FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Other nostalgia interests besides tiki and exotica
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Other nostalgia interests besides tiki and exotica
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 9:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-09 06:16, Urban Tiki wrote:
Johntiki, a little Empire State Building trivia question for you: Inthe lobby they have discplays of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Can you name them?

I know exactly what you're talking about and I glance at them everytime I'm there! I could've cheated on this question, looked them up and fired them off like I was a contestant on Jeopardy but I didn't... below are the 3 that I remember...

1. The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
2. The Colossus of Rhodes
3. Great Pyramid of Giza

...I had to look the rest up...

4. The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
5. The Pharos of Alexandria (The Lighthouse of Alexandria)
6. The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
7. The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus

I would never have guessed the last 4... the Statue of Zeus rings a bell but the other 3 don't even sound familiar.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DesertFlamingo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-10 9:48 pm   Permalink

I'm not a huge fan of film noir, but I adore old movies in general, and just added a few to my Cary Grant collection.

My tastes include cheesy sci-fi (Plan 9 From Outer Space and The Robot Monster hold special places in my heart), classics like Sunset Boulevard, and so much more.

View Profile of DesertFlamingo Send a personal message to DesertFlamingo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:15 am   Permalink

Vintage 50's house plans, Decorating Books, Felt pennants from tourist destinations, Canadian Kitsch (I dont collect that yet, theres no room in my home, but I like it), Midcentury Modern Furniture... ooh the list goes on!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:16 am   Permalink

I also dig art deco architecture, although it is kinda early for tiki era. I like the idea of combining the two, getting an art deco building and giving it a tiki spin. Coulda happened, somebody 'updating' their old deco style digs in the 'tiki heyday'.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 07:07 am   Permalink

Egyptania (Especially Pop Culture Egyptian)
Megaliths & Megalithic Archetecture (Giant stone assemblages like the Pyramids, Stonehenge, Moai, Nan Madol, etc.)
Anime (I just found a bunch of "Kimba" cartoons for $.99 a DVD, cool!)
Old Computers

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 10:12 am   Permalink

Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, a lot of music from the 30s - 60s.

Neon especially 30s - 50s. 50s - 60s architecture & decor from minty green with linoleum to Naugahyde & teak, leopard print, chrome & barware as well. Mmmmartini & the sophisticated air associated with it.

Sci-fi and B monster movies, weird indi films & old classics.

Vintage advertising & ephemera including off colour representations of cultures around the world

1964 1/2 mustangs & my Dad's 1965 Corvair in glacier gray.
Brewerania, specifically Whitbread's - I am a Whitbread after all.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 11:10 am   Permalink

For me a lot of it is encapsulated in the old TV show, Hawaii Five-0. 70s styles were over-the-top enough, but when you mix in the trop./Polynesian element you really end up with some remarkable results.
Disco music evokes a certain over-the-top retro feel too. Like so much that we might now call "retro," it presented itself as kind of "risque`" at the time but now seems so innocent.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 1:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 11:10, tropicalguy wrote:
For me a lot of it is encapsulated in the old TV show, Hawaii Five-0. 70s styles were over-the-top enough, but when you mix in the trop./Polynesian element you really end up with some remarkable results.
Disco music evokes a certain over-the-top retro feel too. Like so much that we might now call "retro," it presented itself as kind of "risque`" at the time but now seems so innocent.

According to Viacom, Hawaii Five-O is slated to be released in 2006 on DVD!!!

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 13:40, Urban Tiki wrote:

That's all well and good but the question is... when will Paramount release Hawaiian Eye on DVD?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 8:18 pm   Permalink

For anyone who likes noir & who likes to read, Cornell Woolrich's novels are wonderful. I had never heard of him 'til I bought a battered copy of "The Black Path of Fear" for a quarter at a thrift store. His writing is like a drug to me.

I miss being able to tune into Johnny Carson & see Truman Capote in one of his fabulous hats. I miss that old game show that had Kitty Carlyle & Orsen Bean. I miss the Jackie Gleanson show(from Miami Beach)& the June Taylor Dancers.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 9:32 pm   Permalink

KC - Woolrich's "Black Path of Fear" was originally performed on the radio program Suspense in 1944... the story was done again in 1946 with Cary Grant in the starring role but I can't find a link for that online so you'll have to make due with Brian Donlevy's original broadcast...

http://otrfan.com/otr/series/suspense.html

Check it out!

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 05:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 20:18, kctiki wrote:
For anyone who likes noir & who likes to read, Cornell Woolrich's novels are wonderful. I had never heard of him 'til I bought a battered copy of "The Black Path of Fear" for a quarter at a thrift store. His writing is like a drug to me.

I miss being able to tune into Johnny Carson & see Truman Capote in one of his fabulous hats. I miss that old game show that had Kitty Carlyle & Orsen Bean. I miss the Jackie Gleanson show(from Miami Beach)& the June Taylor Dancers.

I saw Trumane Capote, complete with hat, in Trader Vic's when it was in the basement of the Plaza Hotel here in NYC many moons ago (late 70s). I think the game show may be "To Tell the Truth", but they may have done more than one together, possibly "What's my Line. Kitty Carlysle is still alive. A friend of mine was in a play with her about 3 years ago. Shes in her 90s and looks great. I also love The Great One, I remember those shots from above of the JT Dancers that looked like kaleidascopes.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 16:35, johntiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-08-11 13:40, Urban Tiki wrote:

That's all well and good but the question is... when will Paramount release Hawaiian Eye on DVD?

That would be very cool. Wasn't that a crossover of 77 Sunset Strip? The stars used to guest on each others show, anyway. That and Bourbon Street Beat that took place in New Orleans.

[ This Message was edited by: Urban Tiki 2005-08-12 06:03 ]

Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 06:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 10:12, Tikiwahine wrote:
Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Louis Prima, Louis Armstrong, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Elvis, a lot of music from the 30s - 60s.

Neon especially 30s - 50s. 50s - 60s architecture & decor from minty green with linoleum to Naugahyde & teak, leopard print, chrome & barware as well. Mmmmartini & the sophisticated air associated with it.

Sci-fi and B monster movies, weird indi films & old classics.

Vintage advertising & ephemera including off colour representations of cultures around the world

1964 1/2 mustangs & my Dad's 1965 Corvair in glacier gray.
Brewerania, specifically Whitbread's - I am a Whitbread after all.

All very cool stuff- I'm just now starting to collect some Louis Prima stuff- he's the greatest. Ella is also the greatest. I was fortunate enough to see her in the 80s with Oscar Peterson at an outdoor concert in Connecticut- a magical evening. I love old movies and cheesy sci-fi is one of my favorites.

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 07:22 am   Permalink

I forgot to mention...

http://otrfan.com/otr/series/suspense.html

...the episode "The Black Curtain" does star Cary Grant and it was also written by Cornell Woolrich - it's a good one!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation