[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: The MonkeyPod
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Recipe: The MonkeyPod
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-22 1:10 pm   Permalink

Tamarind Juice/Nectar I can get . . . the 'syrup', I can't. I thought I might try to make the syrup using the juice and natural sugar . . . much like making a simple/bar syrup. TV syrups are not available anywhere around here, so I'll just have to make do with some version of Coconut Creme.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 1:44 pm   Permalink

Ive experimented on the Monkeypod without the Tamarind Syrup and have found that doubling the quantity of Tamarind Juice yields nice results.

its lighter and more refreshing..

another tip I have found.. make your monkeypods in punch form and let it sit for an hour or more... and it actually gets BETTER..

I guess the ingredients need time to blend and meld into eachother.

Modified Monkeypod

3.0 oz Tamarind Juice (a popular brand is Jumex)
0.5 oz Trader Vics KoKo Creme syrup (or some other coconut creme)
1 oz Fresh Lime Juice
1.5 oz Bacardi Light
1.0 oz Myers Dark

Shake with ice and pour into another glass filled with ice.

Garnish with a washed and peeled tamarind fruit and a healthy sprig of mint.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2008-04-29 13:47 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-29 4:09 pm   Permalink

I tried something similar to this when I attempted to make a monkey pod one time. I did not have the syrup, so I used simple syrup and incresed the juice by about 50% (not doubled). I did not have KoKo Kreme so I used Coco Real (which I use for pina coladas, blue hawaiians and tonga leis). I was not delighted with the results. I will give this modified version a try.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 8:00 pm   Permalink

I've always liked this drink. That peeled tamarind fruit is weird looking.
Where's the mug?

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 9:55 pm   Permalink

MM, I just made this drink, it is pretty good but has a stronger coconut taste than I remember it having. The previous recipe was more like the one you made for me a few years back. I like the new one and I followed you recipe but it is more coconut flavored than tamarind flavored. I have to say it is much easier to make.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-01 08:48 am   Permalink

well just to be sure.. its HALF (0.5) an ounce of coconut and not 5 ounces.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-05 08:58 am   Permalink

Mmmm...good job Monkeyman! This is one damn good drink. I used 1/2 oz. Coco Lopez and thought it was perfect. I did as you suggested and made a batch. An hour is too long to wait. Thanks!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-21 5:46 pm   Permalink

Just made the later version, it is absolutely perfect.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation