FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Help w/ researching traditional/ authentic tiki designs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Help w/ researching traditional/ authentic tiki designs
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-28 10:08 am   Permalink

hey Taco Loco: thanks for the cool post!

and hewey, thanks for those links; i just found inspiration for my next carving!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 9:15 pm   Permalink

I have done some looking and managed to find some good books on some of the authentic styles...

Of course Oceanic Art is filed with stuff.

Hawaiian Sculpture, by J Halley Cox and William Davenport, has lots of good info and pics of original Hawaiian carvings.

Adorning the World, Art of the Marquesas Islands by Erik Kjellgren has lots of good info on original Marquesan carvings. It showcases the collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Just got Maori Carving Illustrated by W J Phillipps, which has lots of good pics and drawings of Maori carvings. Ordered some other Maori carving books from some bookstore in NZ... will list them when they arrive.

Each of these has info on the origins and types of carvings specific to the particular island, some interesting reading as well as lots of visual examples.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 11:52 am   Permalink

Along with what has been listed, I found a few others.

The Art of Maori Carving by Sidney Mead (EXCELLENT BOOK) it's out of print and kinda hard to find. Actually has a Tutorial on carving.

An Illustrated Guide to Maori Art, by Terrance Barrow. Another good one, has tons of pics and history.

Maori Art and Culture, by D.C. Starzecka Good book for pics and info on the Maori Culture

I have a few more coming in will post when i see them.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 12:33 pm   Permalink

Hi, Taco...a good jumping off point is Sven Kirsten's "The Book Of Tiki", because it shows the work of many of the pioneers(Not quite all, but many) who created the Polynesian Pop style. And as Humu pointed out Anthony J.P. Meyer's Oceanic Art is an excellent reference for the Pacific Rim art from which it sprang. You can also find loads of great imagery and research in the vintage tiki postcards...there is a thread visible now on General Tiki here, and always more than a few pretty neat ones available on E-bay. Also try googling Oceanic Art or Pacific Rim Art.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-17 12:37 pm   Permalink

Also, check out Purple Jade's website, purplejadetiki . She is through osmosis and actual production fast becoming an authority on Pacific Rim art (and it shows in her site), and has probably done more styles than any of us.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-21 5:06 pm   Permalink

Just got another one in.

Carved Histories by Roger Neich
All about the Maori carving histories of Rotura,Ngati,and the Tarawhai. Just got it today and have only browsed through the 100's of pictures. Looks like an interesting history lesson on the Maori. 424 pages $69.95.

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-06 7:15 pm   Permalink

Just got The Art of Maori Carving by Mead. Awesome! First several chapters are on the history and different styles of the different tribes, and then the last section has a step by step on carving a Maori style head.

Also.. Maori Arts of the Gods by Deidre Brown, and Maori Art, the Photography of Brian Brake. These two are more coffee table books, but they have great pics!

I got the three from Reed Publishing in NZ. Shipping cost a lot but well worth it!

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 11:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

Kanaloa

Name: Kanaloa
Origin: Hawaiian Islands
Artist: Unknown
Description: In ancient Hawaiian religion, KANALOA was a god of the ocean, and certain types of healing, crafts and other cultural practices. In legend he was a companion to KANE, the creator god. As such he also had the ability to cause freshwater springs to gush forth from solid rock when he struck it with his staff.

So what does Kane look like, anyway? Has anyone found any images? I've been searching Google, but have been unable to find any images of Kane or any good site that gives detailed info on the major Hawaiian gods. Some sites even disagree as to what Lono looks like....

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 12:18 pm   Permalink

I did a carving based upon a Hawaiian image that was referenced as being Kane. Everyone said,"Hey, that's a great Lono!" Now I show everyone my great carving of Lono.

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 12:24 pm   Permalink

Couple Hawaiians with descriptions here:
http://www.friendlyisleswc.com/carvings2.html

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-16 12:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-16 12:24, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
Couple Hawaiians with descriptions here:
http://www.friendlyisleswc.com/carvings2.html

huhaaaa!
that's exactly what they look like!

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 11:47 am   Permalink

Urgent help needed, please.

I'm searching for some visual reference or description for the hawaiian God Milu [god of the dead], who hung out in lua-a-milu [land of the dead]. I'd prefer something traditional if poss. Soz but the marqueses version Muri [as I understand] won't quite fit my need.

I've checked out TC and found a couple of good text mentions, but am looking for something pictoral or carved.

Checked my reference books with no luck and the electronic interweb doesn't offer much image wise either.

Hope you can help out.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 10:01 pm   Permalink

tikiracer- Curious about your post so i did a little digging.. I don't claim to know anything about the topic tho.

Maybe you found this already but it looks like Kanaloa became Milu. It also appears that Manua is considered the original God of the underworld.

This link doesn't have pictures but has some descriptors of Kanaloa's appearance:
http://www.bluecoast.org/nonprofit/kanaloa/k47.html

He was known as the Great Octopus, God of the Squids (Kahe'ehaunawela), and Great White Albatross. (This could be an interesting depiction creatively speaking.)

Another source did show this image also posted in this thread- don't know the accuracy..

Kanaloa

Here is an interesting bit describing Kanaloa and Manua:
Milu is said to have been a chief on earth who, on account of disobedience to the gods, was swept down into the underworld at death and became its ruler. Both Kahakaloa on Maui and Waipio on Hawaii claim him as chief; Kupihea says that the Kahakaloa story is the older and the Waipio Milu story is patterned after it. According to the Waipio story, Wakea in his old age retired to Hawaii and lived at Waipio, and at his death he descended to the "Island-bearing land" (Papa-hanau-moku) beneath the earth and founded a kingdom there. Milu succeeded him as chief in Waipio and after Milu's death, due to disregard of the tapu set upon him by the god, Milu became associated with Wakea in the rule of the underworld. In the Kumu-honua legend Milu sets himself up against Kane and is thrust down with his followers "to the uttermost depths of night" (i lalo lilo loa i ka po). The name of Kanaloa is sometimes associated with this opposition to Kane and the quarrel said to be because awa was refused to Kanaloa and his followers. Others call Manua the original lord of the underworld of the dead. Manua is said to be brother to Wakea and Uli and is spoken of in the chant of Nuu as "the mischief maker."

Hope this helps somehow.. Good luck.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 01:20 am   Permalink

Awesome, thanks.

I'd not made the connection with kanaloa, and his mythos works really well with what I'm looking for.

Speedy service too.

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
faemage
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-27 10:26 am   Permalink

thanks I have been trying to find out which is which myself.

I was also thinking of getting myself a tiki tattoo but knowing which is which from the below images isn't so easy.

http://www.tattoojohnny.com/tattoo-design-gallery.asp?k=tiki+gods

can anyone help please?

thanks

Fae

View Profile of faemage Send a personal message to faemage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation