will have another update very soon.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 06:12 am   Permalink

looks promising. More pics!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 7:50 pm   Permalink

Up to about 14 hours now. This is from Saturday.

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:39 pm   Permalink

I recognize him already! But I won't spill the beans.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2005-09-06 22:24 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:41 pm   Permalink

Great job, 8ft. Great to see such artistry peeking out of that log....

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 9:58 pm   Permalink

I think I know who he is too!!! You are doing a great job!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation