FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Interview with Maori Carver (with Photos of his Work)
Interview with Maori Carver (with Photos of his Work)
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 09:40 am   Permalink

While in Christchurch, New Zealand this past January, Tiki Emi and I had the good fortune of meeting and chatting with traditional Maori carver, Eruera Ropiha. The only things more impressive than his carvings were his thoughtful explanations of his work. Once back from our NZ adventure, his art lingered in our minds. Thus, we contacted him and arranged the following interview via email for our inaugural issue of Travel Diary.

This interview (along with the entire contents of our Travel Diary Number 1) is available for free at our website, WePlanYourTrip.com. Just click on the following link and scroll to the bottom of the page to access the file (in both image rich and text only versions):

http://www.weplanyourtrip.com/TravelDiary.html

A sample of his work (more and bigger images of Eruera’s work are featured in the Travel Diary interview):

Enjoy,
Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-11 06:43 am   Permalink

Cool. Love the maori carving. Checking it out now

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-12 06:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-11 06:43, hewey wrote:
Cool. Love the maori carving. Checking it out now

Hey thanks hewey! Tiki Emi took the photos. You can see more of her work here:

http://www.weplanyourtrip.com/PictureGallery.html

(a couple of photos might be mine).

I hope you enjoyed the interview.

Cheers,
Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 07:36 am   Permalink

Aloha,

I just wanted to let any interested folks know that my interview with Eruera Ropiha is now available for viewing on the Tiki Chris blog:

http://tikichris.blogspot.com/2006/09/artist-profile-eruera-ropiha.html

Enjoy,
Chris

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 10:04 am   Permalink

Nice piece, Chris!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 1:31 pm   Permalink

I think I may have met this guy several years ago (if) when he was living on the Coast. It sure looks like the same work.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation