Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving More AAC Moai
More AAC Moai
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 06:55 am   Permalink

Man, I feel like i've been gone forever! I was in NY on a business trip all last week, and was unable to do anything tiki-related...

prior to flying out, I made another trip to our fairly local AAC manufacturer, and thanks to their extreme generosity, went home with a car-load and a truck-load of scrap AAC block in various shapes and sizes... FREE! they especially wanted to get rid of these 2 foot long U-shaped blocks that they don't know what to do with. Well, I knew what to do with them... I got to work over the weekend, cutting the blocks in half, made a cardboard template and started carving/sculpting... turns out that they make pretty nice Moai...

here are some in-process shots...

and here's the finished product painted with various colors of Fleckstone paint...

I think i'm hooked on AAC; it's really fun to play with. Benz, now that i'm back, we'll figure out a schedule where I can get you some blocks to try out.

Thanks for looking, and it's nice to be back to the TC world!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 08:27 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing. Free, thats my favorite price.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PEDDRO
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-08 10:49 pm   Permalink

Neat stuff....I bet the AAC maker would love to see what you've done with their old scrap.

View Profile of PEDDRO Send a personal message to PEDDRO  Goto the website of PEDDRO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
flacookz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 03:29 am   Permalink

really like the the style and I would love to do a trade. Interested in a tiki to exchange.

Palm City Tiki

-----------------------------------------------

www.PalmCityTiki.com

View Profile of flacookz Send a personal message to flacookz  Email flacookz Goto the website of flacookz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 05:38 am   Permalink

Peddro: thanks... i'll be taking a couple to the people at the AAC mfgr. who helped me out as a token of appreciation.

Flacookz: thanks... sure, i'll trade one for a tiki.. be aware that they are 1 foot tall. PM me for details.

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 6:29 pm   Permalink

Awesome dude. You inspired me to have a go at an AAC Moai, im still progressing on it. In fact, it turned into a pair of twins!

Maybe see if your supplier would like one? I know at least one carver who gave a carved tiki to a local tree loper, and now gets an ongoing supply of wood for nothing.

Mmmm, maybe i shoould contact my local AAC manufacturer...

Very impressed. I love the style of them. Keep em comin

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 9:58 pm   Permalink

Nice! Those "U" shaped pieces work well.

Hmmmm... somebody's might have to start an "Official AAC Post" one of these days... (hint, hint)

Nice work - looks like you've got a regular Moai factory going there, Palama!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 10:10 pm   Permalink

Is AAC available in the Northeast? Thank you in advance.
Annie

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 07:55 am   Permalink

Try here, Moondance. Good luck!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 10:35 am   Permalink

Hewey: thanks! can't wait to see your Moai twins! i'm taking a couple of the carvings to the people at the AAC manufacturer as a "thank you", and hopefully i can pick up some more while i'm at it. I know it's not tiki-related, but they have slabs of it there that will make great tombstones for Halloween decorations. i already started prepping one of those. AAC is great!

Aaron: i appreciate the comments... i did 4 Moai at one time and tried to get a standardized process worked out for making the one-foot guys; i'm hoping to generate some interest in them as coffee-table pieces or bookends, etc.

Moondance: Aaron's links should give you all the information you need; he's the AAC expert. Good luck!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation