||Tommy Bahama Music Compilations
Joined: Dec 08, 2004
From: DC Metro Area (MD)
|Posted: 2005-08-09 7:09 pm  Permalink|
On my visit-- make that "mug raid"-- to our local Tommy Bahama store in Tysons Corner, VA, I noticed they had a pair of CD comps on the register. One was dated 2004 and the other (which they had in quantity) is from 2005.
The 2004 disc came home with me since there was only one left, and it's called "Island Hopping." Here's the tracklist:
01 Ka'au Crater Boys: On Fire
02 Pete Escovedo: Leyte
03 Bob Marley & The Wailers: Soul Shakedown Party
04 Desmond Dekker & The Aces: You Can Get It If You Really Want
05 Ken Emerson: Miloli'i Slack Key
06 A Man Called Adam: Yachts
07 The Sunshine Steel Band: Island In The Sun
08 The Pioneers: Let Your Yeah Be Yeah
09 Henri Dikongue: Ndol'asu
10 Fila Brazillia: Nature Boy (a bossa nova-style vibes version of the Eden Ahbez classic)
11 Jeff Narell: Costa Rica
12 Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo'ole: Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World
Aside from Marley and IZ, I've not really heard any of these artists and thought it might be interesting. Will advise soonest with thoughts on the other tracks once I've had a go at them.
Wanted to post this info for those who might want to check these CDs out. They were put together by Rock River Music (www.rockrivermusic.com) which has done discs for Volkswagen and Pottery Barn before, but their website had nothing about these titles. Since TB seems to feel that in-store is the only way to experience what they have to offer, there's likely no info on their website either. Label is "Paradise Nation Records," which turns up 0 hits on Google, so perhaps that's been concocted for TB use only.
Package has nice island map graphics, digipack, and a small booklet inside. It's pretty decent.
Grand Member (first year)
Joined: Jul 27, 2002
From: D.C. / Virginia
|Posted: 2005-08-09 10:37 pm  Permalink|
I purchased the 2005 CD, which is titled 'Coconut Radio' It is a good CD, full of material from the 40's, 50's, and 60's, which would fit in very well with Capital's Ultra Lounge series. About 1/3 of the songs have specific tropical/island lyrics.
The track listing is ...
1. Coconut Woman - Harry Belafonte
2. Along the Way to Waikiki - Bing Crosby
3. Relax Max - Dinah Washington
4. Cha, Cha, D'Amour - Dean Martin
5. Come Dance With Me - Peggy Lee
6. Night and Day - Lena Horne
7. The Girl from Ipanema - Al Hirt
8. What a Little Moonlight Can Do - Billie Holiday
9. Blue Skies - Count Basiefeaturing Jimmie Rushing
10. Let the Little Girl Limbo - Doris Day
11. My Little Grass Shack (in Kealalekua, Hawaii) - Don Ho
12. O Pato (The Duck) - Karrin Allyson
13. On the Beach at Waikiki - Les Paul and Mary Ford
14. Papa Loves Mambo - Perry Como