FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Kona Luanii, Denver, CO
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 10:33 am   Permalink

Great home Tiki bar/room, Zulu. Thanks for sharing all the pics.

Mrs Hoptiki

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nicolemdalton
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-05 11:25 am   Permalink

Definitely one of the coolest basement bars I've seen in a long time. Many many kudos on this one! Really enjoyed all the progress pics and being able to see your creation process. Love all the detail! I wish I had a nice big space like that to play with, but for now I'll keep collecting items & ideas. Love the picture with the kid holding up the rope, haha. Those kids must really get a kick out of having their own tiki-ship in their basement! I know I would!! haha.

View Profile of nicolemdalton Send a personal message to nicolemdalton  Goto the website of nicolemdalton     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 12:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind responses, my kids think it's a big tiki playhouse.

I have this picture hanging in a special place in my bar, but wanted to show it here in detail. This is my grandfather standing on Waikiki Beach during shore leave while his ship was at Pearl Harbor. He was stationed aboard the USS Warhawk during WWII. The Warhawk was a supply ship that traveled the Pacific delivering troops and supplies to various ports in the Pacific theatre. He got to see first hand several exotic ports in the south seas, and like thousands of sailors returning from the Pacific theatre after the war, provided the spark here on the mainland that we know as Polynesian Pop Culture.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 1:55 pm   Permalink

Zulu,

Truly amazing work my friend. It's been fun watching the progress pics, but to see it in it's full splendor is something else. It is truly a high altitude oasis! I could spend hours pouring over the details that are in that room....

Fine work!

- Helz

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 7:10 pm   Permalink

Great work and I can't wait to see it in person. The details are great and the homages to the various tiki sites are fantastic. Can't wait to see the Disneyland fountain!

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-05 11:54 pm   Permalink

Wow! Incredible job!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Minerva
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-06-06 11:55 am   Permalink

Wow. Just wow. I love what you've done with it.

And that's so cool to display the photo of your grandfather. It's inspiring me to get off my duff and make some copies of my father's photos from New Guinea to display (he was another WWII Navy vet).

View Profile of Minerva Send a personal message to Minerva  Goto the website of Minerva     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 12:50 pm   Permalink

I took some of the progress pictures and the final pictures, made a short film and set it to music. Brings it to life a little more. You can see the film here on YouTube.

Zulu

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 2:45 pm   Permalink

very very cool!! outstanding job....of course it's always nice to see my luau lantern peering out from the shelf in you bar!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-05 12:43, ZuluMagoo wrote:
Thanks for the kind responses, my kids think it's a big tiki playhouse.

I have this picture hanging in a special place in my bar, but wanted to show it here in detail. This is my grandfather standing on Waikiki Beach during shore leave while his ship was at Pearl Harbor. He was stationed aboard the USS Warhawk during WWII. The Warhawk was a supply ship that traveled the Pacific delivering troops and supplies to various ports in the Pacific theatre. He got to see first hand several exotic ports in the south seas, and like thousands of sailors returning from the Pacific theatre after the war, provided the spark here on the mainland that we know as Polynesian Pop Culture.

..has anyone else ever noticed how worn down diamond head is now when you see it in modern photos as opposed to older photos like these??? The elements have been workin it over real good over time smoothing out the rough edges.....or do we blame that on global warming as well???

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-11 2:51 pm   Permalink

Tips - I bought that lantern from you many years ago. It was outdoors for years with a can of sterno for burning, now has now moved indoors into a more friendly environment with a red light for show.

Zulu

Paka'a

Posted: 2007-07-21 9:14 pm   Permalink

I am highly impressed, you have truly raised the bar. Well done..

View Profile of Paka'a Send a personal message to Paka'a  Email Paka'a     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elevatorman

Posted: 2007-07-28 01:14 am   Permalink

Very nice job! I would love to come by and see it sometime. Just signed up and was looking for anything in Denver, and your basement looks like the best place there is.

View Profile of elevatorman Send a personal message to elevatorman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-28 7:10 pm   Permalink

Wow man, those finished pics are impressive! The bar's a total credit to you and your talents

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-29 10:22 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for the nice comments. Phase II (the other half of the finished basement and finished bedroom) to begin at a later date. Currently the area is used as a kids play area.

Elevatorman, it is always good to find other local tikiphiles. I hope you can join us at one of our gatherings, they always turn out to be a lot of fun. Check out the Events forum, we have a
Denver thread with all of the local happenings. Also, PM me your email address and I will add you to the Denver Exotica email list. I send out occasional emails about local events, etc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation